Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:04 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times

Advertisements

Easily verified numbers-- US govt direct subsidies & tax incentives to Wind & Solar power production has totaled in the neighborhood of $100 Billion so far, and the BBB legislation and planned subisidies for EVs & related infrastructure will add $200 -500 Billion more (let's call it $250B).

Amazon Rainforest is being destroyed at a a clip of 10,000 ac /d-- ~350,000,000 ac a yr...Rainforest can be purchased for $100/ac...ie- We could spend a mere $35B a year to stop destruction of the rainforest and preserve it in perpetuity....

The rainforest is ~ 1.3B ac...@ $100/ac, the total cost would be $130B

We could have bought the whole place and still have $200B in our pockets to spend on savng maybe the Monarch breeding grounds in Mexico being rapidly destroyed to plant avocado trees, or maybe the gorilla habitat in The Congo being destroyed by mining for minerlas for EV batteries and solar cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 02:43 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,714,257 times
Something tells me neither Mexico, Congo, nor Brazil are going to allow the US government to purchase, fence off, and patrol land within their borders.

Most likely scenario is they take the money and go right on doing what they're doing. Making it economically beneficial is the only way to change human behavior. You could probably do that by bribing or otherwise paying the farmers who are encroaching on the habitats you mentioned, however, they think they are making money off those $100/acre + the cost of clearing and farming the land.

Brazilian farmers (well, the poor ones) make about $250/year/hectare which roughly translates into $100/year/acre. If we optimistically assume that they can be bribed to NOT farm former rainforest at that rate, then it is going to cost $35B/year, increasing geometrically (since you'll have to pay the farmers for the land they would have been farming, and then KEEP paying for that land, as well as the new land, and you'll blow through an entire $350B in 4 years.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:14 PM

My post was not intended to be a detailed proposal, but an example of how stupidly wasteful and misguided our "Environmentalist"policies are.

As far as buying land in other countries, the Nature Conservancy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nature_Conservancy is doing a fair amount of it now. But you're right-- it's unlikely that a foreign country would allow the US govt to do it. (That's OK with me...I don't want the US govt to do anything but protect our borders from invaders, establish a Post Office, post roads over which to carry the mail and to make regular inter-state trade-- the limited duties enumerated in The Constitution.)

Poverty is a major driving factor in destroying habitat...AND, richer countries are more able to devote "excess" money and attention to protecting the environement--> Yet another reason to abandon this insane Net Zero fantasy that will magnify poverty and detract from standard of living.

About 50 y/a, as I recall, a shooting war broke out between Guatemala and Honduras (ostensibly over a disputed decision in a soccer game). The US spent X hundred million dollars on that war. It computed out that we could have just given every man, woman and child in both countries $50,000 (a fortune to them) not to fight...and if we had included a bus ticket to Las Vegas in the deal, they would have all come here and we would have won the money back at the gaming tables. Net cost for peace-- zero.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:22 PM

1,063 posts, read 916,807 times
same old thing:

PAY people to stop or go.

could you pay anyone to do anything
AND verify the result BEFORE you paid?

remember...ANYTHING.....
everything is not just about money.

mental illness, provocation, etc.
yes, pay as you will, but the recipients
might forgo the payout for accomplishment.

Last edited by king john IV; 01-31-2023 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 03:33 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,754,667 times
Will be waiting for GM’s EV offerings to have a few years under their belt. The convenience and price point might make it well worth it.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:54 AM

Price?....Consider this https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium and bound to get worse as supply won't keep up with demand.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Funny how Tesla and Ford dropped prices, eh?

Oh and this is really a great breakthrough- https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/03/...es-65-million/

New prototype battery that powered a Tesla for 750 miles on a single charge.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Price?....Consider this https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium and bound to get worse as supply won't keep up with demand.
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/tradingeconomics.com

Quote:
SCAM.
SCAM.
I was on the website and it prompted me to sign up to download the data. It says "Trial Week" and I thought the Trial Week was free. Before I knew it, I am paying $49 for something that I do not have much use for.
In addition, naming the one-week access as a "Trial Week" is already misleading as it is because trials are usually free.
Honestly seeing how most people reviewed that they feel scammed shows the integrity of the website. Trading Economics misrepresents vital information in order to profit, which is a really disgusting move.
Stay away from this website.
Date of experience: April 12, 2021
Your sources have been specious, by the way. DuckDuckGo and now this? Please.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-12-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Thanks for conceding the argument. When you have to resort to objecting to sources, you've lost....I posted the first site that came up for Li commodity prices....Feel free to check any others. They're all the same, just reporting what the trading exchanges are doing- a matter of public record.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Thanks for conceding the argument. When you have to resort to objecting to sources, you've lost....I posted the first site that came up for Li commodity prices....Feel free to check any others. They're all the same, just reporting what the trading exchanges are doing- a matter of public record.
It’s not an argument. Your sources are crap. Just like your arguments against Ego lithium batteries in another forum. Junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living