Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
My 0.75 acre lot is about 80% woods, mature landscaping, plantings, and some lawn. The ongoing major issue is one of the former owners planted awful English ivy that is nearly impossible to permanently get rid of. The low area near the edge of the lot is a brook that has water most of the time, and is a torrent during heavy rains. The extremely sloped nature means I have to watch for erosion as elevation changes nearly 40-50 ft across the property from the highest to lowest point.
I've got 4 acres and about 70% of it is woods. I have gotten rid of more grass in recent years and replaced with more trees, however there are some areas I just can't, like where my utilities come in from the road, and the area near my septic and leach field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 09:24 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
I have. a little over 2 1/2 sections of land and dont own a mower but do have 2600 feet of gravel runway .

Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
it's interesting how most people do the exact wrong thing if they want grass. Never use sprinklers. really. At least if you are in the east. I wish I hadn't paid for them, I use them once or twice a year. Fertilize once a year, (and mulch clippings) and don't waste money on insecticide or herbicide. You'll save a mountain of money and have to mow once or twice a month. All that stuff actually harms grass, including centipede grass. (source: research and experience)
LOL. My grass would be dead if I did not have sprinklers. I have a well so there is no cost for the water. The last couple of months was very very wet - unusually so - so I did not run them. But now we are in a dry spell, and I am running them. Summers here are very hot and often we have long dry spells so sprinklers are needed if you want a nice lawn.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:30 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Whatever grows in my yard without water is welcome. It's a mix of grass, crabgrass, dandelions, weeds, and clover. It's all kept mowed and looks green and works as a lawn. No fertilizer or weed killer or water needed.
I don't like plantain. It's edging out my clover and violets. Some of the dandelions can stay. I just don't want a yard full of weed leaves.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:50 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't like plantain. It's edging out my clover and violets. Some of the dandelions can stay. I just don't want a yard full of weed leaves.
Plantain and other broadleaved invasions means that you have a thin lawn

Your safe and practical solution is to add grass seeds every fall- at the end of September or beginning of October- if you are North of Mason Dixon line.

Grass seeds are not that unaffordable: buy Premium brand name from Scott’s, Pennington and such.

In fall soil cools off, rains come- makes it easier to grow cool season grasses and to germinate new grass seeds.

Maybe adding lime is in order- grass does not like soils that are too acidic.

When you thicken your lawn with the grass seeds- it should look so dense that you can not see the soil when you part grass blades.

Think: thin lawn-like cheap carpeting, dense thick lawn- high grade carpeting.
Strive for a better carpet!

The broadleaf plants like plantains, etc - will be crowded out and gone.

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-26-2021 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 08:46 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I have an on going battle with ground squirrels. They ruin everything. Sometimes I feel like cementing everything. I have acreage so not practical. :-)

Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. My grass would be dead if I did not have sprinklers. I have a well so there is no cost for the water. The last couple of months was very very wet - unusually so - so I did not run them. But now we are in a dry spell, and I am running them. Summers here are very hot and often we have long dry spells so sprinklers are needed if you want a nice lawn.
Would you have wildflowers? Even in a dry climate you can have wildflowers:

Succulents and Wildflowers Leave Water-Wasting Lawns in the Dust

Houses in the California Bay Area are sporting dramatic displays of low-water plants that entice native bees and keep homeowners from pouring money down the drain.
https://earthjustice.org/blog/2015-j...ns-in-the-dust

Looks good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living