Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times

Advertisements

Pick the place where you think you will enjoy living, go there, check it out to make sure, then buy a place and stop worrying about everything. You probably have a better chance of being hit by a car, or having a heart attack fretting over global warming than dying in some natural disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Pick the place where you think you will enjoy living, go there, check it out to make sure, then buy a place and stop worrying about everything. You probably have a better chance of being hit by a car, or having a heart attack fretting over global warming than dying in some natural disaster.
Had to give you extra positive points on that one agreatlife! Well said! There are way too many fear mongers on the Television today.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you have a point. I'll just chill and trust that the environment won't change too rapidly in the next 100 years or so.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I imagine that if you were to add up the number of automobile related fatalities over the past 25 years and do the same thing for death by natural disasters, that far more people were killed in automobiles. So enhance your chance of staying alive by driving safely and cutting down on the time you spend in a car.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 21,550 times
Here's what going to happen with global warming; in the event of the Greenland icecap collapsing, there will be a sea-level rise of about 6.5 to 7 meters--about 21-23 feet. If West Antarctica's ice-sheet collapses, there will be a sea-level rise of about 8 meters. If the East Antarctic ice-sheet goes as well, there will be a rise of about 65 meters. So in total we're looking at a rise of ca. 80 meters as the worst-case scenario. The duration of these projected changes is between 100 years to 200 years--depends who you talk to as to what time-limit they give.

The other problem with the loss of ice-caps is that when the ice is removed, the land beneath (which has been pressed down by the weight of the ice) rises back up--it's a geological process known as isostatic rebound. Normally the amount of land-depression under ice is 1/3 the thickness of the ice. In Greenland and Antarctica presently the ice is about 4000 meters thick at most, usually quite a bit less. The rise of Greenland and Antarctica will displace quite a bit of water and lead to a secondary sea-level rise, so actually 80 meters is the lower limit of the submergence.

Let's assume therefore a worst case scenario of 90 meters or 300 feet rise of sea-level. A glance at the map will show you where the new coasts will be.
Almost very major city in the world will be flooded, and will have to be relocated further inland.

Further, you can imagine how the removal of such a vast weight of ice will affect the shifting of the crust. So people are going to be dealing with some pretty powerful earthquakes. Moreover, in Asia most of the major rivers have their headwaters in the Himalayas--if the Himalayan snowfields are removed by global warming, those great rivers will stop flowing, or their flow will be at least greatly reduced.

However, this is a problem for your grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I'd say we don't have too much to worry about for at least the next 50-100 years, apart from the weather getting a little more wild and unpredictable.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Here's what going to happen with global warming; in the event of the Greenland icecap collapsing, there will be a sea-level rise of about 6.5 to 7 meters--about 21-23 feet. If West Antarctica's ice-sheet collapses, there will be a sea-level rise of about 8 meters. If the East Antarctic ice-sheet goes as well, there will be a rise of about 65 meters. So in total we're looking at a rise of ca. 80 meters as the worst-case scenario. The duration of these projected changes is between 100 years to 200 years--depends who you talk to as to what time-limit they give.

The other problem with the loss of ice-caps is that when the ice is removed, the land beneath (which has been pressed down by the weight of the ice) rises back up--it's a geological process known as isostatic rebound. Normally the amount of land-depression under ice is 1/3 the thickness of the ice. In Greenland and Antarctica presently the ice is about 4000 meters thick at most, usually quite a bit less. The rise of Greenland and Antarctica will displace quite a bit of water and lead to a secondary sea-level rise, so actually 80 meters is the lower limit of the submergence.

Let's assume therefore a worst case scenario of 90 meters or 300 feet rise of sea-level. A glance at the map will show you where the new coasts will be.
Almost very major city in the world will be flooded, and will have to be relocated further inland.

Further, you can imagine how the removal of such a vast weight of ice will affect the shifting of the crust. So people are going to be dealing with some pretty powerful earthquakes. Moreover, in Asia most of the major rivers have their headwaters in the Himalayas--if the Himalayan snowfields are removed by global warming, those great rivers will stop flowing, or their flow will be at least greatly reduced.

However, this is a problem for your grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I'd say we don't have too much to worry about for at least the next 50-100 years, apart from the weather getting a little more wild and unpredictable.
Wow, thank you! That is very informative. So I figure, Las Vegas is approximately 2,000 feet or 600 meters above sea level. Nevada isn't likely to have tornadoes or hurricanes, it would be difficult to submerge because of its elevation, and I'm from California so I'm cool with earthquakes. The only drawback would be the heat but that's what fans are for.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
I think that's really true .

Just somewhere in the back of your mind, be willing to move on again if need be and don't live a life of debt where you're so strapped that you can't move if you chose to...keep your options open .

Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 21,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Wow, thank you! That is very informative. So I figure, Las Vegas is approximately 2,000 feet or 600 meters above sea level. Nevada isn't likely to have tornadoes or hurricanes, it would be difficult to submerge because of its elevation, and I'm from California so I'm cool with earthquakes. The only drawback would be the heat but that's what fans are for.
The main effect on California will be the flooding of the great inland valley, between the coastal ranges and Sierras. There are hundreds of communities that are scores of miles from the sea which will be submerged by the rise of the ocean. Even if the sea rises 'only' eighty meters, the least possible if all the ice-caps melt, you'll still be looking at some 80% of the population of the state being directly affected and having to shift to higher ground.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam98 View Post
Global Warming is not real. It's fake stuff that Al Gore made up so he could get an oscar. I bet it was a great fiction movie, though.
I doubt it. Even if human beings are not directly responsible for global warming, that doesn't mean the ice caps aren't melting. Haven't you read about all of the polar bears drowing because of the huge distances they now have to swim? I'm still not sure if global warming is caused by myself and other people and our actions but I'll try to lessen my impact, regardless. It's just good for the environment to drive less, waste less, and recycle even if you don't believe in global warming. If it turns out that the rise in sea level is really just a natural progression of the changes that have been occuring continuously throughout the history of the earth, then all I'll have done is pollute the air a little less and kept some trash out of landfills that will take a few hundred years to decompose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living