Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are enviornmental protection actions useful?
Useful, saves the earth 21 36.21%
Neutral 9 15.52%
Feel-good virtue signallin 19 32.76%
Creates more problems than it solves 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 05:11 AM

50,457 posts, read 64,317,889 times

Advertisements

I have cloth grocery bags that are 15 years old. They very seldom wear out. We save any plastic grocery bags for our local Lions Club. When they get a bale of them, the Trex company turns them into a bench, which gets donated to the community.

Do I think our recycling is going to save the ocean, or sea turtles, or whatever? Maybe not, but if everyone did a little, it would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 06:16 AM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Do I think our recycling is going to save the ocean, or sea turtles, or whatever? Maybe not, but if everyone did a little, it would help.
Not really, when cascades of bags are floating down the Ganges into the oceans.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:56 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,335,290 times
Ironcially the first COVID related emergency restriction to be lifted is the ban on reusable bags and utencils and suspension of mandatory fees while other restrictions.

California lifted the ban and fee for only 2 months instead of two years strategically to allow big grocers to save on bag fees and that they have a guideline and excuse to restart charging as soon as possible. If they didn't do it stores would have to comp thicker bags or paper bags for free which costs them higher overhead and there is no timeframe or excuse when they should charge again.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:03 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
I tried the cloth totes but kept forgetting and leaving them in the car. Now I usually just load the food into the cart and roll it out to the car and stick in into the tote bags to get it all into the house.

But I have also started paying 10 cents per paper bag at one store. It makes it easier to carry and I do reuse the paper bags for trash. I don't think paper is as big a problem as plastic. Still some stores, like the pharmacy, will use a plastic bag and I save those as there are many uses such as waste basket liners. I learned from a young age not to waste things and we learned recycling back in the 1970s with Earth Day. It's far from perfect but I think avoiding plastic as much as possible will make some sort of a difference.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:33 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,335,290 times
Its interesting the poll stands for environmental movements which I insist not a one size fit all poll as there are many different types of environmental movements some are legit others are just feel good fads that makes things worse not better. Btw I learned that some California cities are discovering that they can make an ordinance that covers stores not covered under the statewide SB270 and cover pretty much anyone or any business who comps a bag with purchase, I heard LA just quietly had its expanded bag ordinance go into effect which I find is ridiculous the average shopper barely gets the same number of bags a year as they do for one trip to the grocery store. And retail is dying out anyways many stores and malls are already closed. Do we need more opportunities for shrinkage?

Its interesting as for many years since 2016 cities in CA stopped going after this issue since SB270 took into effect but 2022 they suddenly realized this. Its interesting CA has a grandfather clause that ordinances prior to 2014 are allowed to stay but must not be changed or they be subject to SB270 thus many cities left it alone until now for some reason.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-06-2023 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-07-2023, 05:17 AM

338 posts, read 161,895 times
Maybe it's different elsewhere, but it just seems like a whole lot of worthless virtue signaling when the Government of Canada made a big deal about banning "single use plastics" to save the planet, yet Canadians still buy our milk packaged in single use plastic bags instead of jugs or cartons like they do south of the border.

As for the reusable grocery bags... We actually bought a bunch of collapsible cartons to bring our groceries home in. However, you inevitably forget them at home or leave them in the car while shopping which means you end up having to buy reusable bags. Now we have reusable bags full of reusable bags that will eventually end up in the trash as well. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Governments: If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions!

Old 07-11-2023, 02:07 AM

19,905 posts, read 22,843,106 times
My wife has cotton bags. She doesn’t forget them and if they need mending she mends them. When they’re beyond repair they get cut open and used around the veggie garden plants to keep weeds at bay, or stuffed into the dog beds. Same with cotton T’s or socks. Hell anything with natural fibers gets reused in this house.

And then ultimately composted if not used to clean with solvents. Those I burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living