Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,666,358 times

Advertisements

Earth Day is bringing brighter prospects for perhaps the most pervasive symbol of the environmental movement: the compact fluorescent bulb.

ABC News: Eco-Friendlier Light Bulbs Announced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,367,561 times
Until they make 3 ways I am not buying!!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,190 times
They need to stop trying to update CFL's and start working on LED's that are affordable. CFL's are a temporary fad, and quiet honestly, after we put a house full of them in, I noticed only a dollar or so savings. The fact is they aren't some super energy efficient green thing. Light bulbs account for only a small fraction of the energy used in the average home. So to take away a fraction of a small fraction leaves you with a tiny fraction of your bill that you are saving.

The real savings in lighting comes from only having lights on when they are necessary. Me and the wife are phasing incandescents back in to several areas of the house because of the low quality light from CFL's. Keep the incandescent use to a minimum and I see no reason to have CFL's. Its just a big part of the hippy fad "I'm green! Look I even have the cute CFL's Priest Gore told me to buy!!!"

Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,967,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Earth Day is bringing brighter prospects for perhaps the most pervasive symbol of the environmental movement: the compact fluorescent bulb.

Well although these bulbs do contain about 1/2 the amount of Mercury, it still does pose a serious environmental hazard! About 90% of all these bulbs will wind up in land fills. So if you multiply 20 million per month X 1.5 milligrams you get a significant amount of Mercury dumped in landfills that will most definitely eventually find its way into our ground water.

Sad to say but every landfill will leak its nasty stuff into our ground water. All landfills should be closed and made illegal. If you really want to do some serious environmental activism I would suggest you pay more attention to ground water contamination than to this Pop Culture Media Frenzy of your Carbon Foot Print. It is entirely so insignificant compared to real environmental concerns.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,370,680 times
We replaced every bulb in the house with the energy savers ... but ... unless I need a light to see my way, read or work then you won't see them turned on. That IMO is how you save energy and a few bucks.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM

15,880 posts, read 21,488,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Well although these bulbs do contain about 1/2 the amount of Mercury, it still does pose a serious environmental hazard! About 90% of all these bulbs will wind up in land fills. So if you multiply 20 million per month X 1.5 milligrams you get a significant amount of Mercury dumped in landfills that will most definitely eventually find its way into our ground water.

Sad to say but every landfill will leak its nasty stuff into our ground water. All landfills should be closed and made illegal. If you really want to do some serious environmental activism I would suggest you pay more attention to ground water contamination than to this Pop Culture Media Frenzy of your Carbon Foot Print. It is entirely so insignificant compared to real environmental concerns.
Many things that include mercury hit the landfills. In my state, it's illegal to throw out ANYTHING with mercury in it, but companies make it as hard as possible to find out what materials are in components (though mercury *should* be marked) and few people take the initiative to take their products to the hazardous waste facilities. GPS systems, most laptops, most cell phones, handheld game systems, and more all contain mercury and are going into the landfills or, even worse, being incinerated every day.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM

14 posts, read 44,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks for sharing, very interesting!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,785,649 times
I switched to cfl's for outdoor, hallway and living room fixtures. Home office and library have 50's style straight flourescents. In the bathrooms I have 60W incandescents. LED's should be the next thing but the rest of my lights are cold cathode (neon/argon) lights which use very little energy and give good light. Along with the traffic signal bulbs in the bathrooms they have worked flawlessly since 1990.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

249 posts, read 610,404 times
LEDs are it. There are more and more manufacturers and prices are coming down.

Combine LEDs with solartubes for natural lighting and you have a winner.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,274,138 times
LEDs need to be significantly less expensive and produce a lot more lumens to become practical alternatives. Solar tubes don't help on the first floor or basement of 2+ story houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living