Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 06:37 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
When I see "perfect" fescue lawns, all I see are chemicals bc that's what it takes to have that kind of grass where we live, mid-Atlantic East Coast.

The natural ground cover here is clover and wild Beruda. They both make a perfectly acceptable lawn but they do turn brownish in winter. Some people don't like that and want a green lawn all year round.

Our lawn is gorgeous when cut but it's basically a mixture of weeds: buttercups (we don't mow till after blooming, makes a beautiful buttercup meadow and a great excuse not to cut grass!), wild violet, wild strawberry, crab grass, wild Bermuda, white clover, purslane, Lambsquarters, chickweed, Quackgrass, Nutsedge and probably about a dozen other "noxious weeds" as they're labeled by lawn care experts.

The lawn is thick and springy and tough as nails, not to mention no chemicals go on it at all. We suppliment with Espoma Plant Tone once or twice a year, organic fertilizer. Rather than a chemical desert our lawn is a feast for birds, bees, butterflies, wild rabbits, deer, possums and their babies. It's beautiful, I love the variety of growing things instead of the uniformity of fescue which is not a natural grass in this area, summers are too hot and dry and winters are too wet. Fescue lawns need constant chemical baths and watering throughout the summer. They do stay green in the winter though.

I wouldn't want to ban that type of lawn, that's not the way to go but I would like to see an information campaign to persuade people to rethink the perfect lawn of grass that needs watering and chemicals to maintain. And instead raise a lawn of food for wild life.
Yeah, that's why I keep a fescue lawn to look beautiful. Akin to playing at the Masters. Must admit I don't water it at all. I let nature's course take care of it. Even right now with this dry spell in the Poconos, I just let it brown up. I have enough rabbits, bees, wasps, butterflies, deer, etc. without having all those weeds in my lawn. I see one broad leaf, I grab the Ortho bottle and go nuts. I enjoy watching the squirrels and birds chase each other around my nice manicured lawn. With that said. Stay off my lawn, buddy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 07:01 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Yes. I hear people spending $3,000 on sod every couple of years and I think that's crazy. I'd like to get a house with no lawn at all and maybe just all asphalt or concrete all around the property (not very green of me either) but that wouldn't fly in most residential neighborhoods.
It would also give you huge drainage problems.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:04 AM

Having the right lawn for your climate is key. We live in the south and have a nice thick carpet of centipede grass. I can count on one hand, the years we have had to water it. It doesn’t need a lot of fertilizer either.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:32 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Because I want to. Thank you very much. I like my lawn to look like a baseball field, golf course. I take pride in ridding all crabgrass and dandelions from my lawn. What do you care? It's my money and energy. You just stay off my lawn buddy!
This^^^ Do what makes you happy, it's a small price to have a passion like this. Similar to guys and their classic cars or whatever..

A more important question would be why people care about what other people do with their own time and money......

Old 06-08-2023, 09:51 AM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
If you do sod and you take care of it,

Watering is important, especially when temp rises.

Fertilizer and pre-emergent in early spring, fungicide in early July Scotts disease ex, then fertilize
again in fall.

Keep lawn mowed but not too short, control and remove any weeds.

You can keep that sod for year after year.
My brother has to spend that much on sod every so many years because the city has very large trees on the sidewalk area that he is not allowed to cut down. The city owns those trees while my brother owns the lawn. Those large trees kill the grass apparently because sunlight cannot get through. Not only that, those large trees can rain sap all over a beautiful, freshly-waxed vehicle, and nobody wants that.

Imagine for a moment if you didn't have to use fertilizer to fake the growth of anything, or fungicide to fake prevent the deterioration of natural greenery, or pesticides to kill all those bugs that are attracted to the greenery. Imagine the peace of mind and reduction in maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It would also give you huge drainage problems.
Quarter acre lots in congested cities may have tiny lawns, which is kind of a nothingburger. But say you had 3 to 10 acres and all of it was concrete or asphalt. I would probably go with asphalt despite its less desirable aesthetics because it won't crack as easily as concrete. You could put in a grate and drainage system and parts of it would be built with the necessary run-off angles for water drainage. So now you have 3 to 10 acres of usable, drivable, open space, and a lot less annoying bugs or a yard that just sits there and rarely gets used. With this type of setup, you will get the errant ant or spider crawling around in their ever ubiquity, but overall there would be a reduction in the need to kill bugs, and that's a win for the world, and perhaps the soul. If one wanted to be bothered more by bugs, then they could walk to the surrounding woods on the perimeter or admire their next door neighbor's pristine lawn.

Last edited by Free-R; 06-08-2023 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-08-2023, 04:52 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
My brother has to spend that much on sod every so many years because the city has very large trees on the sidewalk area that he is not allowed to cut down. The city owns those trees while my brother owns the lawn. Those large trees kill the grass apparently because sunlight cannot get through. Not only that, those large trees can rain sap all over a beautiful, freshly-waxed vehicle, and nobody wants that.

Imagine for a moment if you didn't have to use fertilizer to fake the growth of anything, or fungicide to fake prevent the deterioration of natural greenery, or pesticides to kill all those bugs that are attracted to the greenery. Imagine the peace of mind and reduction in maintenance.

Quarter acre lots in congested cities may have tiny lawns, which is kind of a nothingburger. But say you had 3 to 10 acres and all of it was concrete or asphalt. I would probably go with asphalt despite its less desirable aesthetics because it won't crack as easily as concrete. You could put in a grate and drainage system and parts of it would be built with the necessary run-off angles for water drainage. So now you have 3 to 10 acres of usable, drivable, open space, and a lot less annoying bugs or a yard that just sits there and rarely gets used. With this type of setup, you will get the errant ant or spider crawling around in their ever ubiquity, but overall there would be a reduction in the need to kill bugs, and that's a win for the world, and perhaps the soul. If one wanted to be bothered more by bugs, then they could walk to the surrounding woods on the perimeter or admire their next door neighbor's pristine lawn.
Imagine a world without those pesky bugs and you’re imagining a world with no plants or animals. We need them to help with the ecosystem/pollination. There’s no “win” in having no bugs. For example, I have a single apple tree. It doesn’t always get many apples because the second tree was apparently cut down before I moved in and the pollinators have to come from afar to pollinate it. So it really doesn’t do me any good if the yards around me are concreted. Thankfully there is a lot of undeveloped prairie lots in my neighborhood and the wildlife is free to roam there.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:28 PM

We enjoy our lawn, and dh enjoys keeping it at its best. Sorry if it offends….well, not really. Couldn’t care less if it offends.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:17 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My fescue in the backyard is nearly 16 years old and looks great. I do nothing but water it and pay someone to mow it for me. The same kind of lawn in the front is still decent, but it's closer to 25 years old and has seen some stuff, and some things. Dead patches eventually came back after sprinking seeds. Brown spots get taken over by green stuff. It's not all fescue grass at this point but kept green and mowed it still looks nice. The lawns help keep the area cooler so being outside on hot summer nights is pleasant, and every other time of year it's pretty to look at. Critters and birds and bugs all enjoy it too.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:32 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
While the government keeps trying to limit choices due to environmental issues. They completely ignore some of the most high carbon footprint activity are the backyard lawns and endless golf courses that are being maintained daily.

What's the net carbon footprint when you see armies of trucks with their dollies with lawn equipment that all pollute because they use gas and have no catalytic converters to slow nitrous oxide pollution.

This is all unnecessary if government mandates "greener" policies with lawn maintenance.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:46 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We saw a man once who had an Astroturf lawn and he was vacuum cleaning it.

I bought a condo in 1987, gave away the lawn mower and have not missed it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living