Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 04:35 PM

35,382 posts, read 17,279,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post
When it gets to the point that perfectly preserved dinosaur footprints start showing up on dry riverbeds, I don't know... doesn't that make a person's hair stand up on the back of their neck even just slightly?
Unless that's happened countless times before over the millennia, which I suspect it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 10:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,170,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
With the advent of economically available air conditioning in the 1960s, formerly uncomfortable areas in The South/SW became desirable choices for relocation for large numbers of people....While they solved the problem of uncomfortable temperatures by using technology, they opened up the new problem of too little available fresh water for the growing population....

....so now we need a new tech solution to this problem. Sun-powered desalinization plants would seem the likely answer......
I think the air conditioners are perhaps one obvious answer to water, even if it's only in a small way. After all these decades gone by of never needing A/C, this summer I finally had to break down and buy myself a mobile air conditioner because the heat has been so deadly unbearable. What a huge surprise I got when I discovered what else it did.

I've only used the machine for one month now but I have been shocked at the approximately 10 gallons of crystal clear water it extracts and delivers as a by-product every day of use and that water is being taken straight from the air. I had not been expecting the machine to do that, especially since the air isn't particularly humid here.

I don't know if that water is safe to drink or not (because I don't know if somehow the machine possibly alters the chemistry of the water??? .... does anyone know?), but I've been giving that 10 gallons of water a day to some of the worst drought and heat stricken plants in the gardens and so far the plants are responding well and I haven't seen any sign of ill effects in the plants that I've been giving that water to.

Does anyone know how I could go about finding out if the extracted water produced by the air conditioner is or is not chemically altered and if it may be safe for drinking or other practical household use that requires physical contact with it?

Old 08-29-2022, 02:28 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,262,711 times
Theoretically, that condensation is as pure as you can get-- if you can get it right off the cold copper tubing. But it may be fouled by dirt and such that it picks up as it makes its way out where you can see & collect it.

https://www.precisionairandplumbing....produce-water/

https://highperformancehvac.com/air-...tion-problems/

I'm sure it's good for plants or washing. It's essentially distilled water + whatever dirt it picks up along the way out.

While every little bit helps, I guess, the places that have the biggest problems with water supply are also the ones that produce very little, if any condensate from an AC, the humidity being so low in those places.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,170,504 times
Thank you muchly for that information Guido.

It's good to learn how that works and that the machine is functioning very well beyond my expectations. Now I have just learned a new trick for playing around with water that comes from the air.

I won't use that water for personal consumption but it's good to know that it's basically pure distilled water as you say and can't hurt the plants. I think I will try giving some of it to my collection of indoor orchids and other exotic houseplants as well that all need soft water with no traces of chlorine treatment in it. Our domestic water out of the taps here is soft but is treated with chlorine. So this A/C water will be kind of like giving some homemade champagne to the orchids as a special treat.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:12 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One has to drink a lot of alarmist Kool-Aid to believe that, though I admit you have read it from previously reliable sources.
The sea level rise is expected to flood the Central Valley, but it'll be a bit of a wait before that happens. It's not about Kool-Aid; it's simply a matter of how long it will take to reach that point.

Keep your eye on Greenland and Antarctica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living