Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 04:39 PM

34,191 posts, read 83,358,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I LOVE my Amazon boxes, use them for organization, cut them down shorter to use on pantry shelves...
Maybe it's just a NC thing?
At the rear are the "suitcase" boxes all sturdy with sealing flaps and such.
They'll be re-used. Most of the rest are lighter and get used for debris disposal.
I might have some demo trash this summer. Well, again sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Drowning under card board boxes.-4-24_noexcuses.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 04:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 886,192 times
if its paper. its get recycle into the burn barrel and burned. once its full, its gets recycle into the compost pile, with yard leaves

Old 05-07-2024, 06:47 PM

13,140 posts, read 9,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I’m an Amazon and Costco/sams club fan so boxes are taking over my garage. Is there n easy wy to dispose of these or is fattening them and putting them out for city to handle as they will in my town?
Maybe you're ordering too much stuff.

Some of the Amazon boxes we'll reuse. Most of them, we just break down and put in the recycle bin. Presumably they send them to companies that make paper products and they're chopped up and used to make new paper items.

Old 05-25-2024, 04:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 637,379 times
It's cardboard, which is 100% biodegradable. Just cut it up and put it in the ground, or put it in the trash for the landfills. It will return to it's base elements in a few months or sooner. Great stuff for composting or mulch.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:20 PM

843 posts, read 782,734 times
I use boxes for my cats. They LOVE LOVE LOVE boxes! They play in them, climb around in & on them, & sleep in them, too! (My neighbor gets boxes regularly & I get mine from their recycle can, as needed (I have their permission).

Some people use them in the garden to cover an area they want to stop things growing on, and after putting as many layers as they've decided down, they then cover them with a pretty mulch.

You could offer the boxes for curbside pickup on Craig's List, or have people make an appointment to take as many as possible (you can set a minimum limit). And you can advertise in the garden & pet sections . . . not just on Craig's List. . . . On local neighborhood blog sites, too.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:41 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,165,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's cardboard, which is 100% biodegradable. Just cut it up and put it in the ground, or put it in the trash for the landfills. It will return to it's base elements in a few months or sooner. Great stuff for composting or mulch.
Cardboard doesn't just "come from trees", there's a production process that takes place, from transporting the timber to pulping wood chips, and cutting, printing, gluing, and forming the boxes. This process uses massive amounts of energy, fuel, water, and chemicals.

It's definitely wasteful to use a box one time and toss it into the waste stream. Cardboard that ends up in the trash and in landfills isn't going to biodegrade if it's compacted by tons of other rubbish. I tried putting ripped up cardboard into my compost pile and it takes ages to break down, or never. Mostly it turns into a heavy, wet layer that you can't even bust up with a shovel, so I stopped putting it in the compost.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:49 PM

37,292 posts, read 41,533,342 times
My DIL was helping organize my garage, and we had ordered lunch delivered. She asked the guy who delivered the food if he knew anyone who could use the boxes we had unpacked. He took them for himself. Serendipity.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,393,977 times
I won’t allow cardboard boxes in my house. They attract bugs and mice. Throw them out or recycle them.

Old 05-28-2024, 04:57 AM

7,373 posts, read 5,290,144 times
Amazing that bugs & mice in your neighborhood know you have boxes in your house.....They don't....They just find their way in and once in, they find boxes a good place to nest.....Maybe it's better to have them nesting in boxes rather than in your mattress, couch cushions, bureau drawers or walls.

As we've said, boxes can be recycled, but have a limited market for that. Re-using merely alters the time pattern. It doesn't solve the problem. Burning also alters the time pattern, speeding it up. The cardboard is destined to oxidize eventually one way or the other. The only dumb thing to do with them is to put them in a landfill.

Old Today, 07:56 PM

15,669 posts, read 15,807,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I’m an Amazon and Costco/sams club fan so boxes are taking over my garage. Is there n easy wy to dispose of these or is fattening them and putting them out for city to handle as they will in my town?
Or you could instead shop locally, and support your own town and your own tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living