Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:49 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times

Advertisements

What about pets? If people are going to be serious about this issue the number of pets needs to be reduced. And people need to stop treating them like children, buying them packaged food, clothes and plastic toys.

We have nearly stopped using single use plastic bags here. They are not banned but the major supermarkets charge 15 cents per bag. Though I see increasing numbers of people actually buying them, now I think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
........As for plastic straws, what was wrong with paper straws and actually, why do we even need straws? There aren't that many drinks that are so thick that you need a straw.........
Numerous reasons. To avoid staining the teeth when drinking tea. To extend the range of the drink. To use the philosophy of sipping and not gulping (which can get into our obesity problem and not just be an issue of water conservation in arid regions). To reduce spillage if the drink is capped with a straw. In some applications like CamelBaks or drinks with caps (to reduce the temperature interchange with the outside environment) it's the only way to do it.

Another thing to consider is what is the trade off? I have some bad habits, ones that involve alcohol and others electricity which could be dodged if at the end of the day, I might take a relaxing shower instead of jumping into said debaucheries. Better for me, a better hedge against the industries of debauchery, better for the conservation of electricity.

Yet, if we say strict conservation of our water resources (which is not a bad thing), where does it leave us, where does it leave people in their well being?

Remember, just because something may work for you does not necessarily mean it works for everyone.

Finally, in the political thread, I have asked the question that if we all become vegetarians, are we just replacing one source of methane, cattle, with another, people?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-21-2019 at 02:58 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 02:59 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
When we moved into our home (built in the mid70a) I changed all interior lights to LED bulbs except the kitchen which is a U shaped fluorescent fixture. We live in south Louisiana. Only businesses and fools here water their lawn. My wife is home all the time due to health reasons. That’s why we don’t unplug anything nor do we change the thermostat. It’s set for 74 in summer and 69 in winter. The reason why we need AC today is because our homes are built to prevent natural air flow. The insulation makes a modern home far hotter without AC than homes built before AC. When we needed new TVs we bought LED TVs. They generate much less heat.

My previous home was a 20 year old mobile home with no shade trees. My summer electric bill was $100. I put solar screens on all windows, set water heater to 120 degrees, did laundry in cold water only, use moisture sensor setting on clothes dryer, kept dryer vent clean, cleaned coils under refrigerator, used refrigerator thermometer to set thermostat to the food safe temperature, LED bulbs throughout the house, routine maintenance on central air unit, when possible I used the toaster oven instead of big oven, changed weather stripping when needed, and adjusted AC vents for more balanced air distribution. It’s going to take time and money to do these things to this home. First thing we did was have new insulation blown in. Old insulation was maybe 3” thick. Trees here are a hazard especially in hurricanes. My conservation includes my driving. I bought the most efficient new car that meets my needs, a 2015 Hyundai Elantra. I drive gently averaging around 30 to 33 mpg in town driving. Wife has a Hyundai Kona because of her mobility. She’s averaging 29 mpg around town because of how she drives. December she’s having full knee replacement surgery. Before spring I’m getting a bicycle to ride around town but I can’t do regular shopping riding a bicycle.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Move to a less populated part of the country into a used home nestled in a wooded neighborhood which provides natural shade in the summer and firewood in the winter, with enough space for gardening plus providing a natural habitat for birds, bees and local wildlife.

Buy simple fuel efficient vehicles and live close to work, school, shopping and medical offices and keep the vehicles until they die.

I expect some people will say it's impossible to do the above, but yet, that's what people in most of flyover country are doing.

As to other suggestions on the thread above:
Do not put out bird feeders. According to our state's wildlife division, birds need to find their own food, just like other wildlife. People tend to put out bird feeders for their own pleasure so they can watch the birds, but it is actually harmful, just like feeding the bears. And bird feeders do draw bears in areas where they live, which then hurts the bears.

As for recycling soda cans, just don't drink soda anymore. We haven't bought cans of drinks for probably 25 years.

Plastic bags are still in use where we are, and straws (to the delight and surprise of my CA grandkids). We reuse every single one of the bags that we get from stores.

I find it a bit surprising that anyone would tell a business what sort of packaging they should provide. I think your more sensible options would be things that you could do yourself, like eating the food at the restaurant so there isn't a carryout container or going somewhere else or cooking at home if it bothers you so much. Or start your own company that develops greener packaging for restaurants, but not just tell someone else what to do.

It seems that people pick a couple of green solutions, like no straws, and they are adamant about that, while not doing any of the other greener ideas that seem obvious to others.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
........As for recycling soda cans, just don't drink soda anymore. We haven't bought cans of drinks for probably 25 years.

Not soda but Friskies!

We are down to two cans, more or less, a day but still......those things add up!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Default Educate yourself about pollution before you nitpick suggestions

i just can't beleive how many responders in this thread are negative and resistant to any suggestions.
If you don't like something don't do it just pick one suggestion that works for you and do that.
All of us are responsible to prevent further damage to Earth. Don't be lazy and leave it for someone else to do for you. Individually we make a big impact, change for the better.

Geeeeez
Below are some YouTube videos that will blow your mind.

Ocean plastic pollution

More

Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
7. Turn your thermostat down or up. 66 is warm enough. 71 is cool enough. People survived without central heat and air for decades. You can do it too. Put on some socks.
71? Oh, no. Haha, no, no, no. If I have to freeze at 66, you can turn your thermostat up to at least 78 in the summer. You'll survive. Take off some socks.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Your ideas?

Stop having kids.

Overpopulation is the reason we are in the mess we are in today. If we bring our population down to a more sustainable level, say 2-3 billion people rather than the 8 billion we have now, most of the items listed in the OP will not be necessary.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

As to other suggestions on the thread above:
Do not put out bird feeders. According to our state's wildlife division, birds need to find their own food, just like other wildlife. People tend to put out bird feeders for their own pleasure so they can watch the birds, but it is actually harmful,
There is no harm with feeding birds from bird feeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
71? Oh, no. Haha, no, no, no. If I have to freeze at 66, you can turn your thermostat up to at least 78 in the summer. You'll survive. Take off some socks.
Survive? YES. BE functional? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Stop having kids.

Overpopulation is the reason we are in the mess we are in today. If we bring our population down to a more sustainable level, say 2-3 billion people rather than the 8 billion we have now, most of the items listed in the OP will not be necessary.
Aren’t you glad to be born ? Isn’t it strange that everyone that complains about too many people on earth have already been born ?

Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post

Aren’t you glad to be born ? Isn’t it strange that everyone that complains about too many people on earth have already been born ?
I can't turn the clock back and unborn myself and I am not going to kill myself. All I am saying is the planet, as in all species including humans, will be better off if humans used judicious birth control and family planning. We are a species that is out of control, living beyond its long term sustainability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living