Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 04:51 PM

23,450 posts, read 13,685,723 times

Advertisements

With the dryer still not heating (little time to search out a repair, the DIY motivation not to call out and pay Captain Maytag), I have a pretty neat arrangement. A porch on a secluded ranch where I can put up the temporary clothes rack and let this wonderful Texas Heat do the job.

Clothes line wise, I have it made!....Well, maybe not made but a decently workable situation.

BUT, how would other people do it without such an arrangement, like city slickers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 05:09 PM

22,880 posts, read 18,160,783 times
There are endless ways to hang dry wet clothing: suspend racks from ceilings and operate them by pulleys, hang over bathtubs or in shower stalls, set up racks or clotheslines in garages or carports, you name it.

Creativity is the mother of invention.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 2,519,592 times
My solar dryer is the umbrella type and is in use as this as being typed. It holds about four large loads of laundry including towels and bedding. On a good drying day like today (light breeze, partly sunny, moderate humidity), it takes about four hours for everything to be fully dried. In the wintertime or during icky weather, I use a combination of the basement lines and the electric dryer. It can handle a good, stiff breeze. On windy, sunny days, clothing dries really quickly--fast enough that if it's a big laundry day, I can hang dry six loads of laundry in short order.

I live in a somewhat urban inner ring suburb with close neighbors, FWIW. The umbrella is lowered and covered when it's not in use and and removed from its ground socket and stored away once the first snows fly. The socket came with a plug, so it stays clean and open when the umbrella part as been removed for the season.

The company that makes my style of dryer makes them in three sizes (5', 9', and 14' diameters). Mine is the 9' size. They're a bit spendy, but quite sturdy and all parts are easily replaced, so they're a good value for the money.

Most people where I grew up simply ran cotton clothesline between trees, posts, and/or house--much as I still do when I'm camping. Simple, inexpensive, effective.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 08-20-2023 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-20-2023, 10:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,617,751 times
I travel full time in a van. Often, in the summer, I don't bother putting my freshly laundered clothes in the dryer. Instead, I take the wet clothes to wherever I'm staying, and drape my clothes over whatever is handy, including trees and bushes and my folding chair. My clothes smell so wonderful when they're dry!

Old 08-21-2023, 01:31 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,419,044 times
So many choices. In Sydney where we live all the homes which cost several million dollars have clothes lines and use them.

https://www.lifestyleclotheslines.co...iAAEgKmD_D_BwE

Old 08-21-2023, 05:00 AM

17,473 posts, read 17,309,875 times
There are indoor umbrella stand type clothes racks. They work very well especially if your home has central air system. They offer some privacy if you don’t want your underwear’s or expensive clothing hanging out for the neighbors or thieves to see.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:18 PM

19,414 posts, read 22,337,580 times
No problems here. Even in subzero temps I can find a way to dry my clothes. Just give me a sunny spot and a bush..

Old 08-21-2023, 10:46 PM

6,852 posts, read 4,331,289 times
I live in a condo and only use the dryer for towels, sheets, underwear, etc. Everyone else is hung on a drying rack that I keep in my guest bedroom.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 789,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I live in a condo and only use the dryer for towels, sheets, underwear, etc. Everyone else is hung on a drying rack that I keep in my guest bedroom.
Same here (apartment dweller, no yard). I have a collapsible rack big enough to hold about one washload of clothes. Whatever doesn't fit goes in the dryer, though I hate using it. It is nice for towels, they come out softer. Air is free and less destructive, but takes longer.

I like the outdoor umbrella racks, good for saving space. I lived in a rental once without a washing machine and I'd go wash everything at a laundromat and then bring it home wet to hang on a line I rigged across the patio.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:52 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
Another apartment person here. It says in our lease that we are not allowed to dry our clothes outside (or on a clothesline or something like that. Guess I need to read the lease again LOL).

BUT I have a folding wooden rack in my bedroom and that's where I dry my nice vintage 100% cotton percale sheets and pillowcases. Also anything else that I value. On the balcony I have a tiny metal folding rack (Amazon) that will hold a lot of small things and today it's even drying a bed comforter that I just washed. I want that comforter totally dry and sanitized and undamaged, not mangled in a dryer.

Pants like jeans will get the dryer but taken out before totally dry and allowed to dry naturally. I do think these apartment complexes have a point, being that clotheslines all over the place would look hideous--think of those old pictures of clotheslines in NYC tenaments over 100 years ago, but line drying is so much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living