Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,226,882 times

Advertisements

The picture is in Colorado (Park County) close by to our spot and there are plenty of spots around that have this amount of fuel on the ground. In this area at 8700 ft el, I dont think anything is really out of normal nature wise but there are simply dead trees around. The dead trees do decay but because of the conditions, its a bunch of years before they dont burn very well. There is 25 square miles of this sort of thing just east of me and I think anyone who thinks you can "clean" this up has never been to a forest. Cost would be enormous. Nature would take care of this best.. but there are homes sort of close so fires would be put out.

Just saw this also which is interesting for fires in the Sonoran and Mohave deserts created by non native plants.
https://janemming.com/2019/11/09/son...cactus-forest/

Attached Thumbnails
What to do with so much dead wood?-elevenmile1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 AM

3,010 posts, read 1,975,977 times
If fire is your dominant fear then creating a firebreak might be an option. Do you have access to a forester or can your local extension office direct you to one?

Birds such as owl and woodpeckers need standing dead trees. Cutting down suitable trees is harming your property by driving them away. They eat insects and are a link in the chain of ecological health.

Are there low-income families nearby that could use firewood for winter? Contact non-profits and see if they can make a connection. Not saying you have to do all the work of cutting and chopping, just let the right people know it's available to harvest on the ground. Or even non-poor people. I've used craigslist to give away a lotta stuff.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If fire is your dominant fear then creating a firebreak might be an option. Do you have access to a forester or can your local extension office direct you to one?

Birds such as owl and woodpeckers need standing dead trees. Cutting down suitable trees is harming your property by driving them away. They eat insects and are a link in the chain of ecological health.

Are there low-income families nearby that could use firewood for winter? Contact non-profits and see if they can make a connection. Not saying you have to do all the work of cutting and chopping, just let the right people know it's available to harvest on the ground. Or even non-poor people. I've used craigslist to give away a lotta stuff.
I have given away sixteen three fourths ton pickup trucks loads full of firewood and I am not done. I will be giving away more. So far I have just asked coworkers if they need any. I actually should have, if he shows up, one coworker with equipment that is supposed to be here tomorrow. Of the sixteen loads I gave away; I also hauled all but four of them with my pickup truck. Most of my coworkers that wanted firewood did not have access to a truck. I even hand split the larger logs!

As far as the birds needing dead wood, if the predictions are true, they will never run out!

Possibly there is a volunteer firefighter here on the thread? As far as firebreaks I have no idea how that plays out? I presume that firefighters use some form of special 'eminent domain' when a choice has to be made for the greater good of the community?

That said; keeping your own property free of dead wood and leaf litter is creating a "firebreak" for yourself and your neighbors.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
The picture is in Colorado (Park County) close by to our spot and there are plenty of spots around that have this amount of fuel on the ground. In this area at 8700 ft el, I dont think anything is really out of normal nature wise but there are simply dead trees around. The dead trees do decay but because of the conditions, its a bunch of years before they dont burn very well. There is 25 square miles of this sort of thing just east of me and I think anyone who thinks you can "clean" this up has never been to a forest. Cost would be enormous. Nature would take care of this best.. but there are homes sort of close so fires would be put out.

Just saw this also which is interesting for fires in the Sonoran and Mohave deserts created by non native plants. https://janemming.com/2019/11/09/son...cactus-forest/
I believe that picture is of a forest that has been selectively harvested for it's timber. It looks like straight cuts on some of the logs. Regardless there will always be some dead left behind; whether it is from a 'natural' or a man made process that caused the trees to die. The closer together the dead trees lay to one another; the greater the potential for fire.

As far as your invasive plants crating a fire problem for our deserts; they are 'terraforming' our whole Country. I have the Japanese stiltgrass taking over some parts of my lawn. My neighborhood is fighting the invasive Japanese knotweed. Most of the invasive pest are from Asia and many of the invasive plants. In most cases we have either intentionally or unintentionally introduced these plants that were not part of 'our nature'. We might not recognize our forest as all of this plays out.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I believe that picture is of a forest that has been selectively harvested for it's timber. It looks like straight cuts on some of the logs. Regardless there will always be some dead left behind; whether it is from a 'natural' or a man made process that caused the trees to die. The closer together the dead trees lay to one another; the greater the potential for fire.
FYI, definitely no timber harvesting in that area at least in the last 40 years that I have been going up there (its on National Forest and right next to a Colorado state park). There may be a chainsaw cut wood in the picture because it is a rock climbing spot and the climbers might have moved a dead tree of two. Anyhow.. that is pretty much all natural and common. There was a forest fire a little less than ten years ago about 3 miles away started by folks target shooting explosive targets during a fire ban.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
FYI, definitely no timber harvesting in that area at least in the last 40 years that I have been going up there (its on National Forest and right next to a Colorado state park). There may be a chainsaw cut wood in the picture because it is a rock climbing spot and the climbers might have moved a dead tree of two. Anyhow.. that is pretty much all natural and common. There was a forest fire a little less than ten years ago about 3 miles away started by folks target shooting explosive targets during a fire ban.
That kind of brings up a good point. The National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management do conduct timber sales as an authorized use: https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R45688.html. While that area has not been harvested; other areas could be harvested as more forest dies or is threatened.

Here is a link that shows the spread of the emerald ash borer: Emerald Ash Borer | Timelines. Just click on the years to watch how fast this pest has spread. Last year I thought I had 20 beautiful ash trees and this year I know I have 20 dead ash trees on my five acres - the borer does not leave any survivors. If you visit that link you can see that it has spread to your state Colorado. There is a very good chance that it will kill every ash tree in your state and in a short period of time. That wood has some value if harvested quickly. Harvesting will decrease the chance of fire in the long run.

Here is a picture I took of the damage done by the emerald ash borer on my trees:

Keep in mind that even though they did all that damage under the bark, to twenty of my trees, I have never seen one of the emerald ash borers on my property!

Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Had some trees die in Denver, I believe they were Ash and had that same pattern.

I cut the wood up and burned it. Sometimes I would split the wood and find a live grub.

Confession. I admit to taking at least a little delight in immediately burning the wood with the grub

Old 11-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Had some trees die in Denver, I believe they were Ash and had that same pattern.

I cut the wood up and burned it. Sometimes I would split the wood and find a live grub.

Confession. I admit to taking at least a little delight in immediately burning the wood with the grub
In the picture I took of my wood can you find the picture of the cartoon bear? Also can you translate the Chinese writing?

The problem with the emerald ash borers is that you have to use systemic pesticides (poisons) to protect your trees and that can cost up to $100/year I am told. I had 20 trees and it would have been costly. It isn't only that; but I never saw this coming (I never even saw one grub). Plus there is something about applying so much pesticide to our soils that goes against the grain. If I did start the pesticides; how many years would I have had to use them before my trees were again 'safe'?

By this coming Spring I will just have more lawn to take care of. I should have them all down and the stumps ground by that time.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,847,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One thing about feeding wood into a inside boiler is the dirt and bugs you bring into the house. There is nothing like grabbing a log and not seeing the hole in it and then bringing it in to warm up; later to find hundreds of ants crawling all over your house. Of course then there are the many spiders that you also bring in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om1pfiCzzT8

Old 11-15-2019, 05:12 AM

Hey; he doesn't have to worry about the ants and spiders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living