Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM

809 posts, read 2,889,140 times

Advertisements

Anybody here read the book "Gorgeously Green"????

I use it as a "guide" to all the horrible products that are in everyday things like body wash, hand soap, face lotion, body lotion...... etc etc etc........

It is HORRIFYING what the companies out there PUT into our everyday products and WE NEVER KNOW!!!!!!!

I stay away from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that has ANY sort of "Paraben" listed in the ingredients (ie: methylparaben, ethylparaben, isoparaben, etc etc etc)....... parabens are known to mimic estrogen in the body and can WREAK havoc on us, causing breast cancer, and other kinds of cancer......... !!!!!!!!

What is sickening to me is HOW many EVERYDAY products have SOME sort of paraben!!!!! AGH!!!

(Not to mention all the OTHER really bad ingredients like Mineral Oil, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laurel Sulfate, etc..... there are SO many bad ingredients! They're usually derived from some icky substance.... like Propylene Glycol is a product that is a "waste" product in the production of oil into gasoline....... ya....... sick!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
SF - I suggest learning some basic and organic chemistry. "icky" is an emotional, not a rational, description. You should look up the chemicals on Wikipedia for basic description. If you do not understand the descriptions then you need to do what I suggested and study some chemistry.

Just for grins look up “pineines” one of the chief ingredients in Pinesol cleaners. You know “that pine fresh smell”. Good stuff.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,434,487 times
the News states that I will die one of these days, and i want to die smelling good.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 AM

i have studied the chemistry of the substances, in fact I took a great deal of time to look up what each ingredient is derived from and yes I use the term ICKY because these ingredients are derived from very DISTURBING substances. (such as propylene glycol derived from crude oil).......

and even if they AREN'T derived some other substance a lot of times these ingredients aren't SAFE like the government wants us to believe.

take for instance Talc..... it has been marketed and sold for years on end, and yet just NOW people are figuring out that it is HORRIBLE to inhale!

Sorry, my health is more important then the CONVENIENCE factor. Everyone just wants INSTANT gratification, and convenience. If I have to go a little out of my way to buy an organic, natural product (or MAKE my own) then I will if it means I won't be slathering myself in ingredients I can hardly pronounce and will probably in the long run kill me by means of CANCER or something

Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
like Propylene Glycol is a product that is a "waste" product in the production of oil into gasoline....... ya....... sick!!!!)
That's called recyling.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's called recyling.

you wana smear crude oil on your face????

you wana smear the BYPRODUCT of crude oil on your face???????

Ya, I sure as heck dont!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,434,487 times
Quote:

you wana smear the BYPRODUCT of crude oil on your face???????

Ya, I sure as heck dont!
some dont want to eat spiders, but many cultures do.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Well. Crude oil is a natural substance, after all. And I fail to see how the prospect of smearing crude oil on my face is any less appealing -- or icky, to use your technical term -- than smearing a combination of rendered pig fat and wood ash on my face.

Give someone credit for figuring out what to do with the byproduct. Mineral oil, as a byproduct of gasoline refining, will continue to exist until a) we engineer a better fuel; or 2) we run out of crude oil. Might as well use the byproduct instead of dumping it into the wastewater system.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well. Crude oil is a natural substance, after all. And I fail to see how the prospect of smearing crude oil on my face is any less appealing -- or icky, to use your technical term -- than smearing a combination of rendered pig fat and wood ash on my face.

Give someone credit for figuring out what to do with the byproduct. Mineral oil, as a byproduct of gasoline refining, will continue to exist until a) we engineer a better fuel; or 2) we run out of crude oil. Might as well use the byproduct instead of dumping it into the wastewater system.

ya, well Im not guna use the product on my FACE or body. No thanks. How bout we find a DIFFERENT way to use by-products then rubbing them all over ourselves and ingesting them........ just cuz they're THERE doesn't mean we HAVE to use them, and certainly doesn't make them GOOD for us

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,810,300 times
Quote:
THERE doesn't mean we HAVE to use them, and certainly doesn't make them GOOD for us
If you want to see something really scary, look up the stats of how many people die every day from inhalation of dihydrogen oxide.

The chemical industry even goes so far as to to tell us that stuff is good for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living