Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,534,726 times

Advertisements

Its kind of gross when the pig explodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,053,040 times
10 years. Stupid quiz; it takes in some very narrow factors. I'm childfree, therefore my footprint dies with me. What about super-breeders like the Duggars with their 17 kids (and more to come. I guess she won't stop until she has a prolapsed uterus). I'm sure they create more waste and use more resources in one day than I do in a year.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,766,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
10 years. Stupid quiz; it takes in some very narrow factors. I'm childfree, therefore my footprint dies with me. What about super-breeders like the Duggars with their 17 kids (and more to come. I guess she won't stop until she has a prolapsed uterus). I'm sure they create more waste and use more resources in one day than I do in a year.
HOW DARE THEY!!! The Eco-stapo needs to shove a few in the oven I suppose???? That will be your next renewable fuel source!!!!!! but first you'll have to implement your 1 kid per couple laws

Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM

23,672 posts, read 70,796,309 times
Originally Posted by silverwing
Originally Posted by my54ford
HOW DARE THEY!!! The Eco-stapo needs to shove a few in the oven I suppose???? That will be your next renewable fuel source!!!!!! but first you'll have to implement your 1 kid per couple laws

Look at it this way. Note to humor impaired, this is a joke-

If silverwing is smart and doesn't reproduce, he doesn't have to worry about global warming affecting his kids, and his intelligence will die out when he goes.

The Duggars, not being as smart, have a lot of kids, and their kids, not being smart, have a lot more, and so on. The intelligence level of humans decreases over time, and the planet is eventually repopulated with great apes swinging from the trees, susceptible to lions and tigers.

This satisifies everyone except the eco-nuts; who are then concerned that the trees are becoming too overloaded with apes. They present charts showing predictions of a great deforestation, allowing them to tax tree use, and clamor for a reduction in woodpeckers.

Hopefully, by that time, intelligence will be at a level where the apes scratch their heads and poo on the charts. Some of the early warning signs of this type of de-evolution and ape-like behavior are already occurring.

Real risks, surreal humor in UC Berkeley trees

You see, it is all part of a master plan.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,852,446 times
I thought this was decided 2000 years ago.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,053,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Look at it this way. Note to humor impaired, this is a joke-

If silverwing is smart and doesn't reproduce, he doesn't have to worry about global warming affecting his kids, and his intelligence will die out when he goes.

The Duggars, not being as smart, have a lot of kids, and their kids, not being smart, have a lot more, and so on. The intelligence level of humans decreases over time, and the planet is eventually repopulated with great apes swinging from the trees, susceptible to lions and tigers.
::scratches back of head:: You just described an alternate ending to the movie "Idiocracy"

[and put an 's' in front of that 'he', please ]

It's the attitude of people toward the likes of herd-breeders like the Duggars that makes me not give a good-gawd-damn about 'saving the world' Even some of the most ecology-minded get a brain fog when it comes to having kids. "Well, if they can afford them, and are good parents ...." is a constant refrain.

Well, then, f*ckit. I've calculated that The Spouse and I can afford an RV and the gas for it, up to the point that fuel reaches $7/gal (and not one of the land yachts, either, for those about to make waspish comments. We're looking at one of the compact 22-24 foot versions). We've ridden scooters as a primary form of transportation for the last 10 years, saving my Chevy Silverado for stuff like runs to the dump and hauling our bikes to destinations. We live in a house that is just right for our needs; eschewing the showiness and waste of a McMansion; we've always recycled, and have been generous in donations to land trust and conservation societies. Since our impact to the world dies out with us, leaving the next generation the resources that would have been used by our kids, had we chosen to produce them, then we are going to take some of those unused credits for ourselves in following a retirement dream: travel. Especially in mind of the blessings the likes of the Duggars get for following their favorite anthem "Every Sperm is Sacred."

Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,814,391 times
How soon should you get sterilized to save the planet?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,852,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
::scratches back of head:: You just described an alternate ending to the movie "Idiocracy"

[and put an 's' in front of that 'he', please ]

It's the attitude of people toward the likes of herd-breeders like the Duggars that makes me not give a good-gawd-damn about 'saving the world' Even some of the most ecology-minded get a brain fog when it comes to having kids. "Well, if they can afford them, and are good parents ...." is a constant refrain.

Well, then, f*ckit. I've calculated that The Spouse and I can afford an RV and the gas for it, up to the point that fuel reaches $7/gal (and not one of the land yachts, either, for those about to make waspish comments. We're looking at one of the compact 22-24 foot versions). We've ridden scooters as a primary form of transportation for the last 10 years, saving my Chevy Silverado for stuff like runs to the dump and hauling our bikes to destinations. We live in a house that is just right for our needs; eschewing the showiness and waste of a McMansion; we've always recycled, and have been generous in donations to land trust and conservation societies. Since our impact to the world dies out with us, leaving the next generation the resources that would have been used by our kids, had we chosen to produce them, then we are going to take some of those unused credits for ourselves in following a retirement dream: travel. Especially in mind of the blessings the likes of the Duggars get for following their favorite anthem "Every Sperm is Sacred."
Amen to that, sister!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 622,566 times
This does really make you stop and think about what we waste and that is a good start. Then we need to do something about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living