Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 01:23 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't throw wet stuff in most of my trash cans, so only use plastic liners in the kitchen.

This right here. I don't have liners in my bathroom cans. What are you people throwing away that requires liners? Maybe I don't want to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 01:30 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This right here. I don't have liners in my bathroom cans. What are you people throwing away that requires liners? Maybe I don't want to know?
Food scraps, wet paper towels, paper towels that wiped grease out of pots and pans. We try to minimize use of our garbage disposer in the kitchen sink, and just toss the larger pieces in the trash can.

In the bathroom, my wife prefers to use paper towels, so we have a decent amount of wet ones.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:44 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Food scraps, wet paper towels, paper towels that wiped grease out of pots and pans. We try to minimize use of our garbage disposer in the kitchen sink, and just toss the larger pieces in the trash can.

In the bathroom, my wife prefers to use paper towels, so we have a decent amount of wet ones.
A roll of "official" paper towels lasts for months around this house. There's always a stack of leftover paper takeout napkins in a basket on the kitchen counter. I'd much rather use pot scrubbers, sponges, or simple cotton cloths for cleanups. They're easily washed, sanitized, and reused over and over again. Food scraps go in the compost bucket or kitchen trash. This house is on septic. I was surprised to see a garbage disposal but suspect the builders simply didn't understand why septics and disposals don't play well together. The only reason I turn the disposal on is to keep the drain non-stinky in summer with a leftover lemon wedge.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:45 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
regarding plastic bags...
quote:

So paper bags have this one really great thing for them, which is they are biodegradable.
They will eventually break down. But you have to use way more energy to create them.
So we have a major uptick of trash bag sales, and then we have a major uptick of paper bag use.
That's why Taylor says banning plastic shopping bags ends up increasing greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/23/72603...-be-a-bad-move

Old 05-08-2023, 04:02 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Yeah, banning store plastic bags obviously led to increased sales of plastic bags.
It would be less of a problem if those bags were biodegradable. But most of them aren't.

They banned plastic bags in EU, BUT started producing eco-friendly substitutes.

Banning stuff without giving solution and substitutes is futile.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:09 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, banning store plastic bags obviously led to increased sales of plastic bags.
It would be less if a problem if those bags were biodegradable. But most of them aren't.

They banned plastic bags in EU, BUT started producing eco-friendly substitutes.

Banning stuff without giving solution and substitutes is futile.
The City of Houston requires that we use compostable bags for yard waste like grass clippings and leaves. They cost nearly a dollar each and melt in the rain or if the clippings are damp. I am not a fan of degradable bags for that use case.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:43 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We can still get plastic bags from stores in our state and yes, we reuse them in the small trash cans and for other things. I don't mind that they are super thin and might get holes.

What kills me is when I'm out of state and forget that they don't have free bags. I'll pay for a plastic bag and it's 10 times as thick as the ones we get here for free. How is that more green? Won't it take longer to decompose?

We really reuse every bag, no matter what type. I can't think of the last time we actually threw away any bag without using it a second time for something else.
The assumption, or hoped for solution, since you paid the $0.10 tax on the bag, is that you will reuse it like you do with your own bag. Being plastic a customer has an easier time just looking at a bag and hoping it is still clean enough to place your food in when they won't with a canvas bag.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:30 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
FWIW some shoppers bring in canvas bags to stores and insist on bagging their own groceries as they will be toting them a ways- they're happier that way.

& For people that shop for large households, they usually bring in an insulated bag to keep frozen items frozen.

At a point the hullaboo about grocery bags will be quaint....thankfully.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:35 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
FWIW some shoppers bring in canvas bags to stores and insist on bagging their own groceries as they will be toting them a ways- they're happier that way.

& For people that shop for large households, they usually bring in an insulated bag to keep frozen items frozen.

At a point the hullaboo about grocery bags will be quaint....thankfully.
Only after a generation that was forced by political pressure by the majority to bring their own bags with stores forbidden to offer the perk of bags has come around. Assuming there is not a reemergence of libertarian spirit.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:39 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Only after a generation that was forced by political pressure by the majority to bring their own bags with stores forbidden to offer the perk of bags has come around. Assuming there is not a reemergence of libertarian spirit.

I mentioned all that since I lived in a walk-up apartment- it's easier to pack/load your items in a way to facilitate getting them up and down stairs. Some people take joy in organizing their items- it's the same concept as enjoying the video game Tetris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living