Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

2. Unplug everything in your house except clocks and refrigerators when not in use.

A lot of stuff will draw vampire power, especially electronic items. Unplugging a lamp on the other hand accomplishes nothing. The other issue receptacles are not designed to constantly have things plugged and unplugged. It may last many years doing that but it will wear out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Who said to be cold? 66 degrees is not cold. You do not need to be in tropical conditions.

My 100 year old Grandmother who recently passed would disagree with you. I took care of her for five years, worked out well because she owned a double block. I'd go over to her side I dubbed the Sahara where it was 78, come back to my side where it was 70 and be freezing.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
There is no need to "freeze in the dark". Responsible energy choices don't require sacrifice. That may not appeal to some, but it's the reality. Americans have shown a short tolerance for sacrifice. If you want to accomplish something, it's necessary to deal with reality.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:18 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My 100 year old Grandmother who recently passed would disagree with you. I took care of her for five years, worked out well because she owned a double block. I'd go over to her side I dubbed the Sahara where it was 78, come back to my side where it was 70 and be freezing.
Older people need the heat for some reason. I used to complain to my mother but she explained that for them, the heat had to be turned up-that was doctor's orders. Maybe their bodies have to work harder to keep warm? I don't know, but it isn't good for them to have the heat set at temperatures that seem normal to us.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:20 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
I tossed my tooth brush with the plastic bristles. I now use corn silk and my mouth smells like a fertilized field in May.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
I won't tell you what a fertilized field in May smelled like in Vermont in the 1950s...

FWIW, Corn silk is a diuretic. It also makes good kid tobacco.

RE: older people needing heat - as you age, the metabolism slows. You need smaller portions of food, you wake up more in the middle of the night, and staying warm can be an issue. The process is quite an eye opener. May you live that long.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:14 AM

9,896 posts, read 4,659,887 times
The biggest difference I found were energy saving bulbs replacing all old ones, bill dropped. Problem with clocks is that alot of appliances come with them. And clocks or even some old analogue radio clocks only draw a couple of watts, less than one 40 watt incandescent bulbs.

The biggest draw is probably hvac central or portable units. And large fan with metal blade fan can draw a couple of hundred watts meaning open windows and try to cool yourself and not environment. Also keep in mind energizing or turning a circuit on is about the worst thing you can do to it. That initial surge causes much of the normal wear and tear on an appliance.

Green isn't always about doing everything electronic like receipts, statements etc. Electronic trash is more harmful that pieces of paper and take much longer to disintegrate. When is business says go green most of the time they shifting costs to the consumer, environment last thing on their mind.

I just wish supermarkets and various stores would hold true to their paper bag recycling because every time I take some for recycling store employees even use as a trash can when they clean up their lot.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I won't tell you what a fertilized field in May smelled like in Vermont in the 1950s...

FWIW, Corn silk is a diuretic. It also makes good kid tobacco.

RE: older people needing heat - as you age, the metabolism slows. You need smaller portions of food, you wake up more in the middle of the night, and staying warm can be an issue. The process is quite an eye opener. May you live that long.
Harry, its a joke .

Old 12-22-2019, 08:12 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I think we could all require the businesses in our towns, such as fast food restaurants to use biodegradable packaging.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:33 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think we could all require the businesses in our towns, such as fast food restaurants to use biodegradable packaging.
I agree 100%. We have a somewhat new little shop that specializes in smoothies, salads, and nice sandwiches, all organic. Yet when they pack it up for you, it's wrapped up in aluminum foil and then placed into a big plastic container. I cringe. Most of the time I tell them to skip the container and just give it to me in the foil because I'm only taking it home and don't really need a big plastic clam shaped container too. They could just wrap it up in the paper that used to be used in butcher shops. I don't need foil and plastic.

Our grocery store has started a buffet style bar and when I use that, you get a cardboard type container that you fill with your choice of meat, potatoes, roasted vegetables. I wonder if that cardboard container is biodegradable--I definitely prefer it to the hard plastic containers used by the organic place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living