Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 11:51 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
`1``````````
Hah! Please pay no attention to my post #88. I sometimes get up from my computer and forget to log off. Apparently my kitten saw his chance to join in with the discussion without my ever noticing until just now. Hopefully, one of the mods will remove my kitten's post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 04:17 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Ah. That expalins it. Funny, but I thought it was your most intelligent post on this thread.

The discussion always breaks down not into the question of "Does co2 contribute to warming?" but rather "How much does co2 contribute?" and more importantly "Can we (or should we) do anything about it?"...the answers are, respectively," Not much" and "No."

Your points reflect the dogma of The Warmists which simply don't hold up to close scrutiny. As Einstien said about his famous theory that had always been supported by observations-- "No accumulation of experimental evidience can prove me right, but just one adverse result can prove me wrong....In AGW Theory, there's a mountain of results that don't support it as a major contributor.

It's been a good conversation. I respect your efforts.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:20 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Human bodies are a great form of carbon capture, and hence many figures may be way off, due to population explosions skewing the numbers in the negative.

This, I have to add, means cremation is doubly damaging to the environment.

Feed the tree, while there are still some to.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:29 AM

616 posts, read 341,155 times
Great new thread in "Green Living" .....So, What Are You Willing To Give Up? Seriously, What? ..... I don't see anyone on the left or the right that is really walking the walk. Everyone wants the newest cell phone, unlimited electricity (energy), cases of expensive bottled waters, Amazon deliveries (cardboard box industry is exploding), etc.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:51 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Great new thread in "Green Living" .....So, What Are You Willing To Give Up? Seriously, What? ..... I don't see anyone on the left or the right that is really walking the walk. Everyone wants the newest cell phone, unlimited electricity (energy), cases of expensive bottled waters, Amazon deliveries (cardboard box industry is exploding), etc.
Well, as I said earlier in this thread, I gave up owning a car 3 years ago, and haven't owned one since. I could afford one if I needed one, I just choose not to. My primary transportation is my own 2 legs.

As for everything else, I think I'm pretty sustainable, at least much closer to neutral/sustainable than most Americans. I recycle everything that I can, including all cardboard. I do all my grocery shopping with the same canvas bag. And Seattle is really big on composting. I'm at least glad to live in a city that gives a crap about the environment and climate and future, unlike most of the myopic country.

I can't say that I never have bottled waters, but I don't buy them regularly, and I always recycle them. At home I have large gallon containers for water and stuff, and at work we have a sparkling water fountain thing instead of cans or bottles.

A cell phone has become a life necessity... but, you know, I have one cell phone. I've had it for a few years. It's not like I'm going thru cell phones. I usually trade them back in or sell or give them away, so I don't think I've ever thrown one away. Is that acceptable?

Old 11-05-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
... My primary transportation is my own 2 legs.
The old "Ten Toes Express." Very good.

Quote:
Is that acceptable?
The problem is, nothing you mentioned amounts to anything. It's all just a gesture to demonstrate that "you care."

On another thread (maybe another discussion site?) somone brought up the news that Boston was starting a city-wide composting project-- the scavenger service would pick up compostable material along with the re-cycling stuff....A back-of-the-envelope calculation showed that that could provide enough nitrogen for growing as much as 10,000 ac of corn each year....

...the problem, is, we grow 90 MILLION ac of corn here each year, and another 70 million ac of beans.

Composting may help keep your Boston Fern looking healthy on your condo balcony, but it's really just a gesture.

Recycling plastic takes more energy than not recycling and doesn't give us any appreciable amount of good product. Recycling paper is futile-- it recycles itself without our intervention.

As far as "nobody here walking the walk"-- maybe you don't know all of us very well.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:14 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem is, nothing you mentioned amounts to anything. It's all just a gesture to demonstrate that "you care."

On another thread (maybe another discussion site?) somone brought up the news that Boston was starting a city-wide composting project-- the scavenger service would pick up compostable material along with the re-cycling stuff....A back-of-the-envelope calculation showed that that could provide enough nitrogen for growing as much as 10,000 ac of corn each year....

...the problem, is, we grow 90 MILLION ac of corn here each year, and another 70 million ac of beans.

Composting may help keep your Boston Fern looking healthy on your condo balcony, but it's really just a gesture.

Recycling plastic takes more energy than not recycling and doesn't give us any appreciable amount of good product. Recycling paper is futile-- it recycles itself without our intervention.

As far as "nobody here walking the walk"-- maybe you don't know all of us very well.
Most of the steps people will realistically take are just gestures or "virtue signaling." In synagogue last night, out of fifty or so there, maybe five had masks, if you count one that was dangling from the chin. Virtue signaling reigns supreme.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:33 AM

^^^ Brings to mind the time over 40 y/a when I was on duty in the ER as a resident moonlighting on the northside of Chicago-- big Jewish demographic. The ambulance brought in a little old lady who was no doubt an immgrant who survived The War in Europe. "What happened?" I asked...Imagine her response in a heavy Yiddish accent-- "I don't know. I must have passed out right in the middle of services with everybody watching...It was terrrrrific!!"

In regards our efforts to eliminate fossil fuel-- China and India burn 70% of all fossil fuel used these days, and China is building one new coal-fired plant each week...Even if we stopped all coal & petroleum use here, it won't make any difference, so why dig ourselves deeper into an economic hole?

Old 11-05-2022, 06:36 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
^^^ Brings to mind the time over 40 y/a when I was on duty in the ER as a resident moonlighting on the northside of Chicago-- big Jewish demographic. The ambulance brought in a little old lady who was no doubt an immgrant who survived The War in Europe. "What happened?" I asked...Imagine her response in a heavy Yiddish accent-- "I don't know. I must have passed out right in the middle of services with everybody watching...It was terrrrrific!!"

Old 11-05-2022, 12:50 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
When all the grifters screaming "Muh Climate Change(TM)" from their Gulfstreams park them and fly commercial or take the subway.

When the grifters living in low lying coastal states while screaming about rising sea levels or something move to higher ground.

When they cut their own homes off from ALL fossil fuel energy and stop using all products that use any kind of fossil fuels or fossil fuel-derivative products.

etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living