Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 02:34 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

In Italy, they've introduced.....Pasta Straws
https://educateinspirechange.org/pop...-EPJB77fDsCbvI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 03:50 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In Italy, they've introduced.....Pasta Straws
https://educateinspirechange.org/pop...-EPJB77fDsCbvI
They had "pasta straws" at a local Italian restaurant my husband and I recently went to. They were kind of wierd, in my opinion. They were wider in diameter than a regular straw, and I think probably thicker than most pasta "tubes". I imagine that was so they wouldn't disintegrate while the customer uses them.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
What happened with the old fashioned straw for drinking straws? You would think that there must be an abundance of straw... no?
I think plastic cups and to go clear plastic and styrofoam containers are a bigger problem.

BTW: why people just can't drink from cups and need straws?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:43 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What happened with the old fashioned straw for drinking straws? You would think that there must be an abundance of straw... no?
I think plastic cups and to go clear plastic and styrofoam containers are a bigger problem.

Sorry, but I need a real straw with my pina colada or frozen daiquiri, and I'm not optimistic about trying to wash citrus pulp out of a metal straw afterwards. For soft drinks and juice, I agree straws are unneeded.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:40 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:

You don't even want to think about the floors of movie theatres before lids and straws were introduced. Further, one of the customers when straws and lids were first introduced made the comment that the slit in the lid for the straw needed to be in the center - as a blind person, it was possible for him to find that spot easily. People in a movie are seriously vision impaired.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:

Ha! An actual straw straw. How novel!

And I mostly feel the same way because I never use a straw. I drink tea or coffee or a glass of water. No straw needed. But back when I used to have soda once in a while, the straws were made of paper.

It could be nearly hopeless though. Think of all the packaging from Amazon and other mail order businesses. I got a package today in a paper envelope with bubble wrap attached to the paper. I wanted to separate the bubble wrap from the paper so that I could re-use it but it's fused. And they also have to use plastic bags for shipping to make them waterproof.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:39 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Sorry, but I need a real straw with my pina colada or frozen daiquiri, and I'm not optimistic about trying to wash citrus pulp out of a metal straw afterwards. For soft drinks and juice, I agree straws are unneeded.

I didn't mention metal straws although they are getting more and more common. (Wheat straws are perfectly fine by me). I wouldn't want any reusable straw in my restaurant/bar drink (yeah, are they properly cleaned, inside?), but at home, cleaned with the thin brushes, they are OK. I don't use any straws, though.

I just don't understand why are they so expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/HAY-Natural-D.../dp/B07MXQ2NHS
They should cost like $2 or so...

They are much cheaper in Europe.
Germany: https://www.amazon.de/Strohhalme-Umw...KV/ref=sr_1_44

Last edited by elnina; 11-17-2019 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ha! An actual straw straw. How novel!

And I mostly feel the same way because I never use a straw. I drink tea or coffee or a glass of water. No straw needed. But back when I used to have soda once in a while, the straws were made of paper.

It could be nearly hopeless though. Think of all the packaging from Amazon and other mail order businesses. I got a package today in a paper envelope with bubble wrap attached to the paper. I wanted to separate the bubble wrap from the paper so that I could re-use it but it's fused. And they also have to use plastic bags for shipping to make them waterproof.

It's been 25 years since I used a straw. At that time, I became aware of the health dangers of drinking artificially-sweetened soda pop and quit it and straws. I have used dandelion stems as drinking straws, as a kid. They make interesting musical instruments, as well. Does anyone else remember paper straws that had chocolate flavor and sweetener in them, for drinking milk?

Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
I don’t use straws, I just drink from the glass or bottle.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I don’t use straws, I just drink from the glass or bottle.
Yeah, me too ! What ever happened to people just drinking out of a glass ? When I go to a restaurant and my soda comes with a straw sticking out of it, I remove it and lay it on the table and drink right from the glass. Guess what ? IT WORKS !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living