Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 AM

1,646 posts, read 698,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Paper is 100% re-cyclable naturally, so no real need to "recycle" it.Polyurethanes are toxic when applied or burned and will eventually wind up in the landfill ...Not so sure we have an environmentally friendly process here.
I disagree, paper recycling is taking waste paper and turning it into new paper products, by definition. As if by tearing it into smaller pieces and glueing it to a floor. It has been altered and repurposed into something else, a paper composite type flooring. Hence, recycled. the phase 'recycling brown paper bags,' is American English vernacular speech, and implies repurposing traditionally, as well, as is stated in the title of my thread. This isn't even a case of semantics. If you care to elaborate on your point, I'd be open to hearing it, and also, others can feel free to chime in.

Agreed, the videos are not using all environmentally friendly materials. Since this is posted in Green Living, the point was to come up with alternate methods, improvements on the project toward green living. Alternatively, I may decide not to do it at all.

Polyurethane takes something like 200 years to decompose. Plastics are everywhere and in everything. Like processed sugar, it's getting to be impossible to avoid. Feel free to start a thread on environmentally friendly processes. Maybe we can figure out a way to avoid using environmentally detrimental materials. My main goal was to get ideas on repurposing paper bags and cost efficiency. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The 'penny coin' flooring.(how tedious that must of been)

A man used his beer cans to make a hunting cabin.

The 'wine cork' wall.

A neighbor used a rusted iron fence as a divider for their game room. Actually turned out nice. Hung his billard items on it. Rather clever.
Cool ideas, I saw the penny coin floor. I don't think I'd have the patience. Or it would take a very long time.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If I had a concrete floor, I would paint or stain it. I’d do that before I’d put paper bags over it and poly it down. What a mess removing it at a later date! But probably, I’d prefer to cover it with some sort of carpet, because standing on concrete is miserable.

But there is a paint or stain for practically everything.
Right, and lay wax over the top of the paint or stain. That would be better than
using polyurethane. Cool.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Google 'bottle house'. There are some cool stained glass structures made with glass bottles. I wouldn't want that for a house, but it would make a really fun she-shed.
I'll check that out, just to see what it looks like. I wonder what a busted up glass mosaic tile floor, grouted, would be like?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter 10/6 View Post
I'll check that out, just to see what it looks like. I wonder what a busted up glass mosaic tile floor, grouted, would be like?
I would definitely smooth the edges of the glass pieces before adhering them to the substrate, just in case.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:23 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If I had a concrete floor, I would paint or stain it. I’d do that before I’d put paper bags over it and poly it down. What a mess removing it at a later date! But probably, I’d prefer to cover it with some sort of carpet, because standing on concrete is miserable.

But there is a paint or stain for practically everything.
So true. My neighbors in Oklahoma had stained concrete floors. They told me those were really cold in winter.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:15 AM

257 posts, read 133,425 times
I spent a few days working on an artsy table for a friend's business like that with paper bags, pages from raggedy old books, and a few sepia-toned printouts with custom images to make a really cool looking design. I agree that the polyurethane was the real trick. The whole thing took weeks and about a dozen separate layers of poly, but it was a big, solidly-built table.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:51 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I rented a house that was shingled in old style metal oil cans, opened flat. The front of the house was painted, but the back showed the labels.

I wanted to try the brown paper flooring in my last house, but never got around to it. We did glue down a map of the area topped with polyurethane floor finish. Looked good, held up well.

Nice thing about painted or decopauged floors; you can lay carpet/tile/vinyl right over them. Walls would be a real pain.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I would definitely smooth the edges of the glass pieces before adhering them to the substrate, just in case.
I think I like you. Always a good idea, safety first. Hopefully for most, that goes without saying! Unfortunately, I've already ran out of bandaids...

Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
I spent a few days working on an artsy table for a friend's business like that with paper bags, pages from raggedy old books, and a few sepia-toned printouts with custom images to make a really cool looking design. I agree that the polyurethane was the real trick. The whole thing took weeks and about a dozen separate layers of poly, but it was a big, solidly-built table.
I'd definitely agree with layering being the key, like waxing and painting, the more layers, the better it looks. Well, layering in moderation! Twenty layers would probably make anything look like $h!t! That's a really cool idea for tables. A lot invested in drying time between layers, sounds like? Cheers, RayHammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living