Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 04:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been looking around the internet and basically, the ingredients I have found are:
pure bar soap
borax
washing soda
baking soda.

but elsewhere I found some warnings, that this homemade detergent may be hard on some machines and or fabric.

Has anyone had any experience with this, or similar recipe?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 11:10 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Yes, I tried to make homemade laundry detergent once then decided not to bother doing it again.

There were several problems with using them. First, it was time consuming. The 'cubes' which I produced did not dissolve easily. The laundry turned out OK but not any cleaner or 'fresher' than commercial laundry detergents.

I find it much simpler just to use commercial laundry detergent. I do not like detergents with fragrances and have been using " Tide Liquid Simple Laundry Detergent - Free & Gentle"

Old 01-14-2024, 05:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Like the above poster, I made this once. A newly divorced friend wanted to try it as a cost saving measure, and I let her use my kitchen. I remember the unholy mess we made, as well as the meh results. Never again.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:11 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Hi, I've been looking around the internet and basically, the ingredients I have found are:
pure bar soap
borax
washing soda
baking soda.
but elsewhere I found some warnings, that this homemade detergent may be hard on some machines and or fabric.
Has anyone had any experience with this, or similar recipe?
thanks
It could be hard on some HE washers and fabrics. They may leave residue on the machine (and fabrics) which builds up over time. Store bought detergents are specially formulated and could be more efficient or effective.

You might try your recipe but replace whatever soap with Castile liquid soap.
Just don't make a lot for the first try leaving a room to adjust your formula to your likeness.

Last edited by elnina; 01-14-2024 at 11:24 PM..

Old 01-15-2024, 01:24 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
There are several articles explaining why homemade laundry soap is not a good idea.

1. What Are the Risks of Using Homemade Laundry Soap?

https://heysunday.com/blogs/learn/wh...ry-soap-is-bad

2.Why you actually CAN’T make homemade laundry detergent

http://butterbeliever.com/homemade-l...gent-soap-diy/

3. Your Homemade Laundry Soap MIGHT Be Ruining Your Laundry!

https://naturesnurtureblog.com/homem...soap-problems/

Old 01-17-2024, 06:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
Thanks for replies.
As a measure of desperation, this time I used a few drops of shampoo. It is shampoo I don't use on my hair bec. it doesn't make suds - and I like suds to wash my hair.
It seems to have worked ok, at least my clothes don't have the awful smell they get from the "non-allergic", "non-fragrance" commercial detergent.

And I've got a couple weeks til my next wash to figure out s solution..

Old 01-20-2024, 04:30 PM

31 posts, read 11,299 times
I do this 1x a year so if memory serves me right, it's about 4 ziploc bags sent to me thru Ebay. Years ago I collected old laundry containers from the recycle center and are still re-using them so it saves the enviornment to some degree. My clothes seem to last a little longer with this less toxic concoction yet it may be because I only add soap to every other wash. One downfall is storing all the containers so last time, I made only 50% of what was mailed to me. We use a 5 gallon bucket to make it outside, usually during summer using the hose.

The first year I did all the work myself. Grabbed a cheese shredder to shred the Fels-Naptha soap while watching TV and it stunk the house up, used my own measuring cups, and t's just too much money for the tiny amount of money you save. I like not having to shop for the ingredients, haul them inside my house and store it all.

If Sellers on Ebay are willing to sell homemade laundry soap making maybe a $5-$7 profit using their own elbow grease, measuring it all out in ziploc bags for me, I am for it. I also watched a youtube video to learn how to make it. $22 or less is what we pay for one years worth of laundry soap. That's about $2 a month

Old 01-21-2024, 03:18 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
As a homesteader/prepper, I've come to realize that it's nice to know how to do certain things, but not necessarily efficient to actually do them on a regular basis. Eg- raising chickens to feed, slaughter, clean & cook yourself is too much work and expense when you can get a fresh roasted chicken at the Kwik-Trip for $5, or raising a cow to milk twice each and every day, even when it's -25*F and she's freezing her teats off (literally) dragging them thru 3 ft of snow in January, giving you 8 gal of milk each and every day, although you only use 2 gal a week, etc etc....Just not worth it.

Making your own soap or detergent is another one. ...and do you still use a wash tub & wash board or beat the clothes on rocks down by the stream too?

Old 01-21-2024, 09:35 AM

31 posts, read 11,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
As a homesteader/prepper, I've come to realize that it's nice to know how to do certain things, but not necessarily efficient to actually do them on a regular basis. Eg- raising chickens to feed, slaughter, clean & cook yourself is too much work and expense when you can get a fresh roasted chicken at the Kwik-Trip for $5, or raising a cow to milk twice each and every day, even when it's -25*F and she's freezing her teats off (literally) dragging them thru 3 ft of snow in January, giving you 8 gal of milk each and every day, although you only use 2 gal a week, etc etc....Just not worth it.

Making your own soap or detergent is another one. ...and do you still use a wash tub & wash board or beat the clothes on rocks down by the stream too?
Great points. I do feel making homemade laundry soap at home is worth it BUT only if you buy it from Ebay already pre-shredded and measured. However it might be a wash. I enjoy doing it outside in the morning letting it cook on its own in 100 degree heat on the lawn

Old 01-21-2024, 09:43 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
You can buy surfactants (wetting agent) in bulk, at the agricultural stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living