Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 06:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,792,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I don't think he missed it at all. You're essentially advocating for going backwards.
Not at all. I think saving the environment and going green is of the utmost importance, but you have to look at the big picture and recognize that just because we find an alternate method to an environmental issue we are facing does it make sense to create a whole new one that didnt previously exist in doing so; using this method will result in an never ending battle.

Take electric cars for instance, they generate more carbon emissions to manufacture, their batteries are made from rare earth elements that require mining which creates additional pollution, and at the end of their lifecycle the batteries create another environmental issue. To top it off, they require a power source to charge the batteries which also creates emissions. New fossil fueled cars are close to zero emissions already, cost less and have less strain on the environment to manufacture.

Nuclear power plants are another big one for me. I am against nuclear power ever since working at a nuke plant and really learned how they functioned. The spent radioactive fuel rods that must be changed on a routine basis must be stored somewhere and they pollute the earth in my opinion far more than anything that a fossil fuel plant produces. Take the possibility of a melt down and the damage that would cause too. WHy not just find a way to reduce the emissions from fossil fuel plants instead? I think solar is the way to go, but the technology just isnt there yet for me.

These are just a couple of examples, but is the direction I think makes sense to solving issues. Why reinvent the wheel if the current one can be better with a few tweaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 09:13 PM

3,668 posts, read 1,626,534 times
Was everything 'green' before the invention of machines? Thousands of years of people living in tribes, and then mud or stone dwellings. Foraging for food, or planting small gardens. Drinking just water from rain or spring. Or fruit juice. Riding on donkeys or horses. No powered machines. Tool making with fire. No electricity.

All that's green, right?

And then came the industrial revolution. The steam engine. Then machines powered by batteries, oils, etc. These machines required excavating minerals for production, creating waste by-products that polluting environment. With machines and new tools new industries can form such as chemical and pharmaceutical industry.

Now we have a world of things made by machine. Before, people had to make things by hand from wood or stone. Even their dwelling. Nothing was powered. Made fire for cooking or heat. All very green, unless they cleared out a whole forest. And they did sometimes.

So I don't think we can ever go full green if we use machines made of metal. Machines made of wood I think would be very green. But not anything made from metals and chemicals.

So image we all lived in stone and wood dwellings (lumber made by watermill power would be green). Local food gardens. Wood fires for cooking/heat. Horse carriage for travel. And that's about it. I wonder how fast the forests would be depleted? Too fast? Or slow enough to be sustained?

Old 12-12-2020, 10:16 AM

18,567 posts, read 15,660,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Where can I find one of these? What is it that leads back to a coal fired nuke plant? I really want to see one.
Try this:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ive%20elements.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:07 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,783,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Not at all. I think saving the environment and going green is of the utmost importance, but you have to look at the big picture and recognize that just because we find an alternate method to an environmental issue we are facing does it make sense to create a whole new one that didnt previously exist in doing so; using this method will result in an never ending battle.

Take electric cars for instance, they generate more carbon emissions to manufacture, their batteries are made from rare earth elements that require mining which creates additional pollution, and at the end of their lifecycle the batteries create another environmental issue. To top it off, they require a power source to charge the batteries which also creates emissions. New fossil fueled cars are close to zero emissions already, cost less and have less strain on the environment to manufacture.

Nuclear power plants are another big one for me. I am against nuclear power ever since working at a nuke plant and really learned how they functioned. The spent radioactive fuel rods that must be changed on a routine basis must be stored somewhere and they pollute the earth in my opinion far more than anything that a fossil fuel plant produces. Take the possibility of a melt down and the damage that would cause too. WHy not just find a way to reduce the emissions from fossil fuel plants instead? I think solar is the way to go, but the technology just isnt there yet for me.

These are just a couple of examples, but is the direction I think makes sense to solving issues. Why reinvent the wheel if the current one can be better with a few tweaks.
This argument was big when Toyota first brought out the Prius hybrid. I read multiple articles in different publications using the same words and phrases to the effect that a Hummer was more environmentally friendly than a Prius. I never bought into that argument and purchased a 2007 Prius that is still running strong as our daily driver.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,325 times
A sustainable lifestyle is now much easier and more popular than it used to be. When I was a student, I didn't understand what it is and why we need it, how to do it. Now there is so much information, sources for both adults and students (like here: https://ivypanda.com/blog/green-tips-for-students/ to lead a green lifestyle. I would like to believe that everyone already understands how important this is for us and our planet.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:32 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,036,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Nope, not a coal fired nuke plant in that article. It is comparing a nuke plant to a coal fired plant. Maybe the wrong link was attached by accident?

Old 03-17-2021, 02:16 PM

3,055 posts, read 5,017,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think you are missing the point.
I think the point is doing a little is better than doing nothing, or waiting for someone else to do the Big Thing. I agree with the premise of the OP.

Here's some on my list:

- Don't waste food. Keep stock of things in the pantry/fridge and eat them before they go bad

- Put stuff in your Amazon cart and wait (if it can wait). You'll realize in a few days what you really need vs what is an impulse buy.

- Pick up trash when you go on walks. I take one of those pickup sticks and the kids play a game of find the trash when we go on hikes. We limit it to one grocery bag each time (I don't want to spend the entire trip picking up trash).

Old 04-29-2021, 05:23 AM

4,257 posts, read 2,566,370 times
Use the critters in your house for pest control. Here is why you should not kill house centipede:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...use-centipede/

Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 PM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Use the critters in your house for pest control. Here is why you should not kill house centipede:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...use-centipede/
I love my spiders. If they can find enough to eat they're welcome to stay.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,337,600 times
Ehh. I do what the laws and regulations say, and what saves me money when it makes sense to me. But I'm not hanging my laundry, I like my lawn, and my kids definitely wore disposable diapers and you know what? So does my 91 years old father. So will some of you. Try and fight THAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living