Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 04:38 PM

7,378 posts, read 5,300,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just as significantly, nowhere does the research support a premise that an increase in government strangulation of the economy will prevent these nightmare scenarios. Perhaps millions of people should not be living in such fragile areas?
Several good posts here, J....

You may be interested in this. ...Waiting for the debate itself to come on-line.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/...essler-debate/

The audience was polled before & after the debate-- about 1 in 5 "Warmists" were convinced to change sides by the debate, and about 2 of every 3 "undecided" before became "Anti-Warmist" afterwards.

It's very difficult to defend the indefensible in an open discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 05:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,601,749 times
- What happened to these imminent disasters below?

- seizmologists predicted a mega earthquake would throw Cali into the ocean and AZ was going to have beachfront homes?
- computers and the Millenium apocalypse?
- 2012 and the Mayan Calendar?
- planet X (Niburu) would collide with the earth?

The news needs to stop the constant push to make people worry about climate change or yet another end of life on earth event because a consensus of scientists "experts" say it is so. The majorities of authorities on a topic have been wrong before and will be again. However, I am all for less pollution and can't stand L.A.'s smog. As a mountain biker, I've seen smog in plain sight from the Santa Monica mountains down the coast.
I can claim that I am an expert on smog from doing outdoor sports. It's different.

Anti-warmists !!! Really? No doubt it's warming but is it cyclical?

What proves the weather change cause is not a cyclical 100 to 400, or 2000 yr pattern combined with the increased ocean trash and oil spills?
My reason is since the earth is 70% water and 30% land mass can our C02 pollution really be the main driver? We didn't have industrialization in the 1800s or earlier and cities still have record temps from back then. So...??

Obviously the human population has rocketed upwards from millenia and we pollute more and more. This is convincing myself as I type.

Why is not related to the oceans and killing off marine environments than tens of thousands of people driving an SUV, Dodge Hellcat or Mustang GT. the oceans have become far more toxic and our land too, (not just the politicians, lol).

Last edited by frankrj; 08-16-2022 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 08:49 PM

21,532 posts, read 10,662,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
We can use the water. Bring it on .
That was my first thought.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
"This will cool its payload of vapor and kick off weeks and waves of rain and snow."

And here in the PNW, we've already had weeks - scratch that, MONTHS - of rain. And we had snow, too, this year.

But I do remember the El Ninos of the very early 80s in the Bay Area. Hills in the Santa Cruz Mtns that had been stable for decades slid, bringing down a lot of houses with them. It's not pretty when it happens.
I remember the houses sliding down with the mudslides in the ‘90s as well.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:33 AM

9,970 posts, read 7,875,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Me too. Early 2000's too. And I remember sandbagging our houses to prevent the rain water from coming in and flooding the first floor. And everyone in the neighborhood draining their overflowing pools into the streets with garden hoses siphoning out the water.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:20 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,955,764 times
Quote:
I remember the dog handlers from SAR. In their training, the dogs are taught to walk and stand on shaky objects. One of the SAR members told of her dog jumping on a collapsed house that then started to slide down the canyon. Her dog just relaxed and she thought she'd never see him again, but the dog jumped off just as the house started to disintegrate.

Other handlers were telling me about how deep the mud was and that their dogs would be up to their bellies in cold mud searching for victims of slides. I know one time I stepped in mud so deep I couldn't pull my boot out. Just my foot came out.

Scary times, for sure.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Me too. Early 2000's too. And I remember sandbagging our houses to prevent the rain water from coming in and flooding the first floor. And everyone in the neighborhood draining their overflowing pools into the streets with garden hoses siphoning out the water.
Good times right? I didn’t live there but natural disasters are nothing new. I lived through a thousand-year storm during Hurricane Harvey, where the sky opened up and dropped four feet of rain on us in three days. That’s more than our average ANNUAL rainfall and we are in a semi-tropical climate with a pretty decent amount of rain. I’ve been through windier hurricanes that weren’t half as terrifying.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:37 PM

15,717 posts, read 7,725,076 times
Quote:
Good times right? I didn’t live there but natural disasters are nothing new. I lived through a thousand-year storm during Hurricane Harvey, where the sky opened up and dropped four feet of rain on us in three days. That’s more than our average ANNUAL rainfall and we are in a semi-tropical climate with a pretty decent amount of rain. I’ve been through windier hurricanes that weren’t half as terrifying.
The average Houston area annual rainfall is about 49 inches, so you received one year's rain in 3 days. That happens sometimes.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I remember the dog handlers from SAR. In their training, the dogs are taught to walk and stand on shaky objects. One of the SAR members told of her dog jumping on a collapsed house that then started to slide down the canyon. Her dog just relaxed and she thought she'd never see him again, but the dog jumped off just as the house started to disintegrate.

Other handlers were telling me about how deep the mud was and that their dogs would be up to their bellies in cold mud searching for victims of slides. I know one time I stepped in mud so deep I couldn't pull my boot out. Just my foot came out.

Scary times, for sure.
Oh wow, that’s an amazing story! I didn’t know that. What would the world be like if we never domesticated dogs?

Old 08-17-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The average Houston area annual rainfall is about 49 inches, so you received one year's rain in 3 days. That happens sometimes.
It was a once in a hundred lifetimes storm. I’ve been through many floods but this one was different. Even so I’d take another Harvey over our big freeze a couple of years ago just because the freeze was so miserable. At least I was warm during Harvey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living