Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM

7,116 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Perhaps "candor" would be the better word? If you read the article, you'll form your own opinion...I voiced mine...(as My Dad used to say, "In my opinion,which I value highly"...)

In the end, when all's said and done, opinions and view points are like belly buttons--we each have one...and they're all different...I try to find sources from experts in the field with no particular axe to grind, read the opposing viewpoint, filter it through my own world experience lens and form my opinion..and while my view point might differ from yours, it doesn't mean yours is wrong...just different...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM

314 posts, read 930,567 times
I couldnt agree more and my jury is still out on this one.....thats not to say us humans dont need to seriously clean up our act....but as far as "Man made Global Warming" there are still to many professional opposing view point for me to take sides, except and dispite what my own hypothisis are.

We humans tend to think we are way more powerful and Smart than we really are.

Again my jury is still out.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
I think that deforestation and pollution is much, much more serious than co2. IMHO.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 PM

414 posts, read 884,387 times
I tend to view climate change as a much grander process than what we have been fed lately. There is, certainly, a natural ebb and flow of global climate as well as an effect due to human pollution.

However, what is interesting to notice is that there is a more prominent greenhouse gas known as methane.
From the EPA website: Methane (CH4) is a greenhouse gas that remains in the atmosphere for approximately 9-15 years. Methane is over 20 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide (CO2) over a 100-year period and is emitted from a variety of natural and human-influenced sources. Human-influenced sources include landfills, natural gas and petroleum systems, agricultural activities, coal mining, stationary and mobile combustion, wastewater treatment, and certain industrial process.

Humans have been introducing appreciable amounts of methane into the atmosphere ever since the agricultural revolution. This has created a build up of green house gases faster than normal. The recent implosion of CO2 levels only add to this.

Large parts of of Antarctica and Greenland are melting away faster than expected due to some processes that we didn't understand until we could observe them in action. In Greenland melt-water on the top of the ice travels down cracks and gets underneath the glaciers providing a lubricant to make them slide down faster. In Antarctica the ice shelfs are deep enough to avoid lubrication but this leads to water freezing inside the cracks and essentially pushing the cracks wider and breaking apart the ice due to expansion. 10,000 year old ice shelfs have dissappeared within months due to these processes.

Now, the removal of ice, I feel, has an even greater effect because ice reflects sunlight back into space (with some getting trapped by greenhouse gases) whereas open water absorbs most of the solar energy. It is like taking off your white t-shirt and putting on a black one during the summer.

So, essentially what I am getting at here is that CO2 is not the only thing making Earth warmer. In fact, it might be the most minor effect compared to the overall warming effects of methane and ice loss.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
I guess I believe the earth is warming, but I have to ask...compared to WHEN? It's plausible that some people with an agenda choose a certain time period so they can point to the calendar and claim that alleged warming is due to the industrial revolution.

If the earth is warming, I don't believe it is man-made. I believe it's cyclical. Unfortunately, pundits, the media, greenies and politicians have declared it to be so and have determined humans to be the culprits. This means that rational discourse and alternative (read "politically incorrect") opinions are not welcome. They don't like to be challenged or questioned and they're not interested in opposing sides or facts supporting the opposing sides.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 AM

414 posts, read 884,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I guess I believe the earth is warming, but I have to ask...compared to WHEN? It's plausible that some people with an agenda choose a certain time period so they can point to the calendar and claim that alleged warming is due to the industrial revolution.

If the earth is warming, I don't believe it is man-made. I believe it's cyclical. Unfortunately, pundits, the media, greenies and politicians have declared it to be so and have determined humans to be the culprits. This means that rational discourse and alternative (read "politically incorrect") opinions are not welcome. They don't like to be challenged or questioned and they're not interested in opposing sides or facts supporting the opposing sides.
Quite true there. There is a lot of money to be made with this global warming business. Truth is, whether it is man made or we are reaching the end of a 10,000 year cycle, some things are going to change with rising temperatures. Sea levels will rise, though it is debatable by how much, and storm systems will have more energy to draw from. There is also the possibility of the Oceanic Conveyor Belt halting due to lower salinity in the North Atlantic from ice-melt. This could actually cause the reverse of global warming and begin a trend to another ice age.

