Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

You're referring to the Italian designed Isetta, built under license in several different countries from '54-'61. It was powered by a single cylinder motorcycle engine and chain driven--essentially a motorcycle with a roof, sides and a door. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

The two biggest factors determining fuel consumption (whether we're talking about gasoline, Diesel or electricity) are weight of the vehicle and how fast you drive it. E = 1/2 mv^2. The lower the "m" or the "v," the less energy required....Other factors like wind resistance and engine design or size contribute little compared to "m" & "v."
--
Those little 50cc scooters (Moped, etc) have been around for almost a century and get 100mpg--but they suffer from the drawbacks of any 2-wheeler- poor cargo capacity, exposure to the elements (a big factor in cold or wet weather) and safety issues (no "minor "fender benders" on a bike)..Another "niche vehicle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 07:41 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
That thing wouldn't hold up too well following a head on collision with my Ford F450 Super Duty.

I may not even notice.
I can't remember the last time I saw a F450 in a city. Nor can I think of a time when someone in a city would need that.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You're referring to the Italian designed Isetta, built under license in several different countries from '54-'61. It was powered by a single cylinder motorcycle engine and chain driven--essentially a motorcycle with a roof, sides and a door. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

The two biggest factors determining fuel consumption (whether we're talking about gasoline, Diesel or electricity) are weight of the vehicle and how fast you drive it. E = 1/2 mv^2. The lower the "m" or the "v," the less energy required....Other factors like wind resistance and engine design or size contribute little compared to "m" & "v."
--
Those little 50cc scooters (Moped, etc) have been around for almost a century and get 100mpg--but they suffer from the drawbacks of any 2-wheeler- poor cargo capacity, exposure to the elements (a big factor in cold or wet weather) and safety issues (no "minor "fender benders" on a bike)..Another "niche vehicle."
We had our one shot at a cheap small vehilce that promissed very high fuel ecconomy. Unfortunatley all the investors now want their money back: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...nix-based.html. Elio sounded great, but maybe too great and many had preordered their cars.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:33 PM

We had an even better chance in the '60s until the lawyers got involved (notably Ralph Nader) and made it financially impossible for GM to continue production of the Corvair. It was essentially an American made VW back in the days of the 6000lb, 6 seat behemoths Americans usually preferred.

They tried again with the Geo, a 3 cylinder car that got 50mpg in the 90s-- but market forces killed it off.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Essentially a golf cart. I can't think of anywhere you could drive in traffic at 27mph and not cause a traffic build up behind you.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Essentially a golf cart. I can't think of anywhere you could drive in traffic at 27mph and not cause a traffic build up behind you.
Other than on a freeway with minimum speeds, that's tough luck for those behind you.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Other than on a freeway with minimum speeds, that's tough luck for those behind you.
Maybe if you don't care about people leaning on the horn, tailgating you, cutting you off, maybe rear ending you, cursing you as they pass.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought it was kinda cute, too. Though the French cars that were, I think, 1-person vehicles, where the entire front of the car was the door, lol, were pretty intriguing. But they don't qualify as bicycles, technically. They require a regular driver's license to drive. Are those still around?
My uncle had one he was going to fix and get running one of these days for 40 years, finally sold it. I doubt they are made any longer. They are cute.

The OP car, looks like a fancy golf cart. They have retirement communities that allow them. But can't be used on city roads. I saw a COPS type show where a drunk guy was driving his to the liquor store down the street from his senior community, time the police he did it all the time. Got a ticket for being drunk while operating not legal motor vehicle on road. He of course had lost his DL for DWI years before.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We had an even better chance in the '60s until the lawyers got involved (notably Ralph Nader) and made it financially impossible for GM to continue production of the Corvair. It was essentially an American made VW back in the days of the 6000lb, 6 seat behemoths Americans usually preferred.

They tried again with the Geo, a 3 cylinder car that got 50mpg in the 90s-- but market forces killed it off.
I looked up the Corvair. Looks spiffy.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I looked up the Corvair.

Had to look it up? I keep forgetting I come from a different world than you young Earthlings.

The people that fascinated me were my grandparents' generation. They were born in the days of horse & buggy and gas lamps and lived to see Man on the Moon....And now we have The Millennials- born in the days of the WWW& PCs and now they have iPhones and need the internet to turn their house lights on and off. That's progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living