Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 309,097 times

Advertisements

We recently moved into another house and have a lot of stuff to donate & recycle. I found this company & was wondering if anyone has used them before. I have old CDs, floppy disks, jewel cases to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 06:11 AM

955 posts, read 2,156,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobeachgirl View Post
We recently moved into another house and have a lot of stuff to donate & recycle. I found this company & was wondering if anyone has used them before. I have old CDs, floppy disks, jewel cases to get rid of.
Looks like they have a breat business model and I'll bet that local environmententaly sensitive communities will give them some good contracts. Quite a website they have. I wonder if they are a publicly traded company? They have partnered with FedEx to fly stuff around in their boxes that you purchase from them.

Sounds like they have found a nitche. Good luck to all entrepreneurs!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 PM

215 posts, read 839,725 times
I use this company. All you pay is the shipping.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM

56 posts, read 309,097 times
Thanks jecc!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
I just saw Greendisk featured on PlanetGreen. Seems like they have drop-offs in local music/electronics stores.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I used to do design work, so I have a fair bit of VHS/CD/DVD/Jewel Case techno-trash, bits and pieces of equipment, yards of cable and old circuit boards, etc that I need to get rid of responsibly. I almost choked when I got my quote from GreenDisk. I don't mind paying the shipping and a small fee; but since they are stripping, reusing, or recycling these things and making profit when they resell them I thought their fees were a tad excessive.

If I could find a single place to send all my varied forms of techno-trash that didn't cost me an arm and leg, I'd be estatic!

I have a personal peeve about profitting off someone attempting to do the right thing... doing the right thing should be made as painless as possible or no one will do it.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I don't mind paying the shipping and a small fee; but since they are stripping, reusing, or recycling these things and making profit when they resell them I thought their fees were a tad excessive.

If I could find a single place to send all my varied forms of techno-trash that didn't cost me an arm and leg, I'd be estatic!

I have a personal peeve about profitting off someone attempting to do the right thing... doing the right thing should be made as painless as possible or no one will do it.
Like I said in my earlier post, this company has a good business model poised to make a decent profit. You don't partner with FedEx if you are a break even proposition.

Why is this feeling out there that everything green should be non profit? And by the way, non profit does not really mean no profit. In a regular company, excess revenues over expenses go into retained earnings on the balance sheet. In a non profit, excess revenues over expenses go on the balance sheet as "non profit assets". There's more to it than that, but good enough for a CD explanation.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I don't think that all things "green" should be non-profit... I think that the profit they make on reselling the materials to other producers or as finished goods to the consumers, not on the collection of "raw" goods from well-meaning user. I've got no problem spending a little extra for a more efficient product or one that is made of recycled materials... I just don't want to get dinged coming and going. I also think that the average person should be treated differently than a large corporation or when it comes to green initiatives because we tend to have less money and resources to spread around and we also tend to have less waste per sq ft. The government and corporations need to help the average person make better decisions (or be able to afford and access them) instead of just trying to get as much of our money out of our pockets as possible.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 14,721 times
Hey MissingAll4Seasons,Try [url=http://www.cleanoutyouroffice.com]Clean Out Your Office - Home[/url]. On their website they describe what they refer to as 'Revenue Sharing'; "In some cases your surplus/scrap electronics still has residual value. In these instances the value we pay for materials may offset the cost of removal and recycling. You could possibly pay nothing to get rid of all your materials. Also if there is a substantial value to material you are disposing, we will remove it, market it, and share the revenue with you. In many cases our clients pay nothing to dispose of their E-waste and in some cases generate revenue for the equipment no longer needed in their operations."

Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 AM

65 posts, read 251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Looks like they have a breat business model and I'll bet that local environmententaly sensitive communities will give them some good contracts. Quite a website they have. I wonder if they are a publicly traded company? They have partnered with FedEx to fly stuff around in their boxes that you purchase from them.

Sounds like they have found a nitche. Good luck to all entrepreneurs!
Can one buy stuff from them too/ I need a few Scsi HDs that are working. some odds and ends for cellphones... Some PC parts and software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living