Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 11:35 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

I don't throw wet stuff in most of my trash cans, so only use plastic liners in the kitchen. Newspaper goes at the bottom of the bathroom trash cans.
Grocery bags aren't waterproof, so not much use in wet situations.

I have loads of cloth bags, and almost always remember to bring them in to the store.
I store the few plastic bags that accumulate in a fabric tube that lets me pull them out one at a time.

The stores around here take any "flexible plastic" for recycling, which includes veggie bags, bubble wrap, any kind of plastic wrap from packaging. I keep a basket (lined with a grocery bag) on the dryer to collect all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 01:30 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
I save my wood pellet bags and use them.

Note to self- don’t buy pellets with bags that have tiny perforations for air. That was not fun.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:47 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
The only household trashcan I put a liner in is the kitchen. All wet sloppy trash goes there. I also divert as much as possible and decompose organics. It helps to let some food scraps dry out before burying them in plastic. I use liners produced with the highest percentage of post consumer content I can find and pack them full to reduce the number of bags ending up in the waste stream. Sure there are times the kitchen's trash gets a bit stinky but in the grander scheme of things that's a very temporary annoyance.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:58 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
In NY plastic bags at stores are illegal.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:57 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.

We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.

Growing up, my mom used paper grocery bags for trash can liners. But those have their own problems, obviously. I think way back in the metal garbage can times, no one used plastic liners but just put the garbage directly in the can. That was yucky. Not nice for the poor garbage-men either.

What do you think?
Plastic grocery bags are perfect for lining trash cans, collecting used kitty litter, and protecting cars from muddy shoes and boots. I used to bring my lunch to work in one every day and still use them as a sort of "purse" to gather what I'll need for the day as I leave the house. They compress nicely, so I keep two in a discarded pharmacy pill bottle in my glove compartment for emergency use, such as an unplanned stop at Aldi's. I hate to see them go and am also hoarding them. If you want to ban something plastic, please ban the single-use water bottles that pollute the planet or those stupid memorial mylar balloon releases that kill wildlife!

Last edited by otterhere; 05-07-2023 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 04:09 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Being a garbage man is a great job-- $25/hr...and all you can eat!

Even if you ask for paper bags at the PigglyWiggly for groceries, Walmart etc etc don't have them, so you wind up buried in plastic bags anyways..and as I've pointed out here so many times- plastic is made from a petroleum waste product, so no real loss, and actually some benefit in the Re-use Re-purpose Re-cycle sense to using plastic bags.

Many re- use, re-purpose jobs for plastic bags from garbage liners to organizers in shop, garage, laundry room, etc....

We have a non-chain, local grocery store here that accepts plastic shopping bags for recycling, but I'm not sure they actually do recycle them. Does anybody here know?
Again, naphtha is not a waste product of the refining process. It is a byproduct. In some parts of the world it is used for making plastics, in others, like the US, plastics are primarily made from natural gas.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:20 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
I recycle all bags.....produce bags for garbage, coffee grounds, Walmart bags are great for bathroom trash cans, paper bags for kitchen cans as well....and bread bags are great for garbage to.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:12 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Since the grocery stores stopped using plastic bags, I buy plastic bags for all my garbage cans. I use the paper bags with handles from Whole Foods for my recyclables. Makes it easy to carry out to blue bins.

So, no positive environment impact; just more expensive for consumers.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:01 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
We just use small trash cans and use plastic grocery bags in them. We throw away way less than we buy so we never run out. Many times we double them up if there are holes in one of them. The holy ones are almost always the cheap Walmart ones. Remember years ago when they had the best bags? Like all their products they start out good and get worse over time as they nickel and dime the manufactures for lower prices.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:07 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.

We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.

Growing up, my mom used paper grocery bags for trash can liners. But those have their own problems, obviously. I think way back in the metal garbage can times, no one used plastic liners but just put the garbage directly in the can. That was yucky. Not nice for the poor garbage-men either.

What do you think?
Plastic grocery bags are too small for our inside under-island trash can, so we buy the small liners that fit. We use the plastic grocery bags for changing the cat's litter box.

And yes, I remember when garbage cans were metal. Like you said - all garbage went in them loose. I'm not even sure they made plastic garbage bags back then. The can didn't last long because the garbage man would have to bang it on the truck to get everything out. Now, we have the big roll-out plastic carts and we bag our garbage. We also have a similar-sized recycle bin but they want everything loose, not bagged. Both get picked up remotely, and sometimes slammed down on the pavement not so gently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living