Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Just for the record, I dont see any backup for your "fact".
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013...53_634x376.jpg

Do we really need to post references for the "no more snow in the UK by 2012" or "no more arctic sea ice by 2015" nonsense?

I do not post references for many things I post because I've probably already done it here before and don't need to repeat it again for those who are paying attention, or the facts are common knowledge for anybody who is already paying attention to the subject.

you, Walt, have in fact stated in so many words that you believe co2 has just got to be the problem without adequate support-- because there is no adequate support for the concept-- It's ONLY a theory with NO experimental evidence and statistical support ONLY when the data is cherry picked....The computer models are notoriously wrong, but then they'd have to be because most of them don't account for solar irradiance, obviously the most important factor in Earth's climate, no allowance for clouds and little, if any for ocean dynamics. They are art work meant to fit the narrative, resembling more a caricature cartoon than an oil painting.

This IS a political topic. It's one of those "create a problem that only our party can fix so they have to keep voting for us" modus operandi advocated in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals-- the handbook for revolution.. Don't be so naive .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Just for the record, I dont see any backup for your "fact".
AL Gore made public statements saying the polar ice caps would be completely melted in or around 2010. That is public record.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:51 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,247,909 times
Ok.. we see where you are coming from posting some non scientific articles, the links from 32 to 50 years ago.

I have of course seen this before, the 50 year list is very close to a script I heard on a conservative AM radio talk show on climate change. It looks like You made up the world is coming to an end part except with maybe AOC who did say “destroy the planet” in a dozen years. The headline from 1990 was about ozone, not green house gas.

I do agree that you have to be somewhat dim to get your climate change info from either AOC or Al Gore. Same as you have to be somewhat dim to decide climate change isnt happening by those single event headlines just posted from 30 to 50 years ago.

One other thing that you may have missed. Most of handful of predictions did NOT say the world would end by some time. What they actually say is that we have to react by some time or some bad thing would happen. Big difference in meaning.

For someone more thoughtful, what those warning are mostly addressing are tipping points where once you reach that point, you no longer have control. Here is a scientific reference from 2021 (not some BS headline from 50 years ago) https://news.climate.columbia.edu/20...20of%20warming.

Quote:
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has warned that exceeding 2°C of warming could have catastrophic consequences and that we need to keep global warming to 1.5°C. The world is currently on track to surpass both of those limits
Quote:
Recent IPCC assessments, however, suggested that tipping points could be reached between 1°C and 2°C of warming.
Talked about are the Greenland ice sheet, West Antarctic ice sheet, global ocean currents (AMOC) etc.

Remember there is a distinction between when a tipping point occurs and when some even such as the Maldives being under water. Tipping points are of course hard to exactly predict but we are certainly in the time frame of them occurring. Remember that CO2 put in the atmosphere stays there for a LONG time.

Another good subject is has how accurate have the IPCC predictions been.

Or.. if this is all too complicated (Im guessing the link wont get looked at), just go by the headline shots in the last post.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:52 PM

34,987 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Are you asking me to make an itemized list of all the times a public figure said the world was going to end from global warming, within a time-period that has since already passed?
Well, now California is about to be destroyed by catastrophic floods (link).

Old 08-15-2022, 03:13 PM

From GLM... who you need to fact check but does result in the discussion being at a higher level.

Quote:
you, Walt, have in fact stated in so many words that you believe co2 has just got to be the problem without adequate support-- because there is no adequate support for the concept-- It's ONLY a theory with NO experimental evidence and statistical support ONLY when the data is cherry picked....The computer models are notoriously wrong, but then they'd have to be because most of them don't account for solar irradiance, obviously the most important factor in Earth's climate, no allowance for clouds and little, if any for ocean dynamics. They are art work meant to fit the narrative, resembling more a caricature cartoon than an oil painting.
You are making up the part about no experimental evidence. We just had a big discussion that the climate change cant be from the sun as the sun has been decreasing in power since satellites have been directly measuring it since before 1980. What we can say is that no one has shown that the climate change could be caused by anything else except our human influence . And what can be shown is that the green house gases we have emitted could have resulted in the exact situation we are in. Ie, nothing but our emissions can describe what has happened while at the same time, the emissions do describe what is happening.

So how accurate have been the computer models (looking at other sources than the super scientific rag dailymail. https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...lobal-warming/

Scroll down and look at the plots (interactive so you have to open the link to look at them).

GLM's plot from the this magazine https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html (you know its a scientific magizine by the headlines) is distorted and incorrect. Maybe you can find out where that plot came from..

Last edited by waltcolorado; 08-15-2022 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 04:24 PM

880 posts, read 563,774 times
Quote:
Ok.. we see where you are coming from posting some non scientific articles, the links from 32 to 50 years ago.

