Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

"Obscene consumption" creates demand and jobs. Slow the economy, increase unemployment = BAD. More demand for products = GOOD.

Duh.

Oh yeah. Communism = BAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
"Obscene consumption" creates demand and jobs. Slow the economy, increase unemployment = BAD. More demand for products = GOOD.

Duh.

Oh, don't ruin their fun. They're too busily congratulating themselves. Of course, what they don't realize is that when this downturn ravages the economy, their favorite coffee shops will be shuttered. And, when people have to choose between paying 20% extra for a green product versus a non-green product, they'll say "To hell with the environment," pluck the non-green product off the shelf and whistle their way to the cash register.

The problem with a lot of the greenies is that they really can't stick to a consistent ideology. They'll all dance around in a drum circle when consumer spending drops like a paralyzed falcon. Then, two-weeks later, they'll pick up a bunch of rudely-lettered placards to protest against the new round of unemployment.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,271 times
Quote:

Duh.

not sure i understand what you mean. communism = bad, were you serious or were you being sarcastic?

if you were being serious i can only assume that you've come to the conclusion that i'm a communist?! how you come to that conclusion i'm not sure but you are wrong. i'm a free market capitalist. i don't believe in govt bailouts, false demand and debt based consumerism.

you are obviously one of those people who believes that our obscene consumption is the only way to keep people employed. you obviously believe then everyone has adequate healthcare, dental, education, energy, quality nutrition, childcare etc. imo there are many shortages in the states to employ people. cheap consumer goods from china is not one of them, neither is misallocated debt!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, don't ruin their fun. They're too busily congratulating themselves. Of course, what they don't realize is that when this downturn ravages the economy, their favorite coffee shops will be shuttered. And, when people have to choose between paying 20% extra for a green product versus a non-green product, they'll say "To hell with the environment," pluck the non-green product off the shelf and whistle their way to the cash register.

The problem with a lot of the greenies is that they really can't stick to a consistent ideology. They'll all dance around in a drum circle when consumer spending drops like a paralyzed falcon. Then, two-weeks later, they'll pick up a bunch of rudely-lettered placards to protest against the new round of unemployment.
another one who believes our out of control consumption of resources is the only way to employ Americans.
it's not about being green, there are many shortages at home where people would be better employed. healthcare, education, energy independence, old age care, childcare, small retailers(with better service and product). walmart, radioshack, penneys, macy's might employ a few people here but they employ 50times as many in Asia.
and in case you haven't been reading the news lately, we're bankrupt. we can no longer sustain our debt funded consumerist ways

Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
another one who believes our out of control consumption of resources is the only way to employ Americans.
it's not about being green, there are many shortages at home where people would be better employed. healthcare, education, energy independence, old age care, childcare, small retailers(with better service and product). walmart, radioshack, penneys, macy's might employ a few people here but they employ 50times as many in Asia.
and in case you haven't been reading the news lately, we're bankrupt. we can no longer sustain our debt funded consumerist ways
Oh, no. Actually, I fully comprehend the toll it has taken. You're talking to a person who lives well within his means, doesn't buy big screen televisions, and dutifully recycles everything. However, I take deep exception to the self-congratulatory giddiness on the part of so many of the fashionably environmentalist movement who are highly detached from the realities of economics.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Oh, no. Actually, I fully comprehend the toll it has taken. You're talking to a person who lives well within his means, doesn't buy big screen televisions, and dutifully recycles everything. However, I take deep exception to the self-congratulatory giddiness on the part of so many of the fashionably environmentalist movement who are highly detached from the realities of economics.

By the way, I notice the dual address on your profile. Do you commute between two homes?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:

By the way, I notice the dual address on your profile. Do you commute between two homes?

its not self congratulatory. i just believe the market has spoken and there is at least one positive spin off from that: we cannot continue to consume ourselves into a financially unsound and environmentally detrimental hellhole. things will be tough and i understand that.
i just pray that my baby daughters idea of social integration doesn't involve something called a MALL!

i don't commute. i will be moving back to the states next year. thanks for the concern though.

Last edited by 58robbo; 09-24-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
However, I take deep exception to the self-congratulatory giddiness on the part of so many of the fashionably environmentalist movement who are highly detached from the realities of economics.

I don't know which of the previous posters you were referring to as being self-congratulatory, but I didn't sense that here. I think most of the "greenies" are more aware than your average person on issues of consumption.

Most greens are also well aware of the impact they make when an economic choice conflicts with the environmental choice. We already have a shortage of available freshwater, for example, and if we continue to pollute it, we're going to have serious problems. Oil is finite, we're going to have to make the greener choice there. I don't see being green as being detached from the issues, I think it's the people who don't care to make any green effort at all that are detached.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:

I just wish that they would just come out with all those better superior inventions that will make life evironmentally safer and cost efficient. I'm all for green, but most money these organizations bring in goes towards lawsuits against what they hate. Why not spend it on new and better technolgy and not the junk that has been put out there that is only workable in theory. The world should be a better and clean energy efficient place because of the efforts of these groups over the last decades and the facts unfortunately show us it's not.

Show us the inventions!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:

Duh.

Neither capitalism (unsustainable, constant growth) nor communism (completely impractical) are the answers for how an economy should be structured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living