Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times

Advertisements

Alright, we all know that the world is warming, that is a fact. We can openly see the affects and it is widely documented that global warming is in process. HOWEVER, we aren't 100% sure on what is causing global warming. Yet I see everyone talking about how they can reduce CO2 emissions, like it is a fact that more co2 in the air = more global warming and frankly many of you are mislead. For all we know, global warming could be entirely controlled by processes that are not in the realm of human control. Also the fact that many politicians have linked more co2 = more global warming tells me that there is a political agenda being pushed behind this co2 global warming idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
I'm not sure it's a fact that the earth is warming. I have read that temperatures haven't really gone up since 1999.

But as to the question in your post - yes some people believe it.

I don't. I think it is just something for people with too much time on their hands to worry about. Or worse yet for people who have control over raising our taxes.

I do believe in taking care of the earth. But I can't buy that CO2 is a pollutant.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Do people here undertand the difference between faith (beliefs) and scientific theory (probability, statistics etc)?

Just asking.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Do people here undertand the difference between faith (beliefs) and scientific theory (probability, statistics etc)?

Just asking.
yea of course, faith created science, everyone knows that!

haha, kidding

Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:

Just asking.
I do. But if we disagree on Global Warming are you going to say I don't?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:

Just asking.
Operative word here is theory. Do people here understand the difference between theory and fact?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
What about photosynthesis? Plants are consumers of carbon dioxide when growing. When mature they produce more than they consume. A great reason to harvest mature plants and trees and replace with young growing ones.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
But, but, but Al Gore says the earth has a fever, so it must be so!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Alright, we all know that the world is warming, that is a fact. We can openly see the affects and it is widely documented that global warming is in process. HOWEVER, we aren't 100% sure on what is causing global warming. Yet I see everyone talking about how they can reduce CO2 emissions, like it is a fact that more co2 in the air = more global warming and frankly many of you are mislead. For all we know, global warming could be entirely controlled by processes that are not in the realm of human control. Also the fact that many politicians have linked more co2 = more global warming tells me that there is a political agenda being pushed behind this co2 global warming idea.
So you think there's a conspiracy surrounding the true cause of Global Warming? That's it's not caused primarily by CO2 but by something else?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So you think there's a conspiracy surrounding the true cause of Global Warming? That's it's not caused primarily by CO2 but by something else?
Climate change is controlled primarily by cyclical eccentricities in Earth's rotation and orbit, as well as variations in the sun's energy output.

"Greenhouse gases" in Earth's atmosphere also influence Earth's temperature, but in a much smaller way. Human additions to total greenhouse gases play a still smaller role, contributing about 0.2% - 0.3% to Earth's greenhouse effect.

Global Warming:A Chilling Perspective

Earth's climate was in a cool period from A.D. 1400 to about A.D. 1860, dubbed the "Little Ice Age." This period was characterized by harsh winters, shorter growing seasons, and a drier climate. The decline in global temperatures was a modest 1/2° C, but the effects of this global cooling cycle were more pronounced in the higher latitudes. The Little Ice Age has been blamed for a host of human suffering including crop failures like the "Irish Potato Famine" and the demise of the medieval Viking colonies in Greenland.

Today we enjoy global temperatures which have warmed back to levels of the so called "Medieval Warm Period," which existed from approximately A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1350.

Putting things in perspective, geologists tell us our present warm climate is a mere blip in the history of an otherwise cold Earth. Frigid Ice Age temperatures have been the rule, not the exception, for the last couple of million years. This kind of world is not totally inhospitable, but not a very fun place to live, unless you are a polar bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living