Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,858 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had this problem? I eat primarily an organic diet and I feel like I'm gaining, not losing weight. I think when I bought more processed foods, I used to go for the diet, unnatural stuff a lot (i.e., fat free yogurt, fat free mayo, low calorie bread, etc). I've never been a soda drinker so it's not like I filled up on diet soda all day. I only drink milk, water, coffee, or tea. What am I doing wrong? By the way, I switched to a primarily organic diet about 2 years ago. When I look at the packages, a lot of the stuff seems high fat, high calorie. I know if I just ate salads and fish all day I wouldn't have a problem but I also like grains, dairy, lean meat, fruit. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 AM

895 posts, read 4,250,337 times
I feel your pain. I don't even pretend to know what I'm doing. We've been doing an all organic diet at our house with no meat since January. I've gained 14 pounds. My husband thinks it's because all I eat now are carbs. I am so bummed and am thinking about calling a nutritionist. And I'm starting to hate salad!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
You probably let down your guard and assumed that organic means low-fat.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,434,041 times
You can still do organic and lose weight. But you still have to watch the things that make you can gain weight even in organic food, such as fat from calories. I suggest replacing a lot of the grains with fresh fruit and veggies (or even frozen). My fiance lost a weight when I was working at a natural/organic groery store and bought most of our groceries from there because we didnt eat or drink anything with high fructose corn syrup.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Organic is healthier but too many calories in means you will gain weight. Out of balance carb loading means you will be hungry and eat too much. The same diet rules still apply. Eating organic means there are more micronutrients in the food, not that the carb, protein, fat calories are different.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,901 times
Organic is only how the food is grown or raised. If you eat too much, you eat too much. Organic or not organic doesn't alter that.

If you're eating more whole-milk, whole-fat foods (which are good for you!) just eat less.

(a recent study is linking skim milk to prostate cancer, but not whole milk....hmm....you fool around with the food to make it healthier and it doesn't. When will we learn?! It's about portion control not about messing with the food!! OK, had my little vent there. I hate that we keep getting told foods which are tampered with are "better" for us. They're not!!!!)

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I feel your pain. I don't even pretend to know what I'm doing. We've been doing an all organic diet at our house with no meat since January. I've gained 14 pounds. My husband thinks it's because all I eat now are carbs. I am so bummed and am thinking about calling a nutritionist. And I'm starting to hate salad!!!

Thank you for understanding!!! I think I had been eating nasty food for so long that now I'm finally ENJOYING food-organic tastes SO much better than the processed foods!! So I'm sure I eat way too much. I'm starting to exercise more so hopefully that will help. Also, do you find yourself hungrier because the food is so much more easily digested? With the processed foods, I always felt bloated and gassy and uncomfortable, I think I just ate less. Now with the organic diet, I never have problems with digestion.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Organic is only how the food is grown or raised. If you eat too much, you eat too much. Organic or not organic doesn't alter that.

If you're eating more whole-milk, whole-fat foods (which are good for you!) just eat less.

(a recent study is linking skim milk to prostate cancer, but not whole milk....hmm....you fool around with the food to make it healthier and it doesn't. When will we learn?! It's about portion control not about messing with the food!! OK, had my little vent there. I hate that we keep getting told foods which are tampered with are "better" for us. They're not!!!!)
I completely agree with you! Even though my husband gripes about our food bill, the extra cost of organic will save you money on doctor's bills in the long run! Our children are 5 and 3 years and they have never had any major illnesses, never needed antibiotics, no ear infections, nothing. Just the occasional cold or flu which their body fights off rather easily. It's amazing! Our pediatrician isn't convinced that it's our diet, but I swear it's true! My son started school last year, my husband is a teacher, and I work in a hospital so we're exposed to all sorts of illnesses. Our bodies just fight it off! Ok, I know I'm getting a little over-zealous but I love everything about the organic movement, not just for our health but also for the environment. Now if I could just stop those second and third helpings

Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
I completely agree with you! Even though my husband gripes about our food bill, the extra cost of organic will save you money on doctor's bills in the long run! Our children are 5 and 3 years and they have never had any major illnesses, never needed antibiotics, no ear infections, nothing. Just the occasional cold or flu which their body fights off rather easily. It's amazing! Our pediatrician isn't convinced that it's our diet, but I swear it's true! My son started school last year, my husband is a teacher, and I work in a hospital so we're exposed to all sorts of illnesses. Our bodies just fight it off! Ok, I know I'm getting a little over-zealous but I love everything about the organic movement, not just for our health but also for the environment. Now if I could just stop those second and third helpings
I was raised on an organic diet in the 60's and I and my brothers were never sick except for the major childhood illnesses (german measles, mumps, and the like). We never had cavities either. We used to feel put upon because we never got to stay home sick and any attempts at gold bricking were met with drinking an 8oz glass of water every half hour. Mother figured if we really were sick, we needed it, and if we weren't, we deserved it

Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 23,809 times
Nutrition is not all that complicated of a subject. If you eat more calories than you use, you gain weight. keep track of how many calories you consume and how much exercise you get. To lose weight, eat less calries and exercise more. You will be so happy you did this for your health.

Someone stated that organic food is healthier for you. This is not true. Organic just means raised without some herbicides and pesticides. There are actually approved 'natural' herbicides and pesticides that may actually be worse for you than those used in conventional agriculture.

I eat very healthy food and weigh the same as I did 25 years ago, but I don't eat organic food. If you think about the reduced yields of the organic produce, it would take millions more acres to produce our food. I consider myself an environmentalist and don't want froests torn out and wetlands drained so we can grow more organic food. The chemicals that are used in agriculture are well researched and the amount used is miniscule in comparison on what we as homeowners use on our lawns on a percentage basis.

By the way, I have a friend that sells organic/free range chickens. All they eat is grass, bugs and cow manure (they pick through it to get the corn that passes through the cow's system) - YUMMY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living