Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 05:30 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,385,947 times

Advertisements

I would love to have a clothes line in my back yard. Easy to build like at two other places I had. 2 4x4s, 2 2x4s and some rope and you're all set. My problem now is a huge walnut tree in the back yard, dripping sap all over everything.

As far as the folding wooden rack newengland mentioned above, I grew up with my mother, in the winter when she couldn't use the clothes line, would put the wooden rack over the floor furnace and load it with clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 05:33 PM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Never had a dryer and have no desire to own one.
All my clothes are air dried, on my covered patio. No matter what weather - they will be dry. And I have plenty of everything, so it can dry slowly - don't need anything the same day, ever.
I don't have dryer in my house overseas, either. It's not a thing people actually want to buy.
Yes, I do have washers...hahaha!

Old 08-28-2023, 11:56 AM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I live in a condo and only use the dryer for towels, sheets, underwear, etc. Everyone else is hung on a drying rack that I keep in my guest bedroom.
Just to note, I am trying some of these ideas, like having my drying rack in the dance room when I am not at home.

Old 08-28-2023, 03:24 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,527,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Never had a dryer and have no desire to own one.
All my clothes are air dried, on my covered patio. No matter what weather - they will be dry. And I have plenty of everything, so it can dry slowly - don't need anything the same day, ever.
I don't have dryer in my house overseas, either. It's not a thing people actually want to buy.
Yes, I do have washers...hahaha!
Yes, in places we stayed in Europe, never a dryer, but always a small front-loading washer, usually in the kitchen or bath. Nobody has dryers here except the gringos. We do, because it's too humid and we don't have space for drying sheets and towels. We air-dry all our clothes though. I'm afraid of shrinkage, lol.

Can't put drying stuff on balcony railings either, but we could put a rack there if needed. I remember being so amazed that there were the over-the-street drying lines in Italy. I thought that was just in the movies, like the cute outdoor cafes. It's real, lol.

When we lived off-the-grid in Montana, I put frozen laundry (hand-washed in a galvanized tub with one of those triangular push-things) on the horse corral railing or across barbed-wire. It dried frozen, lol.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:50 PM

1,730 posts, read 774,559 times
Has anyone here seen the movie Girl With A Pearl Earring? This thread reminds me of a scene where the house servant is toiling over the household laundry, first burning and blistering her hands during the wash, then having to pull clothing and linens frozen stiff off the outside line during winter. Modern laundry is definitely one thing I do not take for granted!

A fond memory of my trip to Belize was at the first hotel I stayed, where the next morning the cleaning ladies were out on a balcony hanging up sheets and towels to dry outside on a pulley line that stretched over the courtyard. The billowing sheets flapping in the breeze above all the palm trees, it was just a homey experience that stuck with me for some reason.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:32 AM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Most houses have attic. I wonder why attics weren't used to dry clothes. That's where lots of people dry clothes overseas, even in community houses they have their assigned space (you get a cellar and attic space with your flat) to dry clothes.
The attics, of course, are super clean and not full of junk people never use.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:47 AM

9,184 posts, read 4,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
With the dryer still not heating (little time to search out a repair, the DIY motivation not to call out and pay Captain Maytag), I have a pretty neat arrangement. A porch on a secluded ranch where I can put up the temporary clothes rack and let this wonderful Texas Heat do the job.

Clothes line wise, I have it made!....Well, maybe not made but a decently workable situation.

BUT, how would other people do it without such an arrangement, like city slickers?
I have a clothesline strung between two maple trees in the backyard. Rustic, yes, and I love it.
In the winter, I use the drying rack down near the wood stove. I don't, however, dry towels or bedding that way - for them, I use the dryer.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:12 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
I always hang my sheets outside to dry. Same with many other clothes as well. I generally only use the dryer for things like towels. If I dry any clothes in the dryer, I take them out and hang them up before they are dry.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:55 PM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
You have a dance room?
Photos, please?
Hmmmm, pictures? No, violation of internal security. To matters of design, it is the room of the house I have dedicated to be the dance room, complete with my ballet barre......which sometimes serves for dry clothes to be draped over as they are switched off the drying rack. As such, it is the most least cluttered by unpacked stuff and as such, has room for the drying rack to be in. It is a room that I don't want the cats to trash, so the door stays closed and once again, that's good for the drying rack. Right now on the drying rack, it is a fart sack and a fitted sheet and I am sure the cats would have a ball with that.

[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 09-04-2023 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-29-2023, 02:23 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,068,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmm, pictures? No, violation of internal security. To matters of design, it is the room of the house I have dedicated to be the dance room, complete with my ballet barre......which sometimes serves for dry clothes to be draped over as they are switched off the drying rack. As such, it is the most least cluttered by unpacked stuff and as such, has room for the drying rack to be in. It is a room that I don't want the cats to trash, so the door stays closed and once again, that's good for the drying rack. Right now on the drying rack, it is a fart sack and a fitted sheet and I am sure the cats would have a ball with that.

[Mod cut: off topic]
Thank you for the description, but no pics?Teaser -

Last edited by elnina; 09-04-2023 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living