Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,020,645 times

Advertisements

Funny, I fondly remember home delivered milk in square shaped GLASS bottles. Square for shipping ease, glass for cleanliness and the ability to be reused. Perhaps we need to go back to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM

563 posts, read 2,571,535 times
I just recently went to a farmer's market and there was a dairy selling milk in glass jugs. They were sort of a local dairy and actually had limited delivery too. I could purchase the milk and bring the milk jugs back to them to get my deposit back, or exchange for more milk. They get the milk from a dairy up near Syracuse, NY. The milk tasted great. The problem was a half gallon cost about 3.50 and the deposit was 1.00 a bottle. IMO, at that price, that would be considered more of a novelty for me to get the milk considering I have to drive about 20 mins to get it from them, or go to the store down my block and get a gallon for 2.99. The milk did taste good though from that glass bottle.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
In South Africa we have been using milk in sachets or bags for 30 odd years. Despite it costing a lot less and using 20% of the plastic of screw tops and none of the dangerous waxes of cartons it still only commands 35% of the market. This is largely due to the mess and spillage associated with their use. Along has come a product called the CLIP IT milk sachet jug. This patented jug has won numerous design awards and makes using sachets so easy. Cheap, hygienic and environmentally friendly. See: http://www.msbdesign.co.za

Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
What's wrong with the waxed paper milk containers? Are these more or less recyclable than those?
My sentiments as well. they were a perfectly fine biodegradable container that also sustained a flagging paper industry.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I just recently went to a farmer's market and there was a dairy selling milk in glass jugs. They were sort of a local dairy and actually had limited delivery too. I could purchase the milk and bring the milk jugs back to them to get my deposit back, or exchange for more milk. They get the milk from a dairy up near Syracuse, NY. The milk tasted great. The problem was a half gallon cost about 3.50 and the deposit was 1.00 a bottle. IMO, at that price, that would be considered more of a novelty for me to get the milk considering I have to drive about 20 mins to get it from them, or go to the store down my block and get a gallon for 2.99. The milk did taste good though from that glass bottle.
Glass bottled milk does taste better.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Glass bottled milk does taste better.

even better right from the teet.

busta

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM

I like it chilled first.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,873,444 times
When you say paper wax do you mean the regular rectangular half gallon container... I am not under the impression that this can be recycled?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 PM

That's because once upon a time they were WAX sealed cardboard and not the plasticized petroleum wax that covers cartons of milk now.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Funny, I fondly remember home delivered milk in square shaped GLASS bottles. Square for shipping ease, glass for cleanliness and the ability to be reused. Perhaps we need to go back to that.
Absolutely. You could eliminate plastic completely by replacing the jugs of plastic with jugs of glass. Liquid companies could start their own recycle program in that city and save themselves money by crushing the glass and remelting it into their own container. Or a 3rd party vendor could do it. Good idea crackly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living