Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,216,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The real problem, a lot of greenies, especially the vocal ones are already unemployed. That's why they have time to protest!

Without increasing consumption and demand for products, our economy will collapse. It may already be happening.
the issue with a consumption based economy is that eventually you run out of resources. the problem i have with the existing system is the way it encourages us to spend. imo it encourages us to spend heavily on consumables (instant gratification) because of their low prices and it discourages spending on services (care, education, research) because of their high prices. this comes about because of a misallocation of human resources to wall street away from healthcare, edu...., .......! it also relies heavily on foreign production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM

177 posts, read 261,830 times
Wow, times have changed. Trying to figure out when I have first saw this spending frizzy start to happen. I believe in the mid 80's. that we referred to people who wanted to buy everything in sight and not want to do without, "yippie generation". In the 90's is when products started to become less expensive, i.e. =microwaves, telephones, televisions, cameras, computers and by 2001 is when the dollar stores starting popping up.

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's times were different. People made due with what little they had. You could park a car in the garage. Back then, people usually had one car. Children had school clothes and play clothes. One never played in their school shoes. Fast food restaurants were not prevalent and families did not go out to eat often. People stayed at home to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living