Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
CO2 will sink to the bottom not rise to the top of the atmosphere.

You started out strong, jd, but then this blunder. If that were really how it works, the panic over CO2 should be a thousand times where it's at. Climate, sea levels, temperatures... all that would be moot if CO2 is "draining" to the bottom of the atmosphere and making most/all of the earth's surface uninhabitable.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I look at the results of what all this 'climate change' is leading to.

In my home state of Maine, they want to pass legislation that will add 40 cents per gallon to gas and heating oil. Maine is a very cold state and a relatively poor state, with low population density and few good paying jobs. We also have a lot of retirees here. The governor would like to force us all into electric cars, which few can afford. If these measures are passed, it would create a lot of hardship. Maine is already effectively carbon neutral.

I am deeply suspicious of the UN. Most of this climate change nonsense is coming from there. They want the richer nations to support the poorer nations, which most of us already do, but the UN is promoting actual wealth transfer. A big chunk of this would come from a carbon tax. You can see what that man behind the curtain is really doing.

As has been already pointed out, the rich, elites, celebrities, Greta, and Al Gore himself have absolutely zero intention of changing their lifestyles. They live in large mansions, travel by private jet, and use a disproportionate amount of energy. If they expect me to take them seriously, they'd better institute change from the top down!

This is just their way of showing their contempt for the rest of us. Wake up, plebs!

Old 01-17-2020, 02:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
I'll panic when I see those rich libs in the Hamptons selling their Beach houses for a dollar.........

Old 01-17-2020, 04:39 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,773,896 times
It's not about whether the earth is warming. It is about what, if anything, we should do about it. And how do we adapt to it.

Liberals have gone for the "vote for us or else we all die from climate change" angle. It seems to actually be working for them, and it's a great spot to be in because they can't actually fix the problem so just keep voting for them for the next 500 years while their policies don't make a lick of difference but "they care".

...when in reality, the free market (think Tesla, skyrocketing coastal insurance, etc) is much better equipped to deal with climate change than some agreement among governments that wouldn't even have a real impact anyway.

Just my .02.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:56 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Threads like this are a waste of time for everyone. Do you think people are going to be convinced by some bogus logic on a forum? Do you think it's going to lead to some kind of intelligent logical discourse that will "finally convince those pesky alarmists"? Do you think you're going to get a rise out of people, or humiliate those on the other side?

I mean, out of the dozens of threads like this that already exist (not just here but also on the Weather Forum and the P&OC forum) do you see anyone on either side changing their views or getting convinced either way? No.

/thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
This thread has reduced the global IQ by 20 points.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:28 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Sir, no one is denying Climate Change

This is about Climate Panic. Also this is about the actual affects and the actual cause. A 15 year sample is not enough! Sure its been getting a little warmer the last few years. That's nice. I don't deny this. Is it reason to believe that we will be extinct soon because of the little warm up? That part is hogwash. Completely fabricated hogwash is causing worldwide panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Climate change models from 2004 have proven to be quite accurate.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2943/s...ections-right/

It's reasonable to expect that to be true moving forward, unless we hit some sort of inflection point and experience a sudden climate change.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Oh, cool. I'll take your assessment over thousands of meteorologists, oceanographers, geophysicists, astrophysicists, atmospheric scientists, etc. that actually work with real data and have a basic understanding of biogeochemistry.

Thanks for simplifying all that, real estate agent.
Ben Franklin is credited with discovering electricity. Morse is credited with inventing the telegraph. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Who discovered "climate change"? Or was it invented?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 PM

Default CO2 is recaptured by natural absorption

Well it certainly is not floating to the top either. Some of it must be settling below the air masses. Air samples have proven that CO2 only comprises about .04% or 4/10,000's of the total atmospheric gasses. I certainly don't think that will make the earth uninhabitable. Not by a long shot.
Does anyone remember the Ice Age? The earth warmed up at least 6 or 7 degrees and there is absolutely no scientific way to prove how much carbon was in the atmosphere during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
You started out strong, jd, but then this blunder. If that were really how it works, the panic over CO2 should be a thousand times where it's at. Climate, sea levels, temperatures... all that would be moot if CO2 is "draining" to the bottom of the atmosphere and making most/all of the earth's surface uninhabitable.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 PM

Default Yes correction

I should have worded that to say. CO2 will sink to the bottom before it will rise to the top. You are correct that CO2 does mix with he other elements and stays together just like the air we breathe. My point is that CO2 does not rise to the top it is more likely to settle below nitrogen and oxygen and of course helium .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living