Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 06:44 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
This...hands get dry and cracked some this way though when doing it "by hand"
That’s why we wear gloves for dishwashing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I consider the dishwasher, properly loaded to be far more frugal and green than washing by hand. Our Bosch uses about 3 gallons to do a whole load, which can be the dishes, silverware, bowls and other items for as long as a week. The electricity use if hot air-drying is about 190 kWh/year, or 16/month, at our rates that's about $1.76/month. When doing a pot or pan by hand, most people leave the water running while washing or fill the sink, then rinse, and that one item alone can use more than 3 gallons. Then you dry with a dishtowel that has to be washed every few days.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:25 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I consider the dishwasher, properly loaded to be far more frugal and green than washing by hand. Our Bosch uses about 3 gallons to do a whole load, which can be the dishes, silverware, bowls and other items for as long as a week. The electricity use if hot air-drying is about 190 kWh/year, or 16/month, at our rates that's about $1.76/month. When doing a pot or pan by hand, most people leave the water running while washing or fill the sink, then rinse, and that one item alone can use more than 3 gallons. Then you dry with a dishtowel that has to be washed every few days.
Well, if "most" people leave the water running while they're washing dishes, then "most" people are doing it stupidly.

I'd say filling both sides of my sink (left with soapy water, right with rinse) probably is about 3-4 gallons. So roughly comparable. In both cases the maximum efficiency is going to be achieved by doing big loads, as you note.

There's also your personal time, which is far less when using a dishwasher.

I'm all in on the dishwasher, make no mistake, but not really for efficiency - as noted, I expect the difference there isn't that great. But I have a lot of things I need to be doing more than spending time standing at a sink.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:21 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Why is it necessary to use a sponge to wash dishes? They are known to harbor bacteria as they are so absorbent and take forever to dry. Dish cloths clean easier and dry easier. A dish cloth with a scrub net on one side works or just use a scrubber net alone. Not the thick puckered ones, but the flat ones you can fold and then unfold and they dry in about ten minutes. My mom used to get sheets of those and we'd cut them up to the size we needed.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:58 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
two folks in my homestead-
I use the scrub daddy and lather up all the dishes- Then do a pitcher of HOT steamy water . Viola! Washed- rinsed and then onto the dryer sink deck. THe pans though get a bit of soaking no matter whether its the dishwasher or the sink method.

I detest my dishwasher as its very LOUD and I still have to wipe it down inside and clean it once a month . That clog filter I reckon does its job and then I have to get it out and rinse it anyways.

If you are a Hyper attuned germ fighter - then do as we do in the food service industry- One tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water in the rinse sink. Let them sit/soak for five minutes and then air dry. Learned it when our inspector stopped in and advised to get a disinfectant agent.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:03 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
No need for sponges. A cloth works fine. A fresh one every day.

I tried the Swedish dish cloth. It's like a cross between a sponge and a cloth. It says it can be washed in the clothes washer, but don't put in the dryer. It can be put in the dishwasher to wash with the dishes, or it can be heated in the microwave to kill bacteria. Some of you sponge users might really like it.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:07 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Rinsing by just using a sink of water must leave soap residue on the dishes and utensils which we end up ingesting.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Rinsing by just using a sink of water must leave soap residue on the dishes and utensils which we end up ingesting.
So what?

When the rinse water gets cloudy you drain it.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:11 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I've eaten worse things.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've eaten worse things.
Yeah, really.

If you have ever eaten in a restaurant or institutional kitchen (school, hospital, military, etc.) you have eaten food, and used utensils, that were walked on by cockroaches, ants, and/or mice. That's the way it is. I'd not get too torqued up about a trivial amount of soap residue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living