Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 01:36 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,145,723 times

Advertisements

At least one scrapyard in my town buys pallets, $2 apiece before Covid, don’t know current price. They buy standard size “2 way” pallets that can be lifted from either direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 03:20 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I think pallets are good for at least a year? single-use seems silly/wasteful.

In the old days, you could pick up some free pallets and go down to the beach/lake front and have a bonfire. Good clean fun, drinking cans of warm beer and dancing by the firelight, under a full moon.

Nowdays, there's signs at the beach: NO PALLETS. All them nails add up (cause they dont burn) and some even fall out in the parking lot and sand when you drag the pallet. Barefoot children will be there the next morning.

People got so bad about burning pallets at a local lake that I had to drag the area with a magnet before I parked at my fishing spot.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:21 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I've stayed in apartments in Mexico where they have used them to make simple, modernistic furniture.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=furniture+...760604bb47.jpg

Old 12-17-2022, 04:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
gone are the days when we could have a bonfire
using free wooden pallets left for us because we
asked for them. saved them money since we
removed them for free.
yes, i am that old.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
In my area guys rent trucks and drive around to collect commercial paper and wood pallets put out for collection. Must be money in it otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Some businesses now leave paper and wood pallets firmly within their property line so peeps just can't take them saying it's "trash" put out on curb for collection.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffking View Post
Drive through any industrial park and you see multiple places offering "Free pallets", they are stacked up high and you can take as many as you like! A lot of people take them up on it, to break the pallets down and use them as firewood. Most of the free pallets don't appear to be damaged in any way.
I'm very surprised that there is no re-sale market for them.
Those are typically used more than once, and have started showing enough wear that to use them in their intended purpose would be dangerous to their product shipments. Pallet wood is poor quality, and though people do make things with them -- see Pinterest search pallets and the possibilities are numerous, but in truth the results will not last and you are apt to get more splinters than satisfaction.

If there was a resale value, they would not be given away.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:46 PM

426 posts, read 958,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

This. We have thousands of pallets at our training center burn building. Various businesses drop them off regularly, sometimes it gets to the point that we have to turn them away.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Those are typically used more than once, and have started showing enough wear that to use them in their intended purpose would be dangerous to their product shipments. Pallet wood is poor quality, and though people do make things with them -- see Pinterest search pallets and the possibilities are numerous, but in truth the results will not last and you are apt to get more splinters than satisfaction.

You would be correct if there were no fees for disposing of them. But in many places, there are such fees. Especially for pallets that have been treated with some kind of "cide". Hence, it's cheaper to give them away.

Old 12-18-2022, 11:32 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffking View Post
Drive through any industrial park and you see multiple places offering "Free pallets", they are stacked up high and you can take as many as you like! A lot of people take them up on it, to break the pallets down and use them as firewood. Most of the free pallets don't appear to be damaged in any way.
I'm very surprised that there is no re-sale market for them.
But there is. I'll give you $3 for each 40" X 48" 4-way pallet you can lay your hands on. I need thousands by August. (Not kidding, here.)

I know a few farmers that buy them on the open market.

They'll be used to transport produce thru out the United States, so they kinda need to be in decent shape with no hazardous substances on them.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:15 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
But there is. I'll give you $3 for each 40" X 48" 4-way pallet you can lay your hands on. I need thousands by August. (Not kidding, here.)

I know a few farmers that buy them on the open market.

They'll be used to transport produce thru out the United States, so they kinda need to be in decent shape with no hazardous substances on them.
So how will you make sure the ones you get aren't drenched in insecticides and rodenticides?

There's no food safety regulations about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living