Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times

Advertisements

Too. Many. People.

Trying to, rightfully so, live the highest quality of life possible, which itself consumes a large number of resources and emits a lot of pollution.

Focus should be on decreasing the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Too. Many. People.

Trying to, rightfully so, live the highest quality of life possible, which itself consumes a large number of resources and emits a lot of pollution.

But if we do that, where will the next generation come from, to contribute to the Social Security fund? MORE people. We need MORE young people to support the retirees! Why do you think Germany, and the rest of Europe, let in all those Near-Eastern refugees? Advanced countries are scouring the world for more able-bodied adults to replace their own dwindling populations with, after generations of "family planning" has resulted in low population growth numbers.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
Quote:
Too. Many. People.

lead by example.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
lead by example.
I have. I've done my part. No children.

And it's carbon DIOXIDE. Not elemental carbon.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I have. I've done my part. No children.

And it's carbon DIOXIDE. Not elemental carbon.
There is more you can do. You have not decreased the population like you required.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
lead by example.
I do, I have no kids.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
There is more you can do. You have not decreased the population like you required.
I guess I expected a but more of a debate rather than such a simple minded statement?

Nothing implies people should go kill themselves. Reduce the population through not suicides and murders, but by reducing the number of people born. Eventually the population will stabilize, then start to decrease.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Too. Many. People.

????

Most experts say the carrying capacity of the planet is 12-14 Billion (and we can easily produce enough food for 20B) At 8B presently, we're only 2/3rds of the way to "just right." At the carrying capacity, things are stable-- birth rate equals death rate.

That's not "a crisis" but rather the way most populations exist in Nature--populations at the carrying capacity where there's maximum competition for and maximally efficient use of resources.

"Oh, why can't we ______(fill in the blank-- end war, get rid of guns, stop using oil, whatever)?--That's juvenile thought. We're supposed to stop using magical thinking around the age of six.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 05-27-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I guess I expected a but more of a debate rather than such a simple minded statement?

Nothing implies people should go kill themselves. Reduce the population through not suicides and murders, but by reducing the number of people born. Eventually the population will stabilize, then start to decrease.
Do some reading. Start with Malthus. We expected more of posters as well. So far we are disappointed.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
????

Most experts say the carrying capacity of the planet is 12-14 Billion (and we can easily produce enough food for 20B) At 8B presently, we're only 2/3rds of the way to "just right." At the carrying capacity, things are stable-- birth rate equals death rate.

That's not "a crisis" but rather the way most populations exist in Nature--populations at the carrying capacity where there's maximum competition for and maximally efficient use of resources.

"Oh, why can't we ______(fill in the blank-- end war, get rid of guns, stop using oil, whatever)?--That's juvenile thought. We're supposed to stop using magical thinking around the age of six.
Yea, "carrying capacity" in a utilitarian sense, providing the basics so a person does not die of starvation.

I am talking quality of life, specifically the "western standard" or "the US standard".

I do not believe the planet can support 12-14 billion people with such standards of living, it cannot even support 8 billion, not without devastating consequences to the planet, which us alive will not be impacted, but those down the road. The consequences to the planet have been not good so far, and a good portion of the world does not even live in the typical western standard society, but they are all striving to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living