Point is, whether global climate change is man-made or natural it is something humans must adapt to. Therefore conversation about how to prevent or prepare for it is essential to survival of current society.

EDIT: To answer you question on WHEN the comparison is being made, most popular media focuses on recent history. However, if you look at data found in ice core samples you will see that significant increases in temperature occur rapidly. This would suggest that rapid global warming is more of a natural, yet unknown, occurrence. We have yet to see what causes the rapid warming shown in the historical data (one theory was that massive methane reservoirs in the ocean were disturbed and released into the atmosphere, though this theory is now considered false).

Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Quite true there. There is a lot of money to be made with this global warming business. Truth is, whether it is man made or we are reaching the end of a 10,000 year cycle, some things are going to change with rising temperatures. Sea levels will rise, though it is debatable by how much, and storm systems will have more energy to draw from. There is also the possibility of the Oceanic Conveyor Belt halting due to lower salinity in the North Atlantic from ice-melt. This could actually cause the reverse of global warming and begin a trend to another ice age.
).
Conveyor belt has nothing to do with temps on Coasts. The US West coast is warmer than the UK and the EU but it has a COLD current off its coast. What keeps the coasts warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer is the air blowing off the Ocean.

Columbia News ::: Columbia Research Dispels 150 Years of Thinking-Mild Winter Conditions in Europe Are Not Due to the Gulf Stream

"New research shows that the Gulf Stream has little effect on the contrast in winter temperatures between Europe and eastern North America, dispelling a long-held assumption. Instead, atmospheric circulation, augmented by the Rocky Mountains, plays a larger role, say Richard Seager of Columbia's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, David Battisti of the University of Washington and their colleagues.

Published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, this new data suggests that atmospheric circulation is more important to understanding climate variability than is the ocean circulation..."

Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Its going to get very cold soon.

Dalton Minimum Returns: Archibald paper supports Dalton Minimum Returns

Most of the climate stations used by Al Gore are compromised by being sited on cement or near machinery. 87% of the stations are flawed!!

Over 500 USHCN Climate Stations Now Surveyed « Watts Up With That?

Main Global Warming researcher under investigation for Academic Fraud.

DailyTech - Academic Misconduct Alleged in Climate Research

"Keenan filed a Freedom of Information Act claim to find the source of Wang's data -- a report written jointly by the U.S. DOE and the Chinese Academy of Sciences. He quickly found a smoking gun. The data came from only 84 stations, 60% of which had no history whatsoever, and the report claims "details regarding instrumentation, collection methods, observing times ... are not known." Of the 35 remaining, over half had moved large distances (one station moving as many as five times) or had serious, known inconsistencies in the record. The report specifically contradicts Wang's claims, concluding that "even the best stations were subject to minor relocations or changes in observing times and many have undoubtedly experienced large increases in urbanization....The IPCC -- based largely on Wang's research -- concluded the satellite measurements are wrong, and the surface temperatures are accurate..."

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
In Antarctica the ice shelfs are deep enough to avoid lubrication but this leads to water freezing inside the cracks and essentially pushing the cracks wider and breaking apart the ice due to expansion. 10,000 year old ice shelfs have dissappeared within months due to these processes.
The antarctic has record ice levels lately.
The Southern Hemisphere sea ice area narrowly surpassed the previous historic maximum of 16.03 million sq. km to 16.17 million sq. km. The observed sea ice record in the Southern Hemisphere (1979-present) is not as long as the Northern Hemisphere. (meaning it has not been tracked as long as the North Pole) Prior to the satellite era, direct observations of the Southern Hemisphere sea ice edge were sporadic.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosph...area.south.jpg

Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Alright, we all know that the world is warming, that is a fact. .
Its a fact that its cooling.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living