Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That link wouldn't open for me (Page Not Found) but I have a pretty good idea what it's about if it's with regard to the impact of cats and dogs on the environment and habitats.

I love cats and dogs all to millions of bits and pieces, I wouldn't want to eat them, but I do think it would be better for the entire world environment if there were less cats and dogs and other animals being kept as pets that are not earning their keep in service. Working service animals aren't pets, they are partners and humans don't need pets, they just want pets because pets are a luxury and for many, just a status symbol.

My pet is not a luxury or status symbol but a member of my family. Being a widow I enjoy her company. The cat, not as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Would the world be a better place without cattle? Evidently, we can get along just fine food-wise without them. It would free up a lot of land for other uses.

https://www.kswo.com/2020/01/20/fake...meaty-success/
I eat as many of them as I can, and the darn things still keep popping up everywhere.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
My doctor recommended that I eat more read meat, and my preference is for cow, so no. perhaps a method can be created to capture the methane from their farts and use it to generate electricity. This has been done for many years now at sewage treatment plants. It's just a matter of keeping them within range of a collection device and finding a way to attach to them. Maybe someone will get rich off of my idea.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My doctor recommended that I eat more read meat, and my preference is for cow, so no. perhaps a method can be created to capture the methane from their farts and use it to generate electricity. This has been done for many years now at sewage treatment plants. It's just a matter of keeping them within range of a collection device and finding a way to attach to them. Maybe someone will get rich off of my idea.
Why do you think I'm buying methane fuel cell companies, specifically BE which is developing this.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:11 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Cows would be ok east of the Mississippi or relegated to the Great Plains where they controlled vegetation beneficially, same as the bison did.

Where they don't belong is the fragile West where most of them are, creating dust bowls. The ranching lobby is still amazingly powerful in the West.

I've been on real cattle drives and it's something to see. Much of the world exists on more efficient meat producers like goats sheep, fish...but I do love a good burger...
Disregarding a couple of mayor cities which happen to be there now?

Old 01-23-2020, 12:32 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

It's been done. Many garbage dumps collect the methane and turn it into electricity already. Hog operations collect the manure in storage pits, and every year a couple American hog famers accidently die from asphyxiation by methane when working in or near those pits. MotherEarthNews 20 y/a had an article about a hog farmer who collected the methane and ran it thru an old Chevy V8 to produce electricity....It's not really cost effective and even for the big landfill operations it doesn't produce very much energy-- just not enough methane there.

We discussed bovine methane here a few months back. If I remember the calculations correctly, although methane is 85x stronger than co2 as a ghg, it's only present in 1/1000th the concentration in the atm. That produced by cattle hardly budges the needle compared to the huge natural reserves being constantly released from sequestration....Another mountain out of a mole hill problem.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Corn & beans don't fix carbon?

If we didn't have the cattle we wouldn't be using the cropland for feed corn & soy beans, but we'd be factory farming it for even more veggies for human consumption. (Not to mention, cattle can be pastured on land unfit for cultivation.)

From the energy efficiency standpoint, it's better to let the animals convert the plants into meat and then we eat the meat, than for us to inefficiently digest plant material.

Check this calculation out with your favorite nutritional values site: it takes only 8 oz of beef (500 cal) to provide the healthy 60gm protein per day the average human requires....It takes 3200 cal per day of corn/rice/beans to provide that 60 gm protein.

Definition of bad economy: taking such long strides to save your $10 shoes that you split your $20 pants.

Eating meat is an incredibly inefficient use of energy. But, you've been posting crazy calculations for years on a variety of topics. The amount of energy to create that 8 oz of beef is way way higher than eating the plants itself, around 6 pounds of grain to create that 8 ounces, plus 1000 gallons of water.

We could revert a lot of high intensity agriculture land back to prairie, and eat a plant based diet, and come out way ahead.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:04 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's been done. Many garbage dumps collect the methane and turn it into electricity already. Hog operations collect the manure in storage pits, and every year a couple American hog famers accidently die from asphyxiation by methane when working in or near those pits. MotherEarthNews 20 y/a had an article about a hog farmer who collected the methane and ran it thru an old Chevy V8 to produce electricity....It's not really cost effective and even for the big landfill operations it doesn't produce very much energy-- just not enough methane there.

We discussed bovine methane here a few months back. If I remember the calculations correctly, although methane is 85x stronger than co2 as a ghg, it's only present in 1/1000th the concentration in the atm. That produced by cattle hardly budges the needle compared to the huge natural reserves being constantly released from sequestration....Another mountain out of a mole hill problem.
Hey, wait a second, I had a college roommate that use to light those things and heat the room. Until the day he lost some hair and caught his underwear on fire! Perhaps somebody should have told him: Don't Do this at Home!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:55 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
No more greaseburger and diesel fries? No way!

Old 01-23-2020, 05:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Damn I could go for a nice ribeye about now. Love beef and it is super good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living