Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 08:43 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
Similar for people who don't believe in CC.
I didn't see much "industrial revolution" in the video, unless it was all buried by the water. As a lawyer, I assume you've heard of the concept of "preponderance of evidence"?
Don't confuse the legal system with science...As Einstein once said about his theory of relativity--No prepondrance of evidence can prove me right, but just one study can prove me wrong.

In regards co2, Gw and paeticularly AGW, there's more evidence it's wrong than right...not to mention, theories aren't realy right or wrong, but useful vs non-useful. Eg- Newton's theory of gravity doesnt take into account all pertinent considerations, but is extremely useful, while Einstein's theory of gravity does account even for all the rare instances where Newton's doesn't hold, yet it isn't all that useful for the vast majority of applications where Newton's is good enough....

BTW-- Since this thrad was started, the average global temp has remained unchanged for the last 7 y rs, 11 months. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/...ars-11-months/ ...Yet co2 levles have increased by 6% during that time.

GW/AGW/GHG Theory is certainly useless-- virtually every one of the predictions made over the last 40 yrs have proven to be wrong or at least grossly inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 08:49 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Remember there is a massive popular demographic that is around staying loyal on Eco Green friendly sustainability while actually skeptical of the title principle theory on "climate change". Isn't just the ignorant that don't care about saving our Planet.
There are many good reasons to be environmentally conscious. Dumping poisons into the atmosphere is not a good idea. It just happens that AGW isn’t one of the Reasons to be environmentally conscious. It is a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

GW/AGW/GHG Theory is certainly useless-- virtually every one of the predictions made over the last 40 yrs have proven to be wrong or at least grossly inaccurate.
yYu did not hear on the news that New York City was under water?

Old 08-06-2022, 01:46 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Look around outside. Grass is still green. Trees are still looking just the same as they always have. Flowers/plants are looking just fine. Weather has not been much different at all from what it was 10-20 years ago.

CC has happened ever since the earth began. I do not believe humans are a significant factor in the climate changing. It will inevitably change whether there are humans or not.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Look around outside. Grass is still green. Trees are still looking just the same as they always have. Flowers/plants are looking just fine. Weather has not been much different at all from what it was 10-20 years ago.

CC has happened ever since the earth began. I do not believe humans are a significant factor in the climate changing. It will inevitably change whether there are humans or not.
They always point to events where no one lives, or that are freak events. After all, in the past, we have the Children’s Blizzard, the Blizzard of 1888, the Dust Bowl the “year without summer“ which was 1816 and various other events. New York City is not underwater. Everything with them it’s always an emergency with literally no chance to think. Think about what happened with the Covid lockdowns; emergency actions without any opportunities to discuss, such as locking playgrounds, tennis courts and beaches. We were talked to like we were children.

Same with “climate change.“

Old 08-08-2022, 08:49 AM

880 posts, read 564,600 times
I realize this thread is a few months old already... but I want to point out a few obvious points.

No one here has any idea what they're talking about... whether they believe, or do not believe in "Global Warming." So guidoLaMoto, while I agree with you in theory, I know that neither you or I have any background in environmental sciences. And Ruth4Truth, as much as you quest for truth, you don't know any better than the rest of us either... and simply forward things that reinforce your world view, as we do ours.

As long as we can all accept that, then we can move forward. Because in reality... there are competing theories.

I won't get into my *opinions* of what I think about the reality of global warming, other than what I think about the solution.

There have been countless... numerous "crying wolf" scenarios where people have said the world would end from climate change. We've surpassed every milestone that's been arbitrarily placed by alarmists, and here we are. It certainly doesn't help their cause when people say "the world will... like... end in 12 years," and here we are 4 years into that claim.

What I am very frustrated about is that every single piece of legislation that ever crosses the desk of a world-body, or the U.S. house of representatives... every single one has the same solution. The United States uses taxpayer money, and gives it to someone else.

I can simply never go along with (for whatever that's worth), the constant demand that WE give money to other countries to solve global warming. Change should start at home... and it should never require us to continue to sacrifice our wealth for others to simply use it as a means to exploit us. The majority of this money absolutely never goes to where it's intended to go... and always goes to enrich wealthy bureaucracies around the world that simply use it to further lobby our government.

Let's solve OUR problems first... there is a LOT that we can do here to help the environment. Stop spending money on windmills that are made outside of the United States, and cannot be recycled but instead buried when they have to be replaced every 8-10 years.

Let's instead encourage manufacturers to install solar panels on new construction homes... offer significant tax breaks TO THE BUILDERS for implementing energy-saving features on the onset... such as solar, significant insulation, etc. It's much cheaper to implement these things, than retrofitting and providing tax breaks after the fact. It's literally cheaper for everyone.

