Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times

Advertisements

I’ve been recycling #5 plastic (K-cups) for a long time. Remove the lid, empty the coffee and throw it into the recycling pin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
"To recycle, once the K-Cup® pod is cool, peel the lid from the puncture hole in the center, empty the grounds and recycle. Click here for more information on recycling steps. Please check locally, #5 plastic is not yet recycled in all communities."

Again no offense, but in an office environment that means "throw it in the garbage". I've tried peeling the lid off a K-up, and I threw it in the garbage then went out & bought a reusable one of my own. Only 3 people in my office do that and the rest throw their used K-cups in the garbage.

I dug deeper on TerraCycle's website and for $214 you can get a postage-paid box that holds 2,000 used K-cups that they will recycle after you send it back. Not sure if management would embrace financing that.
You do it your way, I put mine in my recycle container and take it in to town. You might try to educate your co-workers.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:52 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
No offense but that sounds like a rumor. I'd love to just toss plastic in a bin and make a wish.

Chinese processing facilities stopped accepting recycled plastic from America a few years ago because it was too contaminated. If I toss a K-cup into the recycling bin I'm throwing way more than just #5 plastic in there.
Well, yes, that's the problem... most people would love to just toss plastic in a bin and make a wish. They don't want to wash (or even rinse) it out first, or take their leftover food out of it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
You do it your way, I put mine in my recycle container and take it in to town. You might try to educate your co-workers.
Educate how? Everybody knows recycling exists. If they don't want to bother, they don't want to bother. Nagging them until they hate you isn't going to accomplish anything.

Not every office even has recycling. Mine doesn't. I tried taking our recycling home a couple times for my curbside pickup, but that's not really fair to drag stuff from the office to a different city that has to foot the bill to recycle it, and it didn't seem very socially-acceptable to be essentially hauling bags of trash home from the office...

Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM

12,408 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
"To recycle, once the K-Cup® pod is cool, peel the lid from the puncture hole in the center, empty the grounds and recycle. Click here for more information on recycling steps. Please check locally, #5 plastic is not yet recycled in all communities."

Again no offense, but in an office environment that means "throw it in the garbage". I've tried peeling the lid off a K-up, and I threw it in the garbage then went out & bought a reusable one of my own. Only 3 people in my office do that and the rest throw their used K-cups in the garbage.

I dug deeper on TerraCycle's website and for $214 you can get a postage-paid box that holds 2,000 used K-cups that they will recycle after you send it back. Not sure if management would embrace financing that.
Any recycling containers should be pretty clean for sure. If there's some kind of dedicated K-cup recyling facility they'd probably have automated facilities for treating those specific things, but in a general recycling stream, I think it'd me much more of a problem than a benefit. If someone is trying to melt containers down and get high quality plastic, aluminum, or steel, it can't have some other material still attached, and it can't have a significant amount of food waste on it - all of that will be contaminants that will degrade the quality of the recycled material, lowering its utility and value. I've read that many Americans are "lazy recyclers" and don't worry about properly separating materials and cleaning them as needed prior to tossing them in the recycling bin, and a lot of it is simply sent to the landfill en mass anyway for this reason.

I think the most eco-friendly option would be to compost coffee grounds and unbleached brown coffee filters, or you can use a stainless or gold reusable filter and just trash the grounds. K-cups are super convenient but unless they get special treatment, they seem to maximize non-degradable waste.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I recycle all I can, but it costs so much to transport and recycle materials that it's not really much of an environmental savings.

Coffee makers are a good opportunity to Reduce or Reuse instead of Recycle; reusable kpods, paper filter machines, or even old fashioned percolators (where everything but the grounds are reusable) are all better choices than trying to get people to recycle the pods.

Those things are like using hotel-size shampoo bottles at home.
Bingo. Nothing is green about a keurig. If you want single serving coffee buy a small coffee maker. They do make them.
Quote:
I was at somebody's house today, and they had cut all their paper napkins in half "to reduce waste." I mentioned that we use cloth napkins for that reason, and they got all vague. Sometimes it seems like people have no ability to reason things out.
I think they were being cheap as opposed to green. Lots of folks don't like cloth napkins because they're work. But cutting paper napkins, which are biodegradable anyway, seems just cheap. Especially since I can't think of a time where I didn't use most of the napkin made available to me.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I recycle all I can, but it costs so much to transport and recycle materials that it's not really much of an environmental savings.

Coffee makers are a good opportunity to Reduce or Reuse instead of Recycle; reusable kpods, paper filter machines, or even old fashioned percolators (where everything but the grounds are reusable) are all better choices than trying to get people to recycle the pods.

Those things are like using hotel-size shampoo bottles at home.
Totally agree. Make a nice strong pot of coffee. Simple is better, cheaper, greener.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:44 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Totally agree. Make a nice strong pot of coffee. Simple is better, cheaper, greener.
Another thing I don't like about he Keurig machine at work: The arrival of that machine negated the existence of our informal "Afternoon Coffee Club". Several pots of coffee would be brewed in the morning. But by 2-3 in the afternoon not many would partake and the potential existed for wasting almost an entire pot. So we afternoon caffeine fiends took to polling/announcing to others like us, when we were about to make an afternoon pot. That added to the camaraderie in the office, and we lost that.

Recycling update: The president of my company authorized us getting the K-cup recycling box. I will report back here after it arrives and we've used it for a while. Hopefully everyone will be on board!

Old 05-12-2021, 10:23 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
I prefer the reusable pods because I prefer freshly ground coffee.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Recycling update: The president of my company authorized us getting the K-cup recycling box. I will report back here after it arrives and we've used it for a while. Hopefully everyone will be on board!
Update update: The K-cup recycling box arrived today and has been set up in the lunch room. It doesn't have the fancy graphics the box at the Subaru has, but then this isn't a high traffic retail area. Anyway the functionality is the same!

I will report back once we hit the approximate 2,000 unit mark and ship the thing out.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Chinese processing facilities stopped accepting recycled plastic from America a few years ago because it was too contaminated.
and before that they dumped all of our recycling into the ocean.

your k cups arent getting recycled. they are all contaminated. if you care, then brew pitchers of coffee the old fashioned way. coffee is better that way anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living