Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 08:52 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's hard to believe that people have just one piece of anything. One towel, one set of sheets, one underwear, one pair of pants or socks...
I don't think there is a real need to have something washed and dried because it's needed, right now.
I don't care how long my laundry is air-drying on a rack - I have plenty of things to rotate even when I travel.

yes, I agree with this post 100 %.

I have an outside clothesline, and the rack for inside, (like for today since it was really raw out).

I don't think in all my years of living there was ever something that had to be washed and dried for that same day, or hours, or whatever.

I have enough of everything to last.
I washed work T shirts today, they are on the rack, and tomorrow I will fold them. No big deal...
Tomorrow is supposed to be nice out, so I can hang the next wash outside, leave it to the next day, or later that day, and fold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 10:22 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thanks. Good ideas, and that's what normal people do I guess. I'm not normal though, at least not when it comes to stuff like advertising to get rid of something. I don't want strangers calling me, so no I can't do that. Yes the dryer comes with it's original manual even. It's old, but does work. It will just have to wait until I am ready to call the salvage guy or I find someone, in passing, who wants it and is willing to come and get it. That's how I got rid of the gas stove/oven range. A co worker's ex husband wanted it and came and took it out, and even brought my old electric stove in from the shed for me.

He didn't want the dryer though, nor did the furnace technician who came to service my furnace. Nor did a local animal rescue I called, and the local resale charity shop would take it, but won't come and get it. So there it sits. I'm not ready to utilize that space yet anyway, so it can wait. You never know someone may cross my path yet who wants it and will come and get it.

I don't want money for it, I just want someone to take it. But not at the expense of exposing myself to random phone calls from strangers lol.
My house came with a working gas dryer that I didn't need, so I gave it away on Freecycle, which is a closed online group, so no there are no random people calling you or coming to your home. Communication between givers and receiver is via either email or through their very simple platform. I posted that dryer and few days later it was gone.

It's likely that there's a local Freecycle group in your area, so that might be a great place to unload that dryer even if someone simply takes it away to sell it for scrap.

While I do have a dryer and use it in the wintertime for drying sheets, rags, and towels, everything else is either hung outside on an umbrella clothesline when the weather permits or indoors on lines strung between the beams in the basement. Most clothes dried inside are dry by morning as mine is a heated basement; clothes, sheets, and towels dried outside are ready to folded in hours, depending upon humidity and the wind. The drying rack is used for things that need to hold their shape like some of my nicer sweaters.

The hooks for the basement lines were already in place when I moved in (likely installed by the original owners back in the '50s), so all that I had to do was string up the clothesline between them. A friend of mine dug the hole for my outdoor line (I'd moved it from my last house). In the wintertime, I simply pop it out of its ground socket, plug the hole with the provided plug, and store it in the basement until spring. I have the smaller of the two umbrella options offered by the Sunshine Dryer Company; it holds far more laundry than one would think possible. In the ten years that I've owned mine, it's more than paid for itself in terms of electricity savings.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-16-2021 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

I don't want money for it, I just want someone to take it. But not at the expense of exposing myself to random phone calls from strangers lol.
Call a used appliance store? A thrift store? Habitat for Humanity?

Old 01-17-2021, 02:52 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Gas dryer okay.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:21 AM

226 posts, read 158,046 times
Those folks should have taken your dryer.

Those older dryers are more dependable and long-lasting then the modern junk they make.

But the peeps today need touch screens and email reminders that their clothes are dry.

I prefer old school - KISS - less things to break.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:56 AM

762 posts, read 451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I hate stiff line dried laundry that's covered in lint.
As do I along with having to iron, so you can air dry clothes fully and then toss them into the dryer for 15 minutes with a wash cloth that has been soaked in fabric softener and white vinegar. They will come out fluffy and smelling fresh. Better for the environment and your wallet.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:55 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I air-dry everything. Don't mean towels being a little harder. Great body massage
You want hard? When I lived in Bonn, I discovered there was a basement coin-operated washing machine, so I started using it. Sometimes, like when it rained and was extremely cold outside, I would line dry in that cold basement.

Rigor mortis. The towels could have walked out of the room on their own.

If they had stayed that hard, it would have been miserable, but after one hot shower's use, they softened up nicely.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:35 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
No backyard, no clothes lines. I hate wearing soggy clothes. The only gas is when I eat beans.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:42 PM

500 posts, read 571,364 times
What I think would help is if there were a way to switch the exhaust from going outside to inside in winter. That way you conserve the heat and it helps warm your home. In summer I would be willing to line dry but in winter that's not an option.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
What I think would help is if there were a way to switch the exhaust from going outside to inside in winter. That way you conserve the heat and it helps warm your home. In summer I would be willing to line dry but in winter that's not an option.

Dryer exhaust is vented outside for a reason. It's bad for you and your home. Very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living