Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 05:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

California Gov. Gavin Newsom this month signed a bill that requires state regulators to create a program allowing “natural organic reduction” by 2027.

No need for an urn or a casket: California will soon offer a new option to be laid to rest — in a steel vessel, surrounded by wood chips and destined to become compost that could fertilize new life.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom this month signed a bill that requires state regulators to create a program allowing “natural organic reduction” by 2027. It will become the fifth state to pass legislation permitting what providers often call “human composting” or “terramation.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/sci....atch-rcna48653
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 05:11 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
News, ‘I’ve always wanted to be a tree’

Old 10-01-2022, 03:53 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
While I am a proponent of cremation, this is just a silly grand-stand play to virtue signal.

Composting your table scraps is fine if your total garden consists of a couple Boston Ferns hanging in the window of your 65th floor condo. That could save you maybe 25 cents a month in fertilizer costs.

But a one acre field of corn requires 4000 lb of dried cow manure to supply its nitrogen needs each year--- and we grow 90 MILLION ac of corn here....Just for perspective.

Check the agronomy textbooks-- a full 50% of the world's farm production requires artificial fertilizer.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I wouldn't be so quick to attribute it to virtue signaling.
Cremation just isn't for everyone (it bothers me quite a bit) and a regular burial is expensive and often involves a lot of unnecessary (to me anyway) chemicals.
When I go I want it to be something more natural and hopefully not cost an arm and a leg just to dispose of my body. I'm all for natural burial, tree pod burial, or any other method that doesn't involve burning my body or trying to artificially preserve it somehow. I just want to go back to the dust and dirt and feed the worms.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:18 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to attribute it to virtue signaling.
Cremation just isn't for everyone (it bothers me quite a bit) and a regular burial is expensive and often involves a lot of unnecessary (to me anyway) chemicals.
When I go I want it to be something more natural and hopefully not cost an arm and a leg just to dispose of my body. I'm all for natural burial, tree pod burial, or any other method that doesn't involve burning my body or trying to artificially preserve it somehow. I just want to go back to the dust and dirt and feed the worms.
Technically, you could still use traditional burial in your location and have it as natural as it went for thousands of years - just decline to pay for embalming, concrete vault, etc - use the untreated wood or wicker casket - you could buy those in advance yourself- and ask to just be wrapped in a cotton shroud or use 100% cotton/linen clothing - is as natural as it gets.

It is illegal for funeral directors to sell you services you don’t want. You are allowed to bring your own casket - they sell them on-line.

Not sure how composting is better - how do they assure high temps to kill/destroy hazards? Toxic metals? Chemotherapy drugs?, artificial joints?
Sounds convoluted

Last edited by L00k4ward; 10-02-2022 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 01:31 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Not sure how composting is better - how do they assure high temps to kill/destroy hazards? Toxic metals? Chemotherapy drugs?, artificial joints?
Sounds convoluted
Good points. I've never really considered those things before. How do they account for them, if they do, in a natural burial, say for reasons of groundwater contamination?

Old 10-02-2022, 02:12 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Good points. I've never really considered those things before. How do they account for them, if they do, in a natural burial, say for reasons of groundwater contamination?
You will be 6 feet under - the soil will act as a filter.
The drugs eventually will break down hopefully by microorganisms - concurrent with the human bodies

The artificial limb will remain, but your body will become just a dark colored spot on a light colored subsoil - from my experience in an archeological expeditions- depending on the activity of the soil’s microorganisms and climatic conditions, the time - sooner or later.
The ones where the bodies became as a dark soil imprint - were 1000 years old - in my experience

The 5 thousands years old digs - will only have physical objects, decorations, etc. - with no evidence of organic matter at all:- unless you preserved in peat bogs or permafrost or specific climate caves or pyramids.

You will become soil

Old 10-02-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The ones where the bodies became as a dark soil imprint - were 1000 years old - in my experience
It's not just a coincidence that rich humus is black-- the same color as coal.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:28 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Similar idea is quite popular in many EU countries, especially Germany since 2001.
Not a whole body burial, but a person can have their ashes interred in a forest.
Back to nature, I would say...
https://sincereforests.eu/funeral-fo...en-two-worlds/

https://drhannahrumble.com/2012/10/g...als-ruheforst/

In England the laws are more lax with the prospect of laying loved ones to rest surrounded by trees and wildflower is making green funerals an increasingly attractive option for families to say goodbye.
https://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/ar...reen-funerals/

Old 10-02-2022, 04:52 PM

^^^ That probably satisfies some need for the loved ones, but at this point, the corpus delicti doesn't care too much...It's like first time parents decorating the nursery with Disney paraphernalia. The infant can't even see them, let alone appreciate what they are. The parents do it for themselves.

Once again-- "composting" a body is a token effort without practical benefit.

Check out the meager mineral content of a human body. Nitrogen is about 3% of a 150 lb Standard Man-- ie- <5lb...and it takes 200 lb of N to fertilize one acre of corn. So we need 40 corpses per ac of corn, and we grow 90 million ac of corn every year-- We'd need 3.6 BILLION corpses a year just to grow corn....That would solve our population problem pretty fast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compos...the_human_body
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living