Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

Introducing the GREEN* water bottle | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register (http://tinyurl.com/3mc7bz - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Great idea, but if the bottles are not composted, will they decompose in regular trash? A HUGE part of the water bottle problem now is that people do not recycle them and half the time they don't even end up in the garbage and end up as litter instead. Never understood that line of thought "Hmm, I'm going to drink water instead of soda to make my body healthy and when I'm done with it, I'm going to toss it out my car window and befowl the planet I live on"

Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 AM

132 posts, read 461,101 times
That stuff still has be produced as well, which is a very intensive, water hogging, polluting process...

I prefer to reuse the glasses in my cupboard, or my Nalgene with my free tap water.

Although in the situation cited in the article, disposable things are going to be used no matter what, so it is good that they are composting the plates and bottles.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Oh, I'm with you Nessatar, when I can I use my reusable mug for water and such. But every once in a while, I'm caught without water somewhere and need to buy a plastic bottle. If there is no recycle bin, I'll take it home to recycle it there.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Oh, I'm with you Nessatar, when I can I use my reusable mug for water and such. But every once in a while, I'm caught without water somewhere and need to buy a plastic bottle. If there is no recycle bin, I'll take it home to recycle it there.
Yup, that happens to me too.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Something that biodegrades is great. Hopefully it truly biodegrades on its' own, as Lialleycat pointed out. Remember when it was realized some of the early biodegradable plastic bags didn't degrade in the landfill if they weren't exposed to sunlight?

If they can make these bottles out of corn, I wonder if other types of plant cellulose would also work? Whenever I hear corn these days, I think of the amount of land area needed, subsidies, etc., so I wonder if a plant of less impact would work just as well?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Something that biodegrades is great. Hopefully it truly biodegrades on its' own, as Lialleycat pointed out. Remember when it was realized some of the early biodegradable plastic bags didn't degrade in the landfill if they weren't exposed to sunlight?

If they can make these bottles out of corn, I wonder if other types of plant cellulose would also work? Whenever I hear corn these days, I think of the amount of land area needed, subsidies, etc., so I wonder if a plant of less impact would work just as well?
I suspect that they use the biproducts of corn processing and the stalks etc. Of course, there is still the problem of not returning any of the plant matter to the land and having to rely on chemical fertilizers, but corn farmers do that anyway to a certain extent.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If we put a suitable (say 50 cents each on smaller and a dollar each on the gallon size) return fee on all bottles it would go a long way toward increasing the recycle rate. Coca Cola did it with returnable glass bottles for over 50 years. We could also apply this to lots of other junk like “disposable” spray cans.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Follow up on Deposit bottles - Can you see a consumer paying $5 for a 24 bottle case of water plus a $12 deposit? This is why they ended deposit bottles. It transfered the waste disposal cost to the taxpayer instead of keeping the costs inside the beverage industry.

Remember the neocon watchword - Private wealth - public costs.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Follow up on Deposit bottles - Can you see a consumer paying $5 for a 24 bottle case of water plus a $12 deposit? This is why they ended deposit bottles. It transfered the waste disposal cost to the taxpayer instead of keeping the costs inside the beverage industry.

Remember the neocon watchword - Private wealth - public costs.
We pay a deposit on can and bottles. Pop, beer, wine, etc. Keeps the ditches clean and the grocery store owners whining. 5 cent deposit. Still waiting for a change in the law to include the plastics - that will really irritate those poor money-grubbing grocers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living