Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Nope!

The only taxpayers that might have helped me to some extent would be other Unisource customers, not general US taxpayers. A Federal Tax Credit is not a rebate. No one sends me any money. A Federal Tax Credit means I pay less tax, you don't pay more.

I think $100,000 in Federal Income Tax is enough. But you'd rather I send in $125,000? And then that would mean that you could send in less? Federal Income Taxes don't work that way. You pay based on your income. Not what I pay. And goes for today, tomorrow and next year.
You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about. Go look up what "tax credit" means. A tax credit does not mean you pay less in taxes, it means the government sends you a check, just that the way the tax payment system is setup, you can use it to lower the amount paid by applying the credit, just like a rebate.

If you had enough deductions that you owed no tax but then had the solar tax credit, you get a check.

You also don't know much about how taxes work or are calculated. For every tax credit, there must be an offset somewhere else. In other words, for your tax credit a payment is made directly to you, in the form of a check if you owe no tax. The home buyer tax credit worked the same way, if you owed no tax beyond what you already paid, you got a check. Someone had to ante up for that check you got (even if you simply swapped the check to pay a tax).

Lets make this easy. If everyone got a solar tax credit, where would the money come from to pay those credits? Get back when you figure it out.

When you learn the difference between tax credit and tax deduction, check in again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So where did the tax credit come from? You do understand that a tax credit is money provided to you as a direct payment right? Did the money come out of thin air?

How could you take a Federal Tax credit for 25k when the cost was 25K? That would be a 100% tax credit, mind showing how that happened?

How on earth do you think that a tax credit isn't paid for by other taxpayers?

I.m happy for you that your system is working as you'd like but the way you come up with the numbers doesn't make any sense.
Money did not come to me. The Tax Credit came from me not paying that much tax. The end.

The total cost of the system was about $75K.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about. Go look up what "tax credit" means. A tax credit does not mean you pay less in taxes, it means the government sends you a check, just that the way the tax payment system is setup, you can use it to lower the amount paid by applying the credit, just like a rebate.

If you had enough deductions that you owed no tax but then had the solar tax credit, you get a check.

You also don't know much about how taxes work or are calculated. For every tax credit, there must be an offset somewhere else. In other words, for your tax credit a payment is made directly to you, in the form of a check if you owe no tax. The home buyer tax credit worked the same way, if you owed no tax beyond what you already paid, you got a check. Someone had to ante up for that check you got (even if you simply swapped the check to pay a tax).

Lets make this easy. If everyone got a solar tax credit, where would the money come from to pay those credits? Get back when you figure it out.

When you learn the difference between tax credit and tax deduction, check in again.
<LOL> Well IMO I have some idea since I did the solar install in 2008. And my daughter was a 1st time home buyer in 2010.

They are 2 different programs.
Solar is a pure tax credit, but can only go so far as zero your federal tax obligation for that year. If there is residual it can be carried over to the next year. There is no rebate check. In my case I just sent in $25K less tax.

Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit

The 1st time home buyer was more like a rebate, no matter what your tax situation was. She got an $8K check from the Feds, courtesy of you and me.

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

The only offsets for tax credits (if not already legislated in) are in future politics and not on any current balance sheet in DC.

Not everyone is going to take a solar tax credit, so yours is a strawman argument. For instance if you don't pay federal income taxes you gain nothing. But let's say 10M homes take the credit. And the average credit is $10K. (mine is a large system, and costs are lower today) That would mean roughly $100B less federal revenue. Hey shtz can happen, as it did in AZ back in 2000. Just not in this case though.

Arizona Taxpayers Fuming Over $200 Million Boondoggle / Alternative-fuel tax credit offer backfires on state - SFGate

Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Actually I took Tax Theory in college.

Individual Income taxes do not run the nation. They are designed as a passive method of controlling mass behavior.

There is no 'shared' burden of taxation, it is an illusion.

There was no need for Individual Income taxes before 1930, and there is no true need for it today.

That is not correct either.

It 'makes sense' when it is needed to have power. If you need electricity, then you get it regardless of cost.

The price of solar panels has been dropping for decades. It made sense to install even when the price has 10X today's prices.
When and where did you take tax theory?? Sounds like you took the class in the 1930's!!!