I have of course seen this before, the 50 year list is very close to a script I heard on a conservative AM radio talk show on climate change. It looks like You made up the world is coming to an end part except with maybe AOC who did say “destroy the planet” in a dozen years. The headline from 1990 was about ozone, not green house gas.

I do agree that you have to be somewhat dim to get your climate change info from either AOC or Al Gore. Same as you have to be somewhat dim to decide climate change isnt happening by those single event headlines just posted from 30 to 50 years ago.

Or.. if this is all too complicated (Im guessing the link wont get looked at), just go by the headline shots in the last post.

Translation... you were wrong, realized you were wrong after a mountain of evidence, and are now calling people "dim."

Old 08-15-2022, 05:16 PM

Let me see.. you posted pages of opinion (not worth reading), some useful stuff on wild fire and this in one post

Quote:
The fact that there have been repeated end-of-the-world claims since I became an adult over 25 years ago, does not help sway me either. They've all been proven wrong.

I asked for a reference and got a handful of headlines generally put together to influence the gullible or something from OAC or Al Gore.. You know you are dealing with state of the art science when someone mentions these two politicians.

Remember, you said they've all been proven wrong which is BS. I just asked for a reference

We can pull up all sort of cases where climate predictions have been accurate. These are a little more complicated to read which might be an issue since I think the comment that most of what you pulled up were about tipping points which must not have registered.

https://theconversation.com/20-years...ome-true-11245

Quote:
In 1990, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – a group of the world’s top climate scientists – released its First Assessment Report, predicting global warming of about 1.1 degrees celsius between 1990 and 2030.

In today’s edition of Nature Climate Change, climate scientists David Frame and Dáithí A. Stone argue that, halfway through that projection period, the predictions made in 1990 are proving mostly accurate
Or this from 2018 https://theconversation.com/40-years...e-right-120502

Quote:
In the 40 years since their meeting, the annual average CO₂ concentration in the atmosphere, as measured at Mauna Loa in Hawaii, has increased by about 21%. Over the same period, global average surface temperature has increased by about 0.66℃, almost exactly what could have been expected if a doubling of CO₂ produces about 2.5℃ warming – just a bit below their best estimate. A remarkably prescient prediction.
Another from 2020 https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2943/s...ections-right/

Another one showing fairly good IPCC accuracy https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...lobal-warming/

More links on sea level rise and predictions.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazard...ch-report.html

.https://blogs.egu.eu/divisions/gd/20...ea-level-rise/

Climate change predictions have NOT been proven wrong.

Last edited by waltcolorado; 08-15-2022 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 224 times
Safest Disaster Locations (Flood) Looks Currently Like
#1 West-Lincoln Nebraska Mid-WestEast
... Safer to Riskier ...
#2 West Oregon Mid-West,
#3 Mid-Country,
#4 SouthEast,
#5 west Coast,
#6 NorthEast.

Financing Wanted $35,000 Will Donate Pay-off Fund to Charity

Wagon Train Disaster Evacuation Assistance and Salvage Co. Nationwide
[url]https://www.gofundme.com/f/wagon-train-disaster-assistance-and-salvage[/url]

Nationwide Disaster Evacuation Assistance and Salvage Company startup
with PAID Drivers, Pilots, Salvage Crew, and Transit-Station/Housing-Facility.
Including Floods and Climate.

Graduated-Scale Advance-Pay After Second Week of On-line Class and Stand-by-Hire.

Startup Tasks:
Computer Fees
On-line Crew Orientation /Class
Heavy Truck /Repair
Evac Route Mapping
Safety Equipment
Tools

Old 08-16-2022, 07:09 AM

880 posts, read 563,774 times
Quote:
Let me see.. you posted pages of opinion (not worth reading), some useful stuff on wild fire and this in one post...

(snip)

I asked for a reference and got a handful of headlines generally put together to influence the gullible or something from OAC or Al Gore.. You know you are dealing with state of the art science when someone mentions these two politicians.

I quoted at least 3 predictions from the Chief Scientist of Climate Science for the United Nations... three different people... all direct quotes, sanctioned by the UN. I stopped reading them, but included the link that listed another 47 of them over the years.

Quote:
Remember, you said they've all been proven wrong which is BS. I just asked for a reference.

Here's my reference, the Earth is still here, and the world did not end.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:37 AM

9,845 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I quoted at least 3 predictions from the Chief Scientist of Climate Science for the United Nations... three different people... all direct quotes, sanctioned by the UN. I stopped reading them, but included the link that listed another 47 of them over the years.

Here's my reference, the Earth is still here, and the world did not end.
Yes, agree with you. Decades of dire predictions, from the coming ice age to global warming to climate change.

More fires, water shortages, coastline flooding, rolling blackouts, etc.

So has everyone moved to a location that will be safer and better for your family and the environment? A place that has water, where you can grow food, where you don't need to use so much a/c or heat? Where you can survive the coming changes?

If not, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living