Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
wow. This guy is pretty much clueless.

About almost every portion of his attempted topic is wrong. Some just completely made-up and totally false.

I suppose to try to be fair, he probably has no background nor understanding, but some of this is just FUD -- actual intentional dis-information FUD -- that is so off-base, I can even track where he got the nonsense from, as it is some paid dis-information from the New Nuke Industry.

It is a little bit embarrassing that this is from a former US Army General, as I was a prior Corps of Engineers officer, but we came to accept long ago that the Air Force got the smart Generals, and we (the Army) had what was left.

Would you like to go down this and see how much is not correct?

The real numbers wind up very favorable -- but so much so that the Oil, Gas, Nuke and related Industries will be largely wiped out.
how? How can renewables replace non renewables?

Look at the numbers and give us the answer.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Currently NON HYDRO renewables account for about 13% of generation in the US or about 500 billion Kwh out of 4009 billion installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
They'll replace much of the fossil fuel use, but it won't be near 100 percent. It'll take a long time. It takes about 30 years to replace the vehicle fleet. The useful life for power plants, solar farms, and wind farms run from 20 to 40 years. The efficiencies will take time to materialize because of the existing infrastructure. Rare earth minerals will be substituted by other rare earth minerals or other minerals or alloys.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:58 AM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Do you think we will ever get recharge time below 15 minutes? As EV's are right now I could function just fine driving around town but I would never take one cross country and I drive cross country fairly frequently.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Do you think we will ever get recharge time below 15 minutes? As EV's are right now I could function just fine driving around town but I would never take one cross country and I drive cross country fairly frequently.
I think electric cars and batteries will be mostly subscription service and people will just swap out batteries. The long-haul trucks are probably going fuel cell and biofuel in the long run.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:46 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
how? How can renewables replace non renewables?

Look at the numbers and give us the answer.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Currently NON HYDRO renewables account for about 13% of generation in the US or about 500 billion Kwh out of 4009 billion installed.

Have we not done this 100 times?

THAT was 2020. We agree that you are expert of what Once Was. You can correctly tell US all about looking in the Rear View Mirror.

Driving FORWARD is rather different than looking in the Rear View Mirror. The Generation Mix of 2020 you are looking back at goes back to sources now 50 years PAST included, but still existing at near end of Service Life.

It is NOW 2021.

What is being built ahead? ZERO Coal, (near) ZERO Nukes, Gas Under 20%, and near 80% renewable?

This is your same site source (EIA) showing what is Being Built NOW -- so this points to what we will have 10, 20, 30 years or more into the Future.

Turn around a take a look out the Windshield ahead?

What you are asking about is already happening.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46416

Old 08-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They'll replace much of the fossil fuel use, but it won't be near 100 percent. It'll take a long time. It takes about 30 years to replace the vehicle fleet. The useful life for power plants, solar farms, and wind farms run from 20 to 40 years. The efficiencies will take time to materialize because of the existing infrastructure. Rare earth minerals will be substituted by other rare earth minerals or other minerals or alloys.
There is no need for Perfection.

As we saw in Spring of 2020, just a 10 to 20% drop in demand can wipe out the Oil Industry.

Recall Texas Oil at Negative Numbers?

(and for about the 1000th Time.) ZERO Rare Earth Elements or Materials are required for Silicon Solar PV (the dominate New Generation Source).

Old 08-03-2021, 07:33 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Have we not done this 100 times?

THAT was 2020. We agree that you are expert of what Once Was. You can correctly tell US all about looking in the Rear View Mirror.

Driving FORWARD is rather different than looking in the Rear View Mirror. The Generation Mix of 2020 you are looking back at goes back to sources now 50 years PAST included, but still existing at near end of Service Life.

It is NOW 2021.

What is being built ahead? ZERO Coal, (near) ZERO Nukes, Gas Under 20%, and near 80% renewable?

This is your same site source (EIA) showing what is Being Built NOW -- so this points to what we will have 10, 20, 30 years or more into the Future.

Turn around a take a look out the Windshield ahead?

What you are asking about is already happening.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46416
what are you babbling about? You don't have the answer so you dribble hyperbole down your chin like a geriatric in the nursing home...
You don't have a clue how to replace 3000 billion plus Kwh of generation do you? do you even have a clue as to the scale of construction required?

the eia data link I provided pretty clearly stated:
Preliminary data as of February 2021

Old 08-03-2021, 08:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
Green energy will fail to meet current energy demand, but it will eventually be all we have left. Using less energy is the simple answer that fake greens don't want to hear.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
what are you babbling about? You don't have the answer so you dribble hyperbole down your chin like a geriatric in the nursing home...
um huh.

Quote:
You don't have a clue how to replace 3000 billion plus Kwh of generation do you? do you even have a clue as to the scale of construction required?
We have already known for the past 10 years.

4E15 kWh per year / 2000 Hours Run Time per year = 2E12 Watts (or about) of Silicon Solar PV.

2E12 Watts spread out across 40 Years (Service Life) means about 5E10 Watts per year.

Costs about $50E9 (US $50 Billion per year).

Let Existing Coal, Nukes, and Gas fall off along the way.

It is ALREADY happening.

Quote:
the eia data link I provided pretty clearly stated:
Preliminary data as of February 2021
[/quote]

Yes. A+ That was a REVIEW of the Calendar Year 2020.

A look in the REARVIEW Mirror.

Did you hit the other link? That will tell you the NEW Plants we are building 2021 and beyond.

The FUTURE as it is.

It is mostly Renewable and more so all the way AHEAD.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Green energy will fail to meet current energy demand, but it will eventually be all we have left. Using less energy is the simple answer that fake greens don't want to hear.
It does not have to hit current demand. Just about 1/3

Existing Fossil is SO LOSSY that it only takes about 1/3 of the present energy inputs to totally replace it.

Have you ever looked at the Lawrence Livermore National Labs Sankey Energy Flow Diagram?

You can see all the present Energy Inputs on the Left Side. And the resulting Work Output on the Right Side.

See where it says "Rejected Energy" on the Right Side?

That is mostly Heat Loss due to burning Fossil Fuels. That Heat Loss all goes away with Full Renewables.

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/...gy_US_2020.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living