You are correct that solar makes sense when you need the electricity. That's why I spent 40,000 dollars on solar and the International Space Station has solar panels.

However, as a government policy for generating electricity it is absolute lunacy! That is what happens when you elect people that NEVER took a economics or science class.

If your really concerned about electricity generated from coal and creating jobs......start laying natural gas pipelines to homes and businesses. That will create thousands of jobs in the US instead of China and lower the CO emissions significantly.

Instead when you elect people without an economics and science background you get windmills destroying thousands of acres of public land and tax subsidies for solar panels that increase employment in China.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When and where did you take tax theory?? Sounds like you took the class in the 1930's!!!
1980s. While I was finishing my E.E. degree.

Quote:
... You are correct that solar makes sense when you need the electricity. That's why I spent 40,000 dollars on solar and the International Space Station has solar panels.
Electricity is nice to have.

Quote:
... That is what happens when you elect people that NEVER took a economics or science class.

If your really concerned about electricity generated from coal and creating jobs......start laying natural gas pipelines to homes and businesses. That will create thousands of jobs in the US instead of China and lower the CO emissions significantly.

Instead when you elect people without an economics and science background you get windmills destroying thousands of acres of public land and tax subsidies for solar panels that increase employment in China.
'elect' people with engineering degrees do what?

Old 12-01-2013, 07:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:

You are correct that solar makes sense when you need the electricity. That's why I spent 40,000 dollars on solar and the International Space Station has solar panels.

However, as a government policy for generating electricity it is absolute lunacy! That is what happens when you elect people that NEVER took a economics or science class.

Solar is inevitable. The question is when. Those who don't understand that simply need more education.

If you covered most of Iowa, Nebraska, North and South Dakota with windmills you would not destroy or even damage any significant portion of the nation. Grow corn or wheat under windmills just as well as without them. Whether it makes economic sense is a different question.

Gas pipelines are already laid in most of the nation.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Last Governor of Washington that was worth anything was an engineer. The dumbest engineer is smarter than the average lawyer. Your tax theory class was lacking.

Gas pipelines are NOT routed to many homes out west. Using electricity to heat water and living space is lunacy. Instead of building windmills have the federal government run natural gas out to those homes. It will significantly reduce demand for electricity, lower CO2 emissions, and create thousands of high paying jobs in the US not China.

You can have your windmills in the midwest. Out west we are destroying thousands and thousands of acres of public land with windmills and solar plants.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Last Governor of Washington that was worth anything was an engineer. The dumbest engineer is smarter than the average lawyer. Your tax theory class was lacking.

Gas pipelines are NOT routed to many homes out west. Using electricity to heat water and living space is lunacy. Instead of building windmills have the federal government run natural gas out to those homes. It will significantly reduce demand for electricity, lower CO2 emissions, and create thousands of high paying jobs in the US not China.

You can have your windmills in the midwest. Out west we are destroying thousands and thousands of acres of public land with windmills and solar plants.
Out west we have a huge abundance of land and useless open spaces. 10x10 sq mi useless plots for solar are a dime a dozen and everywhere to be seen around AZ/CA where I live. And I have/use natural gas to my house in my small AZ town thank you!

Kramer Junction satellite map - online map of Kramer Junction, San Bernardino County, California - Googlemap

https://local.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...2f9fa61165b28b

Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:

You have any idea what you are talking about?

Is there any western city that does not have gas? I don't think so.

You don't run natural gas to houses in the boonies. They use propane and tanker it in. I suppse they could use CNG but to what end?

YOu really don't know much do you? The west is mostly empty...You could build solar plants for years and not significantly impact the west.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
That's fine if all you are concerned with is having the lowest cost today, regardless of side-effects. But though gas is cleaner than coal or oil, it's still a non-renewable fossil fuel that pollutes the atmosphere.

Promoting technologies that draw on clean, continually renewable energy sources is an investment not only in our grandchildren's lives, but in the lives of their grandchildren.

Quote:
Quote:
That's pure empty rhetoric. No land is being destroyed. As a matter of fact windfarms are proving to be quite compatible to coexist with agriculture and ranching. And big solar farms in desert areas are taking advantage of land that is useless for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living