Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 10:43 PM

212 posts, read 231,363 times

Advertisements

In 2015 I started researching to be sure about climate change because I thought it was suspicious that what I thought was scientific fact was still being debated. I came across lots of information in support of an upcoming mini ice age like that of the late 1600s and 1700s. It is recorded how much colder it was.

There are these graphs that show the cycles of intensity of heat from the sun, and apparently there were several magazines published in the 1970s saying that an ice age was approaching.

And then I watched this video where a man took a case for global warming and refuted it. And then he took another case for global warming and refuted it again. And so on for like 40 minutes. I was convinced. In the past there were increases in heat just before cooling periods. Regardless, I don’t have to believe global warming to boycott oil companies

Keeping in mind that climate is different than weather in that climate is a measure of weather over long periods of time — Northern Illinois has had snowfall in April five years in a row. I think it’s starting, and I can see the appeal to corporate rulers of selling false science to build fear in the public and push harmful legislation, and then revel in the public outrage when they realize they’ve been lied to :|

((Regardless of me being right or wrong, I don’t have to believe global warming to have good reasons to boycott oil companies )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 01:46 AM

7,273 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I— Northern Illinois has had snowfall in April five years in a row.
))
We can deduce you're either younger than 40 or don't pay much attention....Snowfall in IL is not at all uncommon in April. Opening Day at Wrigley Field is always in jeopardy of getting "snowed out."

There's a ~60 yr cycle to weather-- 30 yrs of warming , then 30 yrs of cooling. The 30s-50s were very hot (the hottest until GISS "adjusted" the records in the last few yrs). The 60s-80s really cold & snowy...Chicago had its Great Blizzard of 67 and really brutal winter of 78/79. They piled the snow shoveled from the streets in N Lincoln Park along the lakefront 30 ft high and it didn't all melt away until the middle of June....The last 30 yrs have been warm again, and we're about to get cold....There has been essentially no warming over the last 20 yrs. ( <0.1degC since 1997 and actually cooling since 2006 https://wattsupwiththat.com/uah-version-6/

BTW- what's another reason to protest Big Oil?...Have you ever chopped wood & stoked a fireplace in the middle of the night?...and I suppose you drive your SUV to the protests? You deserve a cookie.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:45 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just curious; what happened to that Ohio lake? Did it replenish eventually, or is it still dry?
It filled back up. But this isn't unusual. Lake levels always go up and down. There is a lake north of Newport TN that we drive by several times a year on our way to visit family. It went dry a few years ago and we used to laugh at all the names of the businesses called Lakeside or Lake something. It's filled back up again.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:48 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just curious; what happened to that Ohio lake? Did it replenish eventually, or is it still dry?
It filled back up. But this isn't unusual. Lake levels always go up and down. There is a lake north of Newport TN that we drive by several times a year on our way to visit family. It went dry a few years ago and we used to laugh at all the names of the businesses called Lakeside or Lake something. Instead of boaters, we'd see people driving their ATV's across the lake. It's filled back up again too.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:59 PM

It looks like the reason Lake Meade in AZ is so low now is not "the drought" but increased usage of the water by humans-- https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/...ons-and-trend/

I didn't read the article yet-- just looked at the pretty pichers-- According to the graphs the snow pack that feeds the river and the rainfall for the area is pretty stable around it's 80 yr normal. It's the yearly draw-off that is increasing steadily.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It looks like the reason Lake Meade in AZ is so low now is not "the drought" but increased usage of the water by humans-- https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/...ons-and-trend/

I didn't read the article yet-- just looked at the pretty pichers-- According to the graphs the snow pack that feeds the river and the rainfall for the area is pretty stable around it's 80 yr normal. It's the yearly draw-off that is increasing steadily.
Which is just more demonstration of how willfully ignorant and incredibly stupid certain types of humans are. It's lame.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:23 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
Californians are getting plenty of climate change warning with increasing drought and wildfire. California's population may stabilize for a while with a much smaller number of desert survivors, but then the sea level rise will probably cover the Central Valley and more populated land between the Salton Sea and the Gulf.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:46 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Californians are getting plenty of climate change warning with increasing drought and wildfire. California's population may stabilize for a while with a much smaller number of desert survivors, but then the sea level rise will probably cover the Central Valley and more populated land between the Salton Sea and the Gulf.
One has to drink a lot of alarmist Kool-Aid to believe that, though I admit you have read it from previously reliable sources.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:10 PM

With the advent of economically available air conditioning in the 1960s, formerly uncomfortable areas in The South/SW became desirable choices for relocation for large numbers of people....While they solved the problem of uncomfortable temperatures by using technology, they opened up the new problem of too little available fresh water for the growing population....

....so now we need a new tech solution to this problem. Sun-powered desalinization plants would seem the likely answer.

I wonder if The Environmentalists among the first Africans admonished against moving north to Europe-- "You're gunna hafta build FIRES just to stay warm in the winter!... You'll run out of wood!"

In Nature, the Carrying Capacity determines how large the population can get. Humans have used technology to increase the carrying capacity for our species...The potential problem is that the carrying capacity can fall (maybe suddenly & precipitously) when the tech become unavailable for one reason or another....The concept of "sustainability" comes to mind.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:41 PM

183 posts, read 122,363 times
When it gets to the point that perfectly preserved dinosaur footprints start showing up on dry riverbeds, I don't know... doesn't that make a person's hair stand up on the back of their neck even just slightly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living