Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 06:01 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,236,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Wow this is simple-minded. Read a book man, read lots of books, you've got massive catching up to do.

You're talking about hundreds of thousands of years when the damage has mostly been inflicted in just the last 100.

When you can’t produce a worthwhile argument or present a scientific data - then you resorting to insults?

It just shows - you got nothing!

Blindly repeating propaganda and slogans doesn’t count, btw

Guess, who has some catching up to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 10:09 PM

12,126 posts, read 8,523,626 times
You know what would be encouraging for me to see? That our world leaders in environmental issues, politics, medicine and various other areas in service to humankind use that new thingy called "Zoom" instead of flying to Cancun or other pleasant areas when they have their annual planning session.

My dentist spent a week in Africa for her conference. I don't know if that money could have been used in a more constructive manner.

I understand you can have multi-attendee conferences now without leaving your office. That would certainly lend some credence to the urgency of the issue.

I'm not convinced that there is much we can do at this stage about our part in changing weather patterns but
I'm convinced by my basic knowledge of historical weather pattens that this has happened many times before and people try to explain it in the way best suited to them. I imagine Ice Age medicine men could have done a booming business if they had the knowledge of any other way of existence.

Still we make our small individual gestures toward help and it would be good to see those at the top do at least as much.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:07 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,839,974 times
Elite leftists? You lost me at the end. What about Mar-a-Lago? You think that energy hog right on the waters edge is owned by a leftist?

Old 10-08-2022, 03:34 PM

596 posts, read 321,273 times
I don’t see the attraction of living with an ocean view without considering rising water levels. I know the coast where Ian hit use to be much less densely populated. And hear many of both parties and no party talking about not liking humidity so move west where humidity and water supply is already inadequate but seem to have no concern about that impact on earth. It’s like some or many think they are immune from following passed and put on us little people.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:47 PM

620 posts, read 346,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Elite leftists? You lost me at the end. What about Mar-a-Lago? You think that energy hog right on the waters edge is owned by a leftist?
Kind of missing the point. Bad Bad orange man is not preaching the gospel of climate change, shaming all the little people. Now let's talk about those that are preaching and not walking the walk: John Kerry, Al Gore, Obama, Bezos, Leonardo Decaprio, Taylor Swift, Prince Charles, Bill Gates, Kylie Jenner, Steven Spielberg, etc.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:45 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,236,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I don’t see the attraction of living with an ocean view without considering rising water levels. I know the coast where Ian hit use to be much less densely populated. And hear many of both parties and no party talking about not liking humidity so move west where humidity and water supply is already inadequate but seem to have no concern about that impact on earth. It’s like some or many think they are immune from following passed and put on us little people.
It isn’t even about rising water yet in Sanibel, etc.

Why not take over that destroyed by hurricane barrier’s islands by eminent domain and create beautiful natural parks, playgrounds, exercise areas, campgrounds, walking trails, bicycles paths, a low natural impact picnic areas with food trucks?

Then a lot more people and not only with deep pockets could enjoy the area and we don’t have to spend billions as a nation to do it all over and over again if hurricane hit.
No evacuation, no dangerous rescues, no roads and bridges rebuilding, no cars, housing damage - no insurance payouts, etc - not even talking about human sufferings - just what affects us all as taxpayers…

Saves money on power grid restoration, insurance, etc ..

It is time to make barrier islands what nature intended to do.
Yet, we are here again:”we will rebuild!” - as if it is some badge of honor - when in fact it is insanity, greed and pure stupidity.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:04 AM

1,508 posts, read 819,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Good points.

I'd like to see the U.S. government not blow up a pair of natural gas pipelines under the Baltic Sea and spew half a million tons of methane into the atmosphere.

War is bad for the environment. I'd like to see peace.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/04/11265...gas%20industry.
That was probably the Russians.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:12 AM

How about climate change preacher ...... Leonard DiCaprio’s yacht, The Vava II demands fuel worth $339,712 to fill its tank. Once loaded with 115,000 gallons of diesel, the yacht has a range of 5,700 miles. According to estimates, the Vava II generates a jaw-dropping amount of 238 kg carbon dioxide every mile. DiCaprio also frequently flies throughout the world on a private jet, owns multiple estates, limos, and drives expensive cars.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:12 PM

596 posts, read 321,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It isn’t even about rising water yet in Sanibel, etc.

Why not take over that destroyed by hurricane barrier’s islands by eminent domain and create beautiful natural parks, playgrounds, exercise areas, campgrounds, walking trails, bicycles paths, a low natural impact picnic areas with food trucks?

Then a lot more people and not only with deep pockets could enjoy the area and we don’t have to spend billions as a nation to do it all over and over again if hurricane hit.
No evacuation, no dangerous rescues, no roads and bridges rebuilding, no cars, housing damage - no insurance payouts, etc - not even talking about human sufferings - just what affects us all as taxpayers…

Saves money on power grid restoration, insurance, etc ..

It is time to make barrier islands what nature intended to do.
Yet, we are here again:”we will rebuild!” - as if it is some badge of honor - when in fact it is insanity, greed and pure stupidity.
Make no mistake about it storm surge is what damaged this area. We have experienced hurricanes this strong before so ignoring surge risks and building there is inexcusable. Not some new myeteriur farce level.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM

AND .....who can forget Al Gore predicting the North Pole would be ice-free by 2014, and starring in the environmental catastrophe film “An Inconvenient Truth,” all while racking up an electric bill 20 times the national average for his 20-room house and pool house?

AND....Climate change conference in Davos: How did all those “thought leaders” and super-serious people get there? According to The Guardian: “about 1,700 private flights in and out of Zurich and other airports.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living