Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle?
Price 33 30.56%
Performance 2 1.85%
Convenience/Logistics (range anxiety, lack of charging spots, etc) 58 53.70%
Other (please specify) 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:00 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Price.

It's very hard to justify $50k or so for a Model 3 when you can get a gently used CUV for half the price.

Range could be an issue from my location going northbound. There isn't much on I-81 going north for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
All of the above the range of an Electric car is no better then most cars these days not to mention I like to be able to pass people. As a driving enthusiast that’s nothing exciting about an electric car.

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times
It's just too expensive from the outset. I can buy a couple year old used Honda/Toyota for $15k and ten years of gasoline for the price of an electric. Just doesn't make economic sense.

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
My experience with cordless tools keeps me from buying an electric car.

Does your experience with paper airplanes keep you from flying on airlines?

Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
The fact that I don't want one, mostly.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Here in the Northeast it's really cold right now. There's nothing as comforting as a full tank of gas when contemplating the possibility of a 2-hour drive home with the heater, headlights, and wipers going full blast all the way.

I can't afford to keep a whole spare gasoline engine car "just in case".

Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I would love to have an electric car, but it would have to be small, light, cheap, and comfortable (a two-door is mandatory - four-door short wheelbase cars are too hard to get in and out of, and a hatch would be preferred). Something like a Renault (Zoe?), but something similar to the original RAV-4 would be perfect. It would handle about 90% of my vehicular needs as a "city car". When I want to take a trip or haul something big, I'd rent something or do the Home Depot pickup two-hour rental thing, or even keep my minivan as a hauler. It would need about a 100 mile range. But it would also have to be inexpensive, the Leaf and Bolt are way overpriced for what they bring to the table. It appears they have these things in Europe and China. Why not the USA? Not enough profit margin? Until someone is willing to sell me something that I want at a price I consider reasonable, I'll keep driving gassers.
Probably more because the US in general seems to want crossovers, trucks, and SUVs more than anything else.

The Honda e looks perfect except 1) its price is several thousand too high and 2) it's not coming stateside

The Mini Cooper SE is coming stateside in March of this year and it's a two door hatchback city car that'll likely have a bit more than 100 mile EPA range, and the base MSRP is about 30K before incentives. Depending on the state incentives you have available, those state incentives on top of the federal tax incentives might make the real price quite a bit lower.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I'm waiting for better infrastructure, wider usage and for more financial stability. I think electric cars are a great idea. The people I know who have them love them. I live in a suburban area and work from home. I would love an electric vehicle for a daily driver and a larger Subaru for occasional use (trips with dogs, longer trips, drives into the mountains, etc.).

Right now I drive a Subaru Forester, just like 90% of Colorado. LOL. I've beat the hell out of it in the 7 years I've owned it and it will have absolutely no resale value. But that's kind of what I got it for, and it's mechanical functions have been well maintained, even though it looks like it underwent some sort of carpet bombing. It has 80,000 miles on it now, and I expect to keep it at least until 150,000 miles.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default Here is a very objective summary of a long distance trip in an electric car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Before the Cybertruck was announced, I told myself that I would not buy an EV anytime soon. Not at least until a longer range battery became standard and the charging network was better. But the version of the Cybertruck that I preordered will get about 350 miles per charge, which is sufficient for me. And I'm sufficiently pleased with the Tesla charging network (specifically super charging).

Quite frankly, I still am not thrilled about the idea of waiting to charge my vehicle, even at a super charger, but understanding more of how it works, I know that I won't be waiting charge my car one hour at a time; you essentially charge for the amount of time it takes to get you to the next charging station (with an added in buffer), with many people telling me 10-15 minutes for a decent amount of juice. Some journalists took a long distance road trip (I forget from where to where) and the EV charging only added on like an extra hour or so, which isn't terrible.

Here is a very objective summary of a long distance trip in an electric car. One of the bigger problems as I see it, is the lack of people who supply parts or do repairs of electric cars in rural areas of the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC95WACQhCY

Old 01-20-2020, 10:24 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Here in the Northeast it's really cold right now. There's nothing as comforting as a full tank of gas when contemplating the possibility of a 2-hour drive home with the heater, headlights, and wipers going full blast all the way.

I can't afford to keep a whole spare gasoline engine car "just in case".
2 hour drive home at an average of 70 miles per hour, so 140 miles? The majority of EVs this model year at least on some trim level can make that with heater, headlights, and wipers going full blast all the way these days unless you're talking about running the heater full blast with the windows open the whole way, but then that's kind of crazy to do.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-20-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive