Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:18 AM

7,344 posts, read 5,234,819 times

Advertisements

https://www.iflscience.com/why-scien...isasters-60380

Phytoremediation for nuclear accidents-- sunflowers are particularly good for absorbing radioactive salts from soil. They grow fast and large, taking up large quantities quickly.

They were used quite successfully after the Chernobyl episode, but were less successful at Fukishima, probably because they used a different species of plant. The plants can then be harvested and carried off to deposit at more remote, more acceptable places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 02:04 AM

23,300 posts, read 29,167,778 times
I'm just finishing a book on the history of pollution, going way back to the 1700's/1800's, coming forward to today's invisible pollution. YOu look around and see clear skies, unsullied rivers and you think: Ah! We've conquered the world of pollution. But! The pollution today has become invisible, it's undetectable to the naked eye, and just as dangerous.

In one laughable part of the book, in a city, back in the 1800's, with a river laden with toxic/chemical wastes, to address the residents, given you couldn't swim in it, or eat the fish from it, if they hadn't died already, the Mayor commented: Well, let's look at the upside! The mosquito's won't even go near that river and will lessen the incidences of malaria!

I didn't realize up until the 70's, nuclear waste was being dumped into the oceans (and then we worry about some leaking from the nuclear powers plant in Fukijima in Japan) and used tires were being dumped into the ocean and the Mediterranean. Over 2 million tires were dumped off the coast in Florida.

And as early as 1972, microplastics were also found off the coast of Florida. They've found microplastics in the snow in our mountains, and the snow melts and?

Old 04-09-2024, 08:47 AM

The accelerated rate of "GW" seen since 1985 corresponds almost exactly to the "cleaner" atmosphere seen since rigid EPA regs were put in place.....Cause & effect or mere coincidence.?... (BTW-- health problems like asthma & COPD have gotten more common during that time span. How have the regs helped us?)

The used tires dumped off the coast of Fl, I believe, was done to provide good habitat for corral reef growth.

The total surface area of Earth's oceans is about 1.5 x 10e10 sq mi. With an average depth of, say, 2 mi, that's 3 x 10e10 cu mi of water......Uranium reserves are estimated to be 6 x 10e6 tons (due, BTW, to become depletd by the end of this century)...so, if we dumped it all into the drink, it would be diluted to one ton per 5000 cu mi of water-- not enough to set off a Geiger counter.....The open ocean is remarkably devoid of life below a meter or two depth. It's a good place to dump hat stuff.

Always do the arithmetic before deciding we have a problem.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:29 AM

2,107 posts, read 1,717,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm just finishing a book on the history of pollution, going way back to the 1700's/1800's, coming forward to today's invisible pollution. YOu look around and see clear skies, unsullied rivers and you think: Ah! We've conquered the world of pollution. But! The pollution today has become invisible, it's undetectable to the naked eye, and just as dangerous.

In one laughable part of the book, in a city, back in the 1800's, with a river laden with toxic/chemical wastes, to address the residents, given you couldn't swim in it, or eat the fish from it, if they hadn't died already, the Mayor commented: Well, let's look at the upside! The mosquito's won't even go near that river and will lessen the incidences of malaria!

I didn't realize up until the 70's, nuclear waste was being dumped into the oceans (and then we worry about some leaking from the nuclear powers plant in Fukijima in Japan) and used tires were being dumped into the ocean and the Mediterranean. Over 2 million tires were dumped off the coast in Florida.

And as early as 1972, microplastics were also found off the coast of Florida. They've found microplastics in the snow in our mountains, and the snow melts and?

Up until about 1992, I believe, New York City piled all it's garbage onto a barge, towed it out to sea and simply dumped it overboard. Before then, they had barge full of trash (6 million pounds worth) that was supposed to go to a landfill in NC. For whatever reason nobody would take it and the barge wandered the seas for 5 months or so. I forget where it ended up.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:57 AM

23,300 posts, read 29,167,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Up until about 1992, I believe, New York City piled all it's garbage onto a barge, towed it out to sea and simply dumped it overboard. Before then, they had barge full of trash (6 million pounds worth) that was supposed to go to a landfill in NC. For whatever reason nobody would take it and the barge wandered the seas for 5 months or so. I forget where it ended up.
At one time, I believe, they dumped it on Staten Island, which had one of the biggest landfills in the world, and now what do they do with it?

Old 05-08-2024, 10:04 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,523,370 times
I heard the waste from the Ohio train spill came to our lovely state-Texas! I have not cross researched it tho. I think I saw it on the news before they buried it under other stories.

So sad!

Old 05-08-2024, 10:07 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,523,370 times
A lot of chemicals can be processed to be less dangerous and then be disposed of. I had to hire one to dispose of some chems my dad left behind. Gruene https://grueneenviro.com/

Old 05-09-2024, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I heard the waste from the Ohio train spill came to our lovely state-Texas! I have not cross researched it tho. I think I saw it on the news before they buried it under other stories.

So sad!
While chemicals from Industrial spills can be detected at amazingly long distances, ground water from OH is going to wind up in the Gulf, and prevailing winds go west to east, so it's not very plausible that TX would get any from that particular spill.

Chem!cals disperse by an inverse square law, so they dilute very rapidly as they sp!read, so unless you're an eyewitness, so to speak, of a spill, you're probably safe.....There are no poisons, only poisonous doses for all chemicals. Even water and oxygen can reach toxic levels.

It's been 60 yrs since the Cayahoga River in Cleveland caught fire. "Pollution" is not the problem it used to be, and we're long past the point of diminishing returns in pollution regulation......Habitat loss dwarfs pollution as an environmental problem.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:23 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,717,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While chemicals from Industrial spills can be detected at amazingly long distances, ground water from OH is going to wind up in the Gulf, and prevailing winds go west to east, so it's not very plausible that TX would get any from that particular spill.

Chem!cals disperse by an inverse square law, so they dilute very rapidly as they sp!read, so unless you're an eyewitness, so to speak, of a spill, you're probably safe.....There are no poisons, only poisonous doses for all chemicals. Even water and oxygen can reach toxic levels.

It's been 60 yrs since the Cayahoga River in Cleveland caught fire. "Pollution" is not the problem it used to be, and we're long past the point of diminishing returns in pollution regulation......Habitat loss dwarfs pollution as an environmental problem.

I believe creepy is talking about actual waste, likely contaminated soil, being dug up and transported to Texas for disposal. Not environmental dispersion.

Here in Alaska we have no hazardous waste landfills or treatment facilities. All hazardous waste gets shipped south usually either to Arlington Oregon or Grand View Idaho where they have EPA approved facilities/landfills for hazardous waste.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:17 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,374,736 times
Not all western countries ship their toxic waste to poor countries. Italy's "Triange of Death" is located 25km northeast of the city of Naples. It contains the largest waste dump in Europe, and has a high rate of cancer-related mortality.

Finland buries their uranium waste in underground tunnels, while Japan releases theirs in the ocean.
https://youtu.be/kYpiK3W-g_0?si=nrN1PG2R--BMTFwu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living