Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 07:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 697,589 times

Advertisements

I saw this video about a lady recycling brown paper bags to replace the covering of her floor by tearing and crumpling grocery bags and glueing them down. So I was intrigued about the idea. Doing a search on YouTube I found a couple using brown paper rolls to create a similar effect. Has anyone had experience with this repurposing of paper bags? Any other creative ideas about remodeling or DIY projects with paper bags? I really thought this would make for interesting conversation. Any suggestions are welcome, no matter how bizarre. I never realized that you could do such posh home improvements with shopping bags. It gives an all new meaning to brown bagging it!

Paper Bag Flooring Tips, Tools and Supplies For Concrete Subfloors

DIY Paper Bag Floor Installation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 09:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
NOPE!

The paper bag/tissue paper wallpaper treatment was a thing about 20 years ago. Trading Spaces did it and everyone copied. We bought a house where someone had done it and I hated it. I ended up having to strip that off of the walls to repaint. I wasn't a fan and I think it would be a horrible mess to clean on the floors. I'm not sure if you could seal it well enough to keep water out when you mopped.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I can't think of any place that gives out brown paper bags anymore.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:11 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
The paper bags are just the under-layment, providing a texture/design. The polyurethane is the real floor covering that you walk on. Why not use old jeans, T-shirts or candy wrappers?

Paper is 100% re-cyclable naturally, so no real need to "recycle" it. Polyurethanes are toxic when applied or burned and will eventually wind up in the landfill ...Not so sure we have an environmentally friendly process here.

In Chicagoland where I came from and now here in WI, grocery stores always give the choice "Paper or plastic?" at the check out line....Walmart only offers plastic-- they're such a PITA when unloading the car, spilling cans cuz they don't stand up and searching for the tangled handles.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
The 'penny coin' flooring.(how tedious that must of been)

A man used his beer cans to make a hunting cabin.

The 'wine cork' wall.

A neighbor used a rusted iron fence as a divider for their game room. Actually turned out nice. Hung his billard items on it. Rather clever.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:46 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If I had a concrete floor, I would paint or stain it. I’d do that before I’d put paper bags over it and poly it down. What a mess removing it at a later date! But probably, I’d prefer to cover it with some sort of carpet, because standing on concrete is miserable.

But there is a paint or stain for practically everything.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Google 'bottle house'. There are some cool stained glass structures made with glass bottles. I wouldn't want that for a house, but it would make a really fun she-shed.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I can't think of any place that gives out brown paper bags anymore.
Ours cost 5¢ in our county, the 2 adjacent counties, no charge. If we take them back to the store and reuse them we get a 6¢ credit. I've still managed to save a bunch of them though.

I forgot to mention that we can't reuse our bags during the pandemic.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
choice "Paper or plastic?" at the check out line....Walmart only offers plastic-- they're such a PITA when unloading the car, spilling cans cuz they don't stand up and searching for the tangled handles.
The bags, which ever, paper or plastic, the materials have been getting thinner and the paper has been reprocessing to the point the fibers are broken down, and the bags rip easily.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:04 AM

[quote=guidoLaMoto;58751294]Polyurethanes are toxic when applied or burned and will eventually wind up in the landfill ...Not so sure we have an environmentally friendly process here.
/QUOTE]

Polyurethane takes something like 200 years to decompose. Plastics are everywhere and in everything. Like processed sugar, hard to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living