Let's implement a nation-wide recycling program... or at least a framework for what that looks like. More than half my trash is recycling... it's very important to me. It's been a shock to find out that nearly every Democrat-leaning city I've lived in, the recycling ends up getting dumped in the exact same landfill as the normal trash.. and not actually recycled at all. Let's help implement facilities like this one near my rental property in Fort Lauderdale, the Wheelabrator. This recycles ALL metals, some plastics, and incinerates the rest... which in turn produces electricity back on the grid. All the smoke / exhaust is scrubbed by filters, which are in-turn incinerated after the fact as well, and only the final ash is buried after being treated. The waste is far, far less... and all the rare-Earth elements are saved, with a significant amount of recycling performed.

Let's improve wetland mitigation, and encourage cities and counties to set-aside natural wildlife zones... or even connected "greenbelts" like they do in Texas, which ensures that wildlife migration can never be interrupted through a major metropolis... (e.g., there are large areas of uninterrupted green areas that are never interrupted, and have bridges placed over them).

There is so much that we CAN be doing, but instead... we focus on legislation that essentially means giving money to some international bureaucracy. I cannot, and will never support this. Quite frankly, it intentionally feels like a scam for which many people are fooled into supporting.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 618,741 times
I have one question? Why are climate activists (Obama, Kerry, Gates, etc.) buying and have bought beach front properties? Does that mean they don't really believe in climate change? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:47 PM

880 posts, read 564,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
I have one question? Why are climate activists (Obama, Kerry, Gates, etc.) buying and have bought beach front properties? Does that mean they don't really believe in climate change? Doesn't make sense to me.

For the same reason why every "solution" to climate change always results in taking taxpayer money, and giving it to some other country to do with what they please. It's corruption.

I always get a kick out of it when these people tell us that we need to sacrifice and live a more modest life, all while they're buying multiple estates and flying around on private jets.

Do as I say, not as I do...

Old 08-08-2022, 04:00 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
In the 90s, the Maldives Islands tried to use the classic "Environmentalist" tactic of sue & settle with BP, claiming fossil fuel induced sea level rise was wiping out their island nation....

...but BP didn't take the bait. The suit was dropped by the environmentalists, knowing they couldn't prove their case in court.....

....so instead, they are seeking investors for resort hotels to be built on those supposedly disappearing beaches. https://www.smergers.com/business/re...aldives/unjfz/

Old 08-08-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In the 90s, the Maldives Islands tried to use the classic "Environmentalist" tactic of sue & settle with BP, claiming fossil fuel induced sea level rise was wiping out their island nation....

...but BP didn't take the bait. The suit was dropped by the environmentalists, knowing they couldn't prove their case in court.....

....so instead, they are seeking investors for resort hotels to be built on those supposedly disappearing beaches. https://www.smergers.com/business/re...aldives/unjfz/
I think the U.S.-administered Marshall Islands tried a variation on the same stunt. The Prime Minister demanded a huge payoff. I am sure none of it would have disappeared. </sarcasm>

Old 08-10-2022, 09:03 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
GLM said this

I asked for a reference.. what did I get back.. LOL.. a list of the general references at the bottom of Ole Humlum's paper. Im supposed to read through all of those I guess because GLM didnt? And from Humlin LOL https://skepticalscience.com/humlum-at-it-again.html

Since I guess you cant find an actual legitimate peer reviewed reference, lets just take a quick look at what the best and the brightest climate scientists say about this (IPCC) https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...me_Low_Res.pdf

Its easy to find references backing up that we are causing the current warming - because the science supports this. Easy to find many more references but Im pretty sure someone who just needs to know that CO2 levels were higher 50 million years ago likely wont read any of them.

I dont pretend to think there is a good solution for the climate change that is happening but am positive that you folks who deny that we are causing it are getting played by the huge amount of $$$ the fossil fuel industry is investing in deceiving you. Who has the nose ring on?
You are quoting IPCC. Do you know the history of this organization?

You need to watch this documentary - lengthy - 1 hour+, but would answer all your questions, points you to the data and you could then argue with the prominent scientists - whose names included in your favorite IPCC “2500 scientists agreeing with man-made climate change due to CO2” - BUT who are ACTUALLY against this postulate as unscientific, and some of them had to threaten legal actions so their names should be removed from the list unsuccessfully…due to in part a legitimate research by them included in that report as well. Vey muddied canning approach by IPCC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

Explains, that the actual warming of the Earth is most likely (according to data from hundreds of millions years ago) due to our Sun’s activity which after a sequence of natural events leads to higher levels of CO2 emitted by the oceans - the lag is around 800 years due to the vast amount of the ocean’s water taking some time to warm up and then it’s release of CO2

Check that data - it is referenced in the documentary.

The 1% you quoting is addressed there too - it is an exaggeration, and it is very insignificant anyway compare to the periodic CO2 release by the oceans

Watch it - then come back and tell us what do you think after. Basically, follow the politics -explained, and now the money

Similar conclusions are in the book “Unsettled” by physicist Steven Koonin - a lot of data references there for you to explore as well

Climate change became a fake “orthodoxy” with fervor of religious inquisition against the heretics of the 21st century- ”climate deniers” who are muzzled and threatened

We now abhor the inquisition as a shameful period in our history. Don’t be a modern day inquisitor, educate yourself

Last edited by L00k4ward; 08-10-2022 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living