Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:58 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

A visit to a younger relative made me realize some people don’t know how to wash dishes by hand. Not every home or apartment have a dishwasher so hand washing is a requirement. But there are ways to do so efficiently. First off, there’s no reason to completely fill the sink with hot soapy water. Depending on the size of the sink, half full should be enough. For pots and pans, pour a few drops of dish soap and fill with hot water to cover food residue to pre soak. Don’t fill the sink with all your dishes. Divide your dishes by type. The first three types can be done in any order but wash them separately. I tend to start with silverware (not including sharp knives) followed by drinking containers and dinnerware (plates and bowls). I rinse the soapy residue with cold water turning off the water after each use. Once these are done I dry and put away the cleaned dishes and move onto the cooking utensils and sharp knives. DO NOT PUT SHARP KNIVES IN SINK! Place each sharp knife in sink to wash one at a time. This is a safety issue. Putting a bunch of sharp knives in the sink increases the chance of accidental cuts. Once cooking utensils are done then do the pots and pans.

By filling the sink to roughly half way and running cold water as needed to rinse off soap you are reducing the amount of water used as well as reducing the electricity or gas used for hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 10:00 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
I have a dishwasher but have never used it. I live alone and don't use, or even own, enough dishes to fill it up and make using it worthwhile. I'm sure they're a godsend if you have lots of kids or a bigger family.

I've never hand washed by filling up a sink with soapy water to let things soak, but rather just wash items one at a time with a soapy sponge, rinse off, place in dish rack or on a towel. I have no order of things to be washed. I let everything air dry. I would LOVE to have a foot pedal operated kitchen sink, like we had in the school bathrooms back in the day (big communal type sink). Do they even make those anymore?

Old 08-19-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I have a dishwasher but have never used it. I live alone and don't use, or even own, enough dishes to fill it up and make using it worthwhile. I'm sure they're a godsend if you have lots of kids or a bigger family.

I've never hand washed by filling up a sink with soapy water to let things soak, but rather just wash items one at a time with a soapy sponge, rinse off, place in dish rack or on a towel. I have no order of things to be washed. I let everything air dry. I would LOVE to have a foot pedal operated kitchen sink, like we had in the school bathrooms back in the day (big communal type sink). Do they even make those anymore?
In my home is me, my wife, and our chihuahua. We wash the dog bowl after feeding to help reduce chance of ants. Wife will sometimes wash how you said but not with certain loads.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Same here. My house sits over a 1100 gal water cistern so I am definitely water conscious. The water is delivered on call from a local runoff/snowmelt source. Just a little personal challenge to keep the fills at their minimum delivery level. Luckily, the water is good tasting, low mineral content, minimally treated, and ice cold year round due to the cold soils. No well or connection to municipal water. I know I should probably run the dishwasher periodically just to keep its innards mobile, but normally it's just a handy spot to store large pots. I have a divided sink so put a bit of water/soap in dirty dishes and let them soak until I run out of something I need. No fancy washing routine other than dirtiest dishes get washed last. Seems like common sense to me. Despite that, can't say I've ever filled a sink full of water. Dare ya to prove I use more water washing dishes this way than running the dishwasher. As for the safety PSA about sharp utensils, just not necessary. I've been washing my own dishes for almost 50 years and haven't cut myself yet!

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-19-2023 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-19-2023, 01:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
FWIW, hand washing dishes uses substantially more water than dishwashers.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
I lived off-grid at one point and had to haul water. Was obviously very conscious of water usage! When it was time to wash dishes I would heat some water on the stove, then fill up two wash tubs - one hot & soapy, one cold for rinsing. Probably used 2-3 gallons for that process.

A quick Google search reveals that modern dishwashers use 3-4 gallons per load, which isn't bad if the racks are filled up. But then you have to figure in the energy used to heat the water and power the motor. The few times in life when I've used a dishwasher they seem to take sooo looong.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
FWIW, hand washing dishes uses substantially more water than dishwashers.
Ok if your home or apartment already has one.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:40 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:

That's how we do it. I just run a small stream of warm water over each dish---I don't fill up the sink. Nobody has dishwashers down here, and we just don't need it for 2 of us. I used to hate unloading the dishwasher back when we had one. Nobody has garbage disposals either.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:59 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I'm single and use my dishwasher every other day. When I stayed with my "male friend" for a few months, he didn't use his dishwasher so it was hand-wash time. He'd fill the sink partly with hot soapy water. I don't remember if he pre-rinsed, but regardless, as soon as he put the dirty dishes in the water, the water would then become greasy or dirty. I could not see the point in washing the dishes in dirty water. He'd then rinse and mostly let them dry on the rack.

When I did the dishes, I wouldn't fill the sink at all. I'd just keep a stream of hot water running while I washed each dish with soap. I'd then usually set them back in the sink and rinse them all together. Maybe it uses more water but to me it was more sanitary.

I have a friend who keeps a sink full of hot soapy water, so every used dish/utensil gets washed immediately. However, you know that water isn't going to stay hot for very long, so again, unsanitary.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:54 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:

That's the way I wash my dishes. Single household. Don't want dishwasher. Never had any, although I cook all my meals from scratch.
I put my dirty dishes in the sink and shortly fill with water to soak. Put all my silverware into an used drinking cup filled with water. Fill my cooking pots with 2-3" of hot water plus few drops of dish soap. If there are bigger utensils, I will put them into those cooking pots to soak. Later on, but the same day, I just quickly wash all my already soaked dishes with a soapy sponge and rinse with hot water. Starting with cleanest stuff, ending with pots and pans. Move each clean piece to dish rack and air dry. Dishes washed with warm water dry pretty quick.
My water usage is monitored by Flume.
I use about half the water I pay for my monthly usage - there is a minimum of 1499 gal to pay, my median usage is about 750 gal/monthly and includes watering few plants. I could use more water since I pay for twice amount, but that would be wasteful.

Re: foot pedal operated kitchen faucets - yes, they still make them.
https://metaefficient.com/uncategori...ntrollers.html

I never saw them before so here is my question: are there two pedals for cold and hot water, how water get mixed for a right temperature?

Last edited by elnina; 08-19-2023